Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow enthusiasts... I was looking for some feedback on teh life of MX-6 timing belts. My MX-6 has 100k miles on it, and I have yet to have the timing belt done. I haven't noticed any loss of performance, but I know that for my year (94), neglect of the timing belt has led to engine damage.

Also, does anyone know if the engine has to come out when replacing the timing belt? I need a new clutch too, and if that is the case, I might just do both of them at the same time to cut down on labor costs.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
The timing belt cover is the black plastic cover behind the belts.

If you have the 4 cyl, it is an interference engine (will damage if belt breaks). The V-6 will not.

The recommended interval is 60000 miles; that's when I had mine done.

Tyson
95 LS

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Definitely have it changed man. Like MTS3 said, 60,000 Miles is enough for one belt. After that, you're better off changing it before it snaps on you and causes internal damage. To replace it, you don't have to pull the engine. You can do it by just removing the engine mount on th epass side and a couple of hoses and then removing the time belt cover. I did mine when I changed all of th epulleys and water pump because I know it's a pain in the ass. The clutch too... you don't have to remove the engine. However, if the engine is out of th ecar.. it will make the install of these two things a whole lot easier. However, I think it will cost more to have the engine pulled then to replace them with the engine in the car.

·
Registered
359 Posts
TIMMING BELT CHANGE

I had my belt changed at 100 000km. I didn't notice any new power gain when I changed my belt. Everything felt the same. The only reason I changed my belt was because I had a tune up done.

·
Registered
216 Posts
timing belt

hey whats up guys, well about the timing belt, well i recommend that you replace it cause I have a 95ls and it has 74k miles on it and about 3 months ago it ripped anyhow it cause the heads to blow!!! at first i didnt know that the heads where blown so i took it it to a mazda delarship and they charged me $528.00 just to replace the damn belt! and then the damn car didnt turn on ,, so then they wanted me to get a new engine for $6,458.00 and i was like fuck that so i took it to a friend and he said to get new heads would be around 1,000 each so then i just decided to rebuild them,, that ran me 124.00each and about 250.00 for labor,,,,,and all thats shit just cause the timming belt was never changed!!!! SO REMEMBER TO REPLACE IT EVERY 60k

has any one else gone through this??

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm slacking too

I've got a 93 Mx6 and she's got 100,000 miles with the original belt but I plan on changing it with my comming paycheck. Hey change your waterpump too while your at it, it's just a good idea.

·
Registered
459 Posts
When you guys mention changing your water pump are you upgrading them or simply replacing them with the stock pump. I was reading abotu an electrical water pump which was more efficient but I'm not sure if they make them for the 6 yet. Anyone know of after market water pumps for the 6??

·
Registered
24 Posts
get it new

I'm no licensed machanic but just from what I've learned.....get a new waterpump. I'm actually in the process myself of price checking. But new is definitly worth it. If your going to go through all of this, you may as well do it all the way ya know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts