Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have 123k miles on my mex and I've heard that it's about time for the secont timing belt on it. I had a car for a year and don't know if it ever was changed. I went out and bought one for $30 and just about to inspect my old belt.
CAn anybody give me an advice if it's hard to change it or not, what I need to look for. I do have a repair manual, though, so is it that easy?
Thanks for you time,

Max.

:V Hyunday, Kia, Daewoo

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Change it if you're at all unsure. On the V6, if the belt breaks, no damage will come to the engine. However, on your I4, a broken timing belt is almost guaranteed to result in damaged valves. Big $$$ to fix this...

Changing a timing belt is more in depth than, say, changing spark plugs, but it's not a "hard" job. It just takes alot longer and invloves more bits and pieces. Perhaps the hardest thing is getting the pulley off the crankshaft snout. Everything else is scraped knuckes. Consider doing the the waterpump while you're that far into the engine and change the accessory belt(s) too.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
myself?

Well seems like I need to change my timing belt (although I didn't inspect it yet), and water pump (do I need to change it too)
It looks pretty pricey at Mazda. Can I do it myself? The only engine work I've done myself is a change of alternator;) , but when I wanted to save up on CV boots, after messing with them had to replace the whole axle and spent $300 at MAzda:mad:

So, what will you, guys, suggest?:confused:

Thanx,

Max

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
The timing belt job is more labor intensive than anything. You'll need the Haynes manual (unless you can REALLY keep the cams from not turning). You have to align it right. But it's not a fun job on a transverse engine. Get the Haynes or factory manual and follow it and the job can surely be done by yourself.

I'm just stalling until I have a free weekend to do mine, but I've done a belt on another car and a chain on yet another, so I know what I'm getting into.

Tyson

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
why did you have to change the chain ?

i though chains were maintenance free?

i know i have a few jeep buddies with 250k miles or more on their jeeps with timing chains (same motor as mine, - inline 6 - 4 liters..) and they never replaced the chain, nor was it reccommended that they should..

just wondering :)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I was rebuilding an old overhead-valve (pushrod) engine, hence I removed everything. Replacing the chain was part of it, but I was timing from scratch. Doing the timing belt job, the timing will already be set of course. However, from experience, the camshaft may want to rotate once it's freed from the belt due to the compression of the valve springs. That's why it's handy to have the shop manual available should you lose your timing.

Tyson

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brave enough

OK, I think I'm ready to do it myself...
Timing belt $30; water pump $80; joy of ride in MX6 - PRICELESS,
although I'm going to be cheap this [email protected] And try to do it myself.
I'll keep you, guys, updated.

Max.})

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Mike <<<

"On the V6, if the belt breaks, no damage will come to the engine. "

Sorry to say m8 that if your talking about the V6 2.5 engine there,
if that belt breaks then you got a lot of money to put out as this is deff an interference engine.
Just want to clear that up if you where talking about the V6 2.5
in fact most if not all V6 engine will be damaged if the belt or chain goes.

l8trz...

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
It is common knowledge on this board that the KL03 2.5L V-6 is a non-interference engine while the 2.0L 4 cylinders are interference engines. Several published sources seem to agree with that.

Tyson

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
OK

I ain't gonna make a big issue out of this, but it might be common knowledge on this board, but anyone want to call Mazda up and talk to one of there mechanics and ask them if that is true and a FACT.
I also have it documented that if the belt snaps on this V6 engine and the 2L then you have a prob.
What you gonna say to the guy who reads this post and don't bother his ass to get the belt done because he thinks Oh! well if it snaps then it'll be ok ?.
when you know and so do I that Mazda will tell him that he should have got the belt done at the proper time as the chances are that if the belt snaps it will damage the valves.

P.S.
check you PM mts3

G

·
The timing belt on my KL03 broke at 71k miles while I was going 80 mph (approx. 4000 rpm), it didn't hurt anything. My car currently has 110k miles on it and I haven't had any valvetrain related problems at all.
Maybe I was just lucky.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Done!

OK,
last night I've inspected my timing belt without taking it off. All I did is poped the valve cover and timing belt cover, then carancked engine until it went all the way around and inspected the belt all the way. I bought a new one and compared - they looked pretty much the same. Also there were white marks on my pulleys - sigh of the belt being changed aerlier.

So I didn't spend $400 at MAzda saying :"You can't inspect the belt without taking it off". They were just F***ing with me.

If you can - do it yourself!

Happy motoring,

MAx

1 - 12 of 12 Posts