Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok. My steering feels sloppy and my suspension feels loose. Mechanic told me the drivers side tie rod end is shot and needs to be replaced. So i decided to pull the wheel off and take a look.

Now most cars with some milage that ive driven the steering pops and shifts a little. No biggy. In the circle is where my poping lnoise is coming from and it shifts a small amount when you pull on it. Its not at the end like i had hoped. After a little while of turning the wheel back and forth. I notice a squishy sound coming from the same place. Power steering fluid was low last time i checked too. I get the feeling this is going to break the bank. Another question, how much rotateional play should there be there ? I can turn it quite a bit at the end.

2nd question/situation

Good ole' exhaust leak. First. Im a little ignorant. What is the tube thing the arrow is pointing at ?

Where the circle is, there is about a 2 inch slit about half inch mabey wide on the top of the pipe. Could i use some sort of wrap on that ? What about bout some of that putty weld stuff you always seen in the automotive stores ?

I know the correct way would be to replace that pipe, but the bank is running a bit low and Im not in a hurry to dump a bunch of money.

thanks all

And yes, im enjoying my new digital camera quite a bit 8 )

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don't the answer to the first part of your question, but I can tell you the pipe your speaking of is your resonator pipe. From personal experience, I can tell you DO NOT try to skimp and replace it with a straight pipe, unless you consult someone with firsthand knowledge. The local Midas shop suggested replacing mine with a straight pipe after it rusted through. It was loud and caused a lot of vibration. I had to go back to the shop and have them put on a real one, (the long version is that they put on a Honda resonator and I had to go back a 3rd time). Good luck.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Heh, mines not too quiet at the moment. Finally getting around to getting this problem resolved. Could be allot worse though. Its a 94' and im pretty sure everything is original

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Cheap way to fix the exhaust problem is to weld the sports if they arent to big of holes. Otherwise your probably going to have to get a new ressy installed... about $50-60 bucks for the Ressy at a auto store and $20-30 bucks installed? But take it into an exhaust shop and ask them if they can weld the hole or crack for a temporary fix because your low on cash. They'll most likely do it because then they'll think you'll pay them for this and then come back in to get it fixed again when you have money :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts