Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to find a shop or dealership that can do a routine replacement of my timing belt.

Mine is the NY/CA Emissions version which needed replacement only every 105,000 miles.

I've replaced mine 2X Thec car now has about 190,000 miles on it.

If I follow my Mazda service schedule, I should replace the timing belt by 210,000 miles.

I recently had my rear brake lines replaced at Compass Mazda in Middletown, NY.
They had to fabricate lines as Mazda no longer stocks the parts.

I also asked them to replace the timing belt. The service dept. did not have the special tool to hold the camshafts in position, nor any techs that are old enough and familiar enough with the job to do it.

Help! Anybody know a dealership or independent shop that can do this? Anybody do it themselves? All help appreciated, I'm the original owner and have taken good care of her everything works.

I'd hate to have the timing belt break while I was driving or running it. The (Interference ) engine would self-destruct.

I plan to keep her and use her forever (or as close as I can get!)

Email: [email protected]

Thanks! \(^@^)

·
Registered
369 Posts
If you have the time and basic tools, you can replace the timing belt yourself. There is no special tool needed. Usually the water pump is replaced at the same time, as it is accessible when doing the timing belt.

The 2.5l v engine is a non interference engine.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Goodbar, Thank you.

I thought it was an inteference engine but am glad it is not.

Mazda uses a "Special Tool" to clamp the overhead cams in position so they wont get out of synch as I guess even a small amount of relative movement once the timing belt is off will prevent proper running.

In looking at the Mazda Factory Manual (I have both volumes) for the 94 MX-6 LS they show a kind of clamping tool but it looks like you could just make one out of threaded rod and clamps. I would think you could also mark the camshafts as well, but I have never done this.

I cannot do the work myself as I do not have a space to work plus age considertions.

Have you ever done this replacement? Because I will happily pay someone to do this for me that knows how or to assist me. Is there any You Tube or other video on how to do it?

Thanks again, Goodbar and for any others who can help.

Best,
Porker. \(^@^)
[email protected]

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have done this several times. I prefer to take my time, meaning I am not in a hurry to get the car back up and running when I work on it. It could probably be done in 4 hours if someone wanted to. You don't need a special tool to keep or hold the camshafts in place. You can always stick a wrench or something in there to keep them from moving. But I have never even had to do that.

Haynes manual has a good write up how to do this. Also I have a good write up in a file from a member that could be sent to you. As an aside, I have changed out the timing belt at the recommended intervals, but have not even seen any wear on it, so it probably could have been left running as is for a lot longer. Usually the water pump becomes a problem before the timing belt does, so you change out the water pump and timing belt at the same time.

I have had the car since 1998 and have not had to have it towed once. I was shocked back then when I found this car for $ 9,000, or should I say that I could have a car as nice as this for $ 9,000. But you do have to take care of it, put new parts in it, recommended maintenance, all those things. If not I have seem some that looked really shabby and deteriorated.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Goodbar,
Thanks again for the courtesy of your helpful replies

Your deal for 9K back in '98 was a VERY good deal. I purchased my '94 MX-6 LS new in the fall of '93 for over $25 K.

These are great cars, one of the best designed I think and I wish they had continued making them, esp. if they offered an all-wheel drive model or a convertible.

They did actually design a convertible, Code Name "Denver" but never offered it for sale. I will try to attach a pic of that.

At one point I did decide to sell my MX-6 (which we call "Ruby") and posted about it here on mx6.com. You may still be able to see it here as "Selling Miss Ruby" but I decided I cared for her too much to sell her as you can see and read my reasoning as well as some of the stuff I have done and, I think, see some pics if they are still there.

As you have experience and seem knowledgable, I wonder if you would consider changing my timing belt, or even better, timing belt and water pump?

I no longer have a place to work on cars, although I have worked on the car for all the years I have had it. I used to have a house, barn, workshop, etc. then but have since sold them.

I live in Riverdale, NY which is about 4 miles N of the George Washington Bridge in NYC. Do you live anywhere nearby?

I have another car and would not be in a big hurry to have the Mazda quickly turned around and I also agree that the water pump should always be replaced when a timing belt is (and that quick work isn't necessarily good work)

If you do live within a reasonable driving distance and are amenable I would be happy to pay you what you would like and could bring the car to you.

Please let me know and we can continue our discussion by email:
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

my email is: [email protected]

Thanks again, very much, for your help. I really do want to keep my MX-6 as long as I can.

I would also be grateful if you could send me the write-up in the file from the member you mentioned. An attachment to an email would be great and reach me more easily.

Sincerely,
porker999

·
Registered
369 Posts
I see you have a Porsche 911. If you can, this would be a great opportunity for someone with 1st hand knowledge to discuss the difference between owning and driving a Porsche 911 vs. a Mazda MX6. The MX6 was always referred to as the poor man's Porsche. How true it that ?

I don't have a shop or a garage. I just work on my car and a few others around here. The last few months spent a little time repairing a 1999 Ford truck, 2013 Kia Sedona, 2006 Honda Accord, 2003 Mercedes. I have become a little bit sought after around our building complex, as they save so much money compared to a shop or dealer.What those places charge for the parts is outrageous. For the 1999 Ford pickup, there were repairs to be made, but one thing it really needed was a replacement plastic dash. Those things crack, break, and splinter and make the interior look ugly. Lucky for the owner I found a replacement with no cracks during one of my junkyard trips. It was the only one in the entire junkyard that wasn't cracked and broken like his.

Here is my 1994 MX6. Happy motoring !

Car Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Tire

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I see you have a Porsche 911. If you can, this would be a great opportunity for someone with 1st hand knowledge to discuss the difference between owning and driving a Porsche 911 vs. a Mazda MX6. The MX6 was always referred to as the poor man's Porsche. How true it that ?

I don't have a shop or a garage. I just work on my car and a few others around here. The last few months spent a little time repairing a 1999 Ford truck, 2013 Kia Sedona, 2006 Honda Accord, 2003 Mercedes. I have become a little bit sought after around our building complex, as they save so much money compared to a shop or dealer.What those places charge for the parts is outrageous. For the 1999 Ford pickup, there were repairs to be made, but one thing it really needed was a replacement plastic dash. Those things crack, break, and splinter and make the interior look ugly. Lucky for the owner I found a replacement with no cracks during one of my junkyard trips. It was the only one in the entire junkyard that wasn't cracked and broken like his.

Here is my 1994 MX6. Happy motoring !

View attachment 14954
Goodbar,
Thank you again for your replies.

Your MX-6 LS is very clean and good-looking and I see you are using the original wheels, which I think are unique to the 1994 Model Year. I always liked them and thought they went very well with the MX-6 design.

Is that the original window glass or is that tinted? It looks pretty dark. I guess that is necessary in Houston because of the high average temps there.

I have Blizzaks mounted on my original wheels for the winter, but have not had to use them on her for a while as the winters here have been relatively mild and they weren't really needed. "Global Warming"?

I assume you read the "Selling Miss Ruby" posts.

I do have a 911 C2S Cab which we enjoy very much. I don't recall hearing the MX-6 referred to as the "Poor Man's Porsche". They are pretty different-front wheel drive vs rear wheel drive, a BIG difference in power and handling, etc. I think the Mazda might be better in snow, with the most weight over the drive wheels, but the 911 is also good in snow for the same reason.

With the Blizzaks, I have never been stuck in snow with the MX-6, and that includes some pretty bad and deep snow that hindsight tells me I should not even had been out driving in.

Perhaps it is because when they came out, (MX-6's) they were sold as a 6 cylinder V. and a 4 cylinder V-just like the 911 6 cylinder V and the 912 4 cylinder version. I think the Mazda MX-6 6-cylinder even had some technology that Porsche later used.

The MX-6,I think, drives very well in it's own way. It feels much quieter and "calmer" to drive and I don't notice any real lack of ability in handling for the car...not so easy to tell any big difference from front-wheel vs. rear wheel in this case and unless pushed pretty hard, the MX-6 seems to handle very well.

Another similarity between the cars is that, in my experience, if you do take care of the required maintenance in both cars, they will be very reliable and trouble free. With the Mazda it almost seems that she has some kind of "self-healing ability" in that various minor noises and small issues often seem to go away.

When switching between cars, the Mazda always seems so much bigger inside and of course has it's surprisingly large trunk and bigger rear seats, which fold down. The 911 also has rear seats that fold down, but no pass-thru, of course. I can see where you can say that the MX-6 is a "poor man's Porsche" because of some of the the similarities but I don't think there is anything "poor mans" or cheap about the Mazda-its just different, although there is a bit of a difference in the price.

Were you able to see the pic of the MX-6 convertible...the "Denver"?
If they had sold them, I would not have gotten the Porsche. I had a 1966 911 when I was in college-Irish Green with a tan interior and it had a gasoline heater housed in the front trunk...or "frunk".

Lots of interesting stories about that car. I parked it on the street in Manhattan until I could find garage parking...had to wait a couple of years on the Columbia U wait list to finally get one. They frequently would use a screwdriver or something to pry open the vent windows to steal stuff, but for some reason never stole the Blaupunkt radio.

I had to put a piece of plywood and a crossbar and bolt inside across the drivers side vent window pretty much every year or two but when the NYS Inspection time came I had to put a new vent window in again.

There was some kind of drug halfway-house not too far and I think that was part of the problem.

Once they stole the spare tire and wheel from the trunk, They just pressed down on the front trunk and actually bent it so it would pop open. Amazingly, I was able to put pressure on the inside of the lid and it popped back to its original shape completely...not even a dent. That was a bit of luck.

A day later, a friend that lived on my street asked me if I had lost a spare tire. He had found it farther up the block, tossed down a building's cellar steps. Must have been too heavy to carry far... also a bit of luck.

Considering what '66 911s are selling for now, I wish I had kept it.

One big difference, of course, is the cost of repairs and maintenance. The last time I had an oil change at a Porsche dealership, it was over $350. Of course, she does have about 10 qts of Mobil 1, vs. the 4 in the Mazda, but hey....

The 911 is actually fairly easy to work on for the most part and there are lots of things you can do yourself. The MX-6, of course, is also pretty easy to work on and is refreshingly simple and straight-forward compared to today's cars.

I have gotten a Fumoto oil drain valve for the Porsche but have not installed it yet. I can also reach the oil filter on the Porsche from underneath, maybe without even raising her, although I have not tried that yet. It looks possible.

You can, of course, change the oil yourself but unless the Maintenance Reminder is turned off, it persists with it's warning in the dash and a special tool/software is needed to turn the warning off and reset the reminder. Then you need to go to Porsche, unless you have the tool to turn it off or reset it yourself.It starts counting down the days at about a month before the oil service is needed until it finally say's "SERVICE NOW". You almost expect her to start yelling at you! But it's not really a bad idea to have that Service Reminder.

The 911 has appx. a one-year interval between oil changes, monitored by an algorithm of some kind and the "Service Reminder", although I think the oil should be changed more often then that. However, I have not seen any evidence of excessive oil use or oil burning in either car. Nice to have the dipstick in the Mazda compared to NO dipstick in the Porsche.

You can actually see and smell the oil in the MX-6 just by looking at the dipstick and did you ever have a dipstick malfunction? Maybe Porsche thinks it's customers don't want to get their hands dirty. Another example of "If it ain't broke-don't fix it!"

I think every car should come from the factory with a Fumoto valve or the equivalent.It makes oil changes much easier and cleaner and simpler and no more worries about stripped threads with the oil plugs and oil drain threads. You no longer have to remove and replace the oil drain plug and I can even reach under her and drain the oil without jacking her up.

When you are used to the MX-6, it doesn't really feel like it lacks power-she seemed always to have good pick up and speed to me. Of course, the MX-6 is lighter. One similarity between the two is that it is easy to drive faster than you think you are in both cars.

The Porsche does not seem to be all that powerful (relatively speaking) when you first start driving from a stop but builds power quickly as the revs increase. The Mazda seems to have more power when it first starts off, but of course the gearing and final drive ratios, etc is different between them.

The Porsche is a 5-speed Tiptronic and the Mazda a 4-speed automatic and the Porsche is set to start out in second gear by default, likely as a gas-saving strategy.

Police do seem to be more interested in the Porsche, however, apparently believing all 911 drivers will speed if and when they can. I have noticed them a couple of times following the Porsche at a distance for a while, I guess waiting for me to speed.

People seem to really like the MX-6 although most don't know what it is, thinking it's something exotic and maybe Italian like Ferrari. I have had people ask me that. It still turns heads.

Once you are used to the 911, which has somewhat scary speed and power, you do begin to see other cars in a different way. Which is true for lot's of cars, I guess. It's a great temptation to just floor it. Sometimes people want to drag race you at stoplights but I don't.

It sounds like you are a pretty good all-around mechanic from the cars you mention working on.

The prices of parts and labor, especially at dealerships is indeed very high. All dealerships now.

So, much good karma to you for your kindness in helping others by working on their cars

I will attach a recent pic of Portia.

Thank you again very much for the courtesy of your informative replies

Good motoring to you too also and again, good karma to you as well.
Wheel Car Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle
Wheel Car Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle

Best,
porker999. \(^@^)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts