Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I was just curious since while im doing the water pump and timing belt and putting in cams and all that good stuff. Is the Timing belt cover needed? Or can i not put it back on and anodize or powdercoat the cam gears and make it look nice? Would this work fine or is the Timing Belt Cover needed for some reason? Anyone? Thanks...

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
thats what im doing. IMO the hardest part of replacing the timing belt was getting that damn cover off. im not putting it back on. im pretty sure streetthismx6 left his totally off, i know it was at least partially off.

im modifying my valve covers so that the part where it meets up with the timing belt cover, is gone. i think it looks pretty good so far, ive only got the front valve cover done. im having both VCs and the IM and TBpullies powdercoated when im done.

the timing belt cover, im guessing, is just ment to keep out road debry and moisture. leaving it off may make the TB more likely to slip a tooth but im not too worried about that.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I just saw on Probetalk that quite a few people never put the covers back on and havent had problems? Im not to worried about getting crap in there either so i'm going get my cam gear anodized, polish up the everything in the area and leave the tb cover off.

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
it does so much more then keep out moisture and dirt, it prolongs belt cracking..and keeps debri from getting near the timing belt wich could harm it. I dont think you understand how the car works. The cams are not driven by Gears or Chains, if the belt breaks..and it can... You could junk the engine. The timeing belt its completly enclosed for a reason. Jumping a tooth is bad in my book, your car will run horrible, and a broken belt is worst ever, thats why you should replace them before they break.

If you live where i rains alot, snows, or theres alot of salt from the ocean..keep the cover on. other wise..give it a shot.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I Live in Minnesota but my MX-6 is only driven when its warm out and there is no snow or even sand and salt on the streets. Also i think im going to keep the timing cover on the bottom half but have it cut off up by the cam gears. I mean look at the supras that have theres off...

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
RicedoutMx6 said:
I dont think you understand how the car works. The cams are not driven by Gears or Chains, if the belt breaks..and it can... You could junk the engine. The timeing belt its completly enclosed for a reason. Jumping a tooth is bad in my book, your car will run horrible, and a broken belt is worst ever, thats why you should replace them before they break.
i do know how the engine works, im pretty sure that most people that can take their engine appart and put it back together, do know how it works....... the KL03 is non-interference, so if the timing belt slips a tooth, it would run bad or most likely not even run, but its not that hard to fix that, and major engine damage wont be done. if it ever did slip a tooth, i would probally put the timing belt cover back on, but it'll take time to see whether it will or not. people replace the belt before it brakes as preventative maintnance.

·
Registered
23 Posts
when me and my dad put my motor back toghether we left the cover off, then when we had everything toghether and started it, we couldnt time it bc the timing marks are on the cover. so this time when we put the motor toghether(had a wreck, swapped motor over) we cut the bottom of the cover so that all we put back on was the timing mark on the cover, looks good in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cheeselesspasta said:
when me and my dad put my motor back toghether we left the cover off, then when we had everything toghether and started it, we couldnt time it bc the timing marks are on the cover. so this time when we put the motor toghether(had a wreck, swapped motor over) we cut the bottom of the cover so that all we put back on was the timing mark on the cover, looks good in my opinion.
Yeah thats more less what i was going to be doing. Cut the cover about 1/3 the way up. and put the bottom part on.(cant see that part anywas) and then have the top open by the timing gears. I mean people have been doing it over on Probetalk and seem to have no problems. and RicedoutMx6... I think i have a pretty good idea of how our engine works hence ive been working on it, disecting it, studying on it, etc. I love these engines.... I just like Mazdas....

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
The cam alignment points/marks are on the block rather than the cover.. so that should be ok..

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
funzie said:
but he means to cut the part of the valve cover that has the points to align th sprokets.
huh??? do u know what ur talking about? i dont..... i can email u a pic of the VC ive got done to show u what i did to it...... PM me ur email.

theres a mark on the cam gear and timing belt to align the sprockets, not on the VC

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I dont know what hes talking about either..... isnt the actual alignment marks on the block themself? The only markings on the timing cover is on the bottom by the crank pulley? Which i was going to be leaving on anyways?

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
It talking about the rear valve cover which has 2 marks on it used to align the rear sproket. The front spocket is aligned by a mark which is on the head near the valve cover. Also I suggest cutting the lower part of the timming belt that has the degrees marked on and putting that on. Oh and yes ive had a timming belt get damaged for not having the covers on.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
funzie said:
It talking about the rear valve cover which has 2 marks on it used to align the rear sproket. The front spocket is aligned by a mark which is on the head near the valve cover. Also I suggest cutting the lower part of the timming belt that has the degrees marked on and putting that on. Oh and yes ive had a timming belt get damaged for not having the covers on.
ok i see what your saying now. but are those really nessesary since the timing belt and the gear have marks on them?? plus i could transcribe them to another spot on the VC or make new ones on the gear and head right?? i havent cut the rear VC yet.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
The timming belt isn't marked, the sproket is what is marked. The front one has one mark and the rear one has 3, one aiming to the rear of the rear head, and 2 aiming towards the valve cover. They are there because its almost impossible to look and properly align the rear cams using the rear mark on the rear head. If you remark them make sure you do it with no errors.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts