Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Timing belt kit + extras

Hi,

Any negative issues with "Preferred Components" as a source for timing belt kit and the following extras.

I'm looking at their kit (includes belt, 2 idlers and tensioner bearing/bracket) $139 and the following seperate componants. Hydraulic tensioner $145, and water pump $39.

I started looking online after stopping by Baxters who wanted $458 for just the kit, not including the rest.

Thanks,
Will
1995 mx6 2.5 v6

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
The Preferred Component kit according to their own website dooes not come with the hyrdaulic tensioner or water pump...whoever you are getting it from is adding it in and who knows what quality parts they are substituting. I would stick with Dayco, Contitech, Goodyear, Gates as they are the most common in parts stores and online. The only tensioner arm I would get is OEM replacement.

try www.thepartsbin.com for the t-belt kit and
www.fordpartsonline.com for the tensionerr arm

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip, I'll take a look. The car is at 188k and starting to get a bit noisy. All I'm hoping to do is to get another year/25k or so. Besides the water pump that just went it sounds like my CV joints don't have much longer as well. I've put 100k without any real major work, so I can afford to do a little.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
I'm doing the timing belt and waterpump this winter, you probably found the timing belt kit from PartsDinosaur.com since they are selling it for $139.95, I was looking at that site too as they are little cheaper than ThePartsBin.com which listed for $186.67 from Conti. As waterpump and tensioner, I would just get the waterpump from Autozone and tensioner arm from Mazda since they are not that much cheaper online, just make sure the waterpump has the right pilot shaft, I believe 93-94 use 16mm and 95+ use 32mm.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Be sure that the hydraulic tensioner is an OEM unit... non-OEM parts have been known to fail sooner than OEM. At that price, it should be OEM, but just make sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts