Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how much timing advance is best for our V6 MX-6's? I have a 93. I want to advance the timing. But I don't know how much is good. Like how much produces the best engine response and total horsepower gains? I've tried running searches for this in here. And I've tried searching for it online. All I've found is people who advanced it. But they never say if that was the best amount, etc.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
The V6 uses a knock sensor and the ECM to adapt the timing for the fuel and conditions provided. For this reason, any change you make to the base timing will be "adapted for" by the ECU, thereby negating anything you try.

For this reason, it makes no sense to go down this route unless you plan to fake out the knock sensor or do something else... or if you change the timing so much that its out of the ECM's control range... in which case you will probably have more problems than you want to know about.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
timing advance does nothing on a stock to fairly heavily modiffed mx6

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
mm2587 said:
timing advance does nothing on a stock to fairly heavily modiffed mx6
nor is it possible like previously stated.

·
Registered
275 Posts
but it would be possible with an eprom reprogram or possibly with an aftermarket ignition system, but as they said before in the stock form you probably would not want to try and just advance the distributor, im not sure how much correction there is in the stock ecu, but i would imagine it would be physically difficult to turn the dist. to the point in which it was out of the stock range, there may not be room or the wire length to turn it that far out.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Anything is "possible"....

Realistically, it's not worth it. Besides which, the whole idea is to run the engine as close to knock as possible. Any more is bad for the engine. The current ECU does this anyway, so doing it yourself is counter productive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts