Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried searching for info. on how to do the timing belt by yourself but could not find anything that gives really good detailed instructions on how to do so. Now I know the Haynes manual comes in handy but I wanna know how to do it from experienced 6'ers that have done one before. Can anyone help? Also, I might be selling my 6 after I do the timing belt. If anyone is interested and lives or will be in the Harrisburg, PA area let me know and I can give details about the car. Just to get you interested, I'm propably going to let it go for about $1k. I'll most likley have to post it all in the 4 sale forums but we'll cross that bridge when I get there.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
It's been a while since I did mine, I can't really remember a whole lot about them- except make sure you clear out about a day for it, that should leave you plenty of time.

What are the specs on the car?
I know '93 LS
Color
Body cond
Miles
5spd or auto
Anything else wrong with the car?
How much if You were to sell as is, no belt replacement?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The color of the car is black. It has about 205k miles on it. A lot of the work done to it to keep it in the condition that its in was all done by me and my brother-in-law so I don't really have any paper work for tune ups, oil changes and so on. The body condition is pretty good. It has one small dent on the front fender of the driver side from me trying to break loose a bolt to remove the caliper. Other then that, it just has some paint chips on the front hood from rocks and stuff. The black and gray interior is in good condition except for a small cigarette burn in the back seat. I think the clutch or maybe even the transmission is slipping a little bit because I noticed that when I would drive, the RPM's would go up about 1 or 2k before it would drop back down and really start to accelerate. The clutch is an OEM replacement which was just installed around this time last year. It has a Pace Setter exhaust which will need a new gasket for the exhaust flange. Yellow top battery, K&N air filter, chipped ECU (from what the previous owner told me), 16 inch alloy wheels (type unknown but will show in upcoming pics), Eibach pro lowering kit and some others that I have to think about. What I will do is clean it up (it’s dirty because it has been sitting in front of my house for about a week) and take some pics inside and out for those who are interested. I figured that for the condition its in I would let it go for about $1k. I would need that money for me putting a down payment on another car since I only have one other SUV and my girl uses that for work. I can give more details later but for now I need to go.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
1st thing ... buy a CAMLOCK ... it will keep your camshafts locked in place so u dont ahve to worry about them going out of time

2nd .. be SURE you are at TDC before you remove the crank pulley

3rd .. take your time ... remember your sparkplug firing order, distrbutor timing all the little stuff that will make ti go easier

Some specialty tools that youll need ... (optional is the cam lock but it saves lives)

1. 10mm allen head (i think)... go to sears
2. in/lb and ft/lb torque wrench
3. breaker bar
4. impact ... youll probably need it for the bolt holding the pulley on ...

and of course your normal tools, jack stands etc

1 - 7 of 7 Posts