Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
well my new car is making some noise from the timing belt area like a gobble almost at idle lol and when i drive once it warms up it sounds like a supercharger so i guess its time for a new timing belt. ive read about people having issues with the goodyears and noise.

anyone have somewhat regular luck with any brand of timing belt and pulleys? never did one before so im not familiar with the companies. i was thinking about the dayco belt and pulley kit. thanks in advance

·
Banned
2,630 Posts
Use Oem.

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
The noise in the timing belt area does not usually indicate a problem with the belt......unless your getting a flapping noise, indicating that the belt is frayed and touching the belt cover on the pass.

That noise you describe could be the tensioner/idler bearings, in which case if your replacing them you might as well put a new belt on when you have it all apart....I use Gates belts....but dayco or Oem are all much of a muchness I wouldn't expect any life variation between them

The other thing to look out for, A "super charger whine" noise coming from the timing belt area, could indicate a problem with the oil pump or intake pipe, or power steering oil pump

some people get caught out thinking that the timing belt is the issue, when in fact the power steering fluid is low (when the pump draws air in with the oil it can make this kind of noise) in the same way the engine oil pump will make that kind of noise too when it is sucking air, which can be due to a blocked intake pipe, low oil, or bad pump.

my advice is to check your p/s fluid level, then check you engine oil pressure (when cold and when hot) then start pulling the timing belt covers off.

·
Registered
819 Posts
One of the guys on this site had a problem with goodyear timing belt he used and it made the same exact sound you are talking about and at the same times. Also, I had a noise coming from that area but it turned out to be a belt tensioner or idler pulley ( I don't know which one because I replaced both ) and the noise went away.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i would say it could be the oil pump or ps but the gobble sound i get at idle increases with rpm untill it becomes the constant sound which i describe as the whine.

how would i check the oil pressure? i guess i need one of those gauges that screw into the oil sending unit correct?

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
how would i check the oil pressure? i guess i need one of those gauges that screw into the oil sending unit correct?
The factory sender is just a switch, you would need to replace that either temporarily or permanently with a gauge sender..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts