Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys a couple of days ago my water pump went, i towed it to my house took it out and replaced it with a new one. The problem now is that when I put the timing belt back on (and I followed Haynes instructions) and turn the crank shaft the belt seems to go over to one side and almost rub. I tried playing around with the tensioners and the spring but still the belt does not stay straight. I would appreciate any help that I can get.

ps: before I took off my timing belt it was set to 0 or o, but in a post about water pump removal/isntallation it says to set the camshaft pulley to 1.

thanks in advance,
Tony

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
I would help here, but my manuals only cover 93 on models.... I'm sure someone will be able to help though...

John

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sooo no one has an answer to my question? I guess I have to take it to a mechanic :(

P.S. I tried a new timing belt and it still did not fix the problem

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
Sorry nobody has come up with an answer Tony, the only thng I can think of is a bent pulley, although this would be very unusual..

John

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im going to go to the local junkyard to pick up a new water pump, idler, and tensioner I am going to use one as a reference and hopefully I can figure this thing out.
Thanks for the replies John i really appreciate it.

Tony

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey guys there are 3 rubber seals around the water pump (1 across the top and 1 on either side) could that be throwing my timing belt off? If so plz get back to me, its going to be a loooong night. :D

Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
I don't think the rubber seal will affect the belt... it should be nowhere near it..

John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts