Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I have *just* bought a gorgeous silver 93 MX6. My boyfriend and I drove down to Melbourne from Canberra to buy it (not many 6's up here) and I drove it back last night (Monday), so I've only had 24hrs worth of ownership but I am already in love with her :D

I clicked over to 95,000kms on the way home and so I have been thinking ahead to the big 100k service. I am under the impression the timing belt will need replacing.

Is this the case and if so, how much?

Cheers

·
Registered
672 Posts
Hmmmm I dont know...I went over the 100K mark
Ive had my car checked extensively and no mechanic has said it was necessary to have the belt replaced its it A1 condition.

The rough cost which ive been told is about $300-$350 for it...Ide rather put that money to something else if its not necessary.

By the way congratulations on purchasing your vehicle....
Im supprised that you had to come down to us here in Melb for a MX6, would have thought that they would be everywhere.

I know here in Melb we never have a shortage of MX6s

:D

·
Registered
73 Posts
I own a first generation MX-6 which has a completely different engine than yours.

I had the timing belt replaced at 100000 Klms because it was part of the service and I had the money to do it. However there was nothing wrong with the original belt when it was taken out and examined.
It's a preventative measure, if the timing belt fails it will cause a lot of damage to the engine. Mazda make it part of this service interval for that reason not that they expect it to fail.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm $300-$350 is a fair bit of money, but at the same time I would hate to do any damage to the engine - the car is in great shape at the moment for her age and I'd like to keep it that way. I have a mechanic friend so I might talk it over with him.

Thanks for the congrats Darko, I am very happy with my buy. There is usually only one or two 6's in the paper each weekend here in Canberra and I wanted only a Silver or White manual, which ruled most cars out.

Mel

·
Registered
672 Posts
I can understand the preventative measures are there, but when you get told by Mazda (unusually so) that the belt is in perfect condition there is no need to replace it.. I dont understand...Then again previous owner may have changed it at a real early stage...

Who knows....All I know is that Ive saved some money. :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey thanks Losiho - I started reading my manual when I got home from Melbourne on Monday night but I fell asleep before I got to that part... :)

I am more than happy to put it off the timing belt for another 10,000kms as my finances are starting to drain..there's so much to do and so little money!

I'm paying almost $960 to insure my '93 for $20k with the maximum no claim bonus (AAMI insurance). If anyone has a better deal please let me know which company and I'll check it out.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I pay $700 and have it covered for $25,500...
Im on a rateing 1 policy. I insured with RACV
Its the only Insurance company next to a broker who would insure the MX6.

After calling up 6-8 different companies, only RACV would insure me, aparantly the 93+ V6 MX6 has been put in a non insurable class by insurance companies, something to do with power/weight ratio and cost of repairs making it an expensive insurance vehicle... :(

Victoria has some wierd ass insurance categories so ive found.

What a laugh...

·
Registered
73 Posts
My premium went up by $80 this year too. But look on the bright side we could be WRX owners tee hee.
Dom.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The company I am with has just put a ban on all under 25 yr olds for the MX6 - I have just scraped in having turned 25 in January... yay!

Another company people might want to consider is Shannons. They mainly do vintage and classic cars but they will insure modified cars. They quoted me $1300 and said I could "do anything to the car that's legal", whereas with AAMI I am allowed only 2 mods and I'm not allowed to change the pedals, steering wheel or gear stick.

·
Registered
672 Posts
6girl said:
The company I am with has just put a ban on all under 25 yr olds for the MX6 - I have just scraped in having turned 25 in January... yay!

Another company people might want to consider is Shannons. They mainly do vintage and classic cars but they will insure modified cars. They quoted me $1300 and said I could "do anything to the car that's legal", whereas with AAMI I am allowed only 2 mods and I'm not allowed to change the pedals, steering wheel or gear stick.
:D
Yea I forgot to mention also that those who do insure you now have a restriction that drivers have to be 25+ I also fall in that category.

Shannons is good for insurance but they are too pricey, AAMI who ive been with previously with my other cars is a little pricey, but when it comes time to pay up for repairs etc they find $#!7 to void your cover... I dont trust them as far as I could throw them. :D

Just Cars is ok for insurance when nobody else will insure you. :)

What ever you do stay away from the brokers....they are really dodgy.

·
Registered
621 Posts
100k service

Hi 6girl.

Good move getting a '6. There's not enough young girls driving them ...
(booh Suzuki Vitari death car, and Hyundai Excels)

Re 100k service. I've always had my belts done on all my cars at 100k. This is due to a broken belt on a company car I once had that let go in a big way and cause $2k damage to engine, in other words, start again big boy.

I had the 100k click over last month and had belts and the service done. In all it cost $700 which was for all the belts (overkill? maybe) and the plugs, oil (mobil1), air and oil filters, and the other preventative 100k items.

Additionally they cleaned my car, sprayed it inside
with "toilet smell", left me a calendar and some melted chocolates!

Strongly recommend the timing belt tho' You just don't ever want one to go on you.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmmm

I've spoken to my local Mazda dealer and when I asked why the service book said to do the cam belt at 105k he said it was just because that was when the service was due if you follow the book. He said it was no problem to do it at 100, 105 or 110 - just whenever your service is due.

As I have just had a service at 95k and am going to start doing them every 5k instead of 7.5 I will probably just stick to the book and do it at 105k.

Ric - $700 sounds pretty good for the 'big' service as I found out last night the cam belt is around $400 alone without labour.

Have a great Easter everyone!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wow. Thats gotta hurt especially for a car that age. I live in Brisbane and insurance on my '89 turbo 4ws costs me $624. I am over 30 however, the premium has gone up by $80 since last year. I've never made a claim and have insured the MX6 through the same place for seven years. The car is garaged in a respectable suburb.
Hmm. I wonder if I should tell them about the mods I'm going to do,.,.,

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm pretty sure you have to tell them about modifications, because if you don't and you have an accident, they won't cover you, especially for any mechanical stuff like suspension and engine things. As far as they are concerned you have factory stuff, unless you tell them otherwise.

I have made one claim, on my Mum's insurance when I rear ended someone in her car (oops...) that didn't help.

Your insurance really goes down after 25, and again after 29, my Mum's insurance for a car with a similar value is less than half of mine...

It beats having no car and a loan to pay off, but not by much.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Whoa!

Suddenly my $960 is looking a bargain!

I'm glad the 6 isn't in the same category as Rex's and 200sx's. Besides which, who wants to drive a car that every stupid kid in their beat up car wants to race off the lights - I'd get sick of that kind of attention pretty quickly. I like the admiring kind of looks I get when I drive my 6 - I even had about a dozen school boys crowding around while I reversed out of a carapark on Wednesday - they just wanted to see the 4WS.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Re: Whoa!

6girl said:
Suddenly my $960 is looking a bargain!

I'm glad the 6 isn't in the same category as Rex's and 200sx's. Besides which, who wants to drive a car that every stupid kid in their beat up car wants to race off the lights - I'd get sick of that kind of attention pretty quickly. I like the admiring kind of looks I get when I drive my 6 - I even had about a dozen school boys crowding around while I reversed out of a carapark on Wednesday - they just wanted to see the 4WS.
Speaking of attention....honest to goodness since ive gotten my MX6 ive had alot of girls stopping me and or comeing up to me on the street to complement on how "sexy/hot/nice" my car is. :)

Ive had the girls ask me to take them for drives, to take them out, and on one occasion I had one offer to meet the parents...

Im finding this strange, as I didnt really think anyone could get this kind of attention. :D

But im enjoying it, my friends find it cool....

·
Registered
672 Posts
Losiho said:
The only real attention I've had from the opposite sex was the snobby old fossile who owns my local Dry Cleaners ! Not the kind of attention I am after :)
Sorry but this is gonna sound cruid...but as the saying goes "ANY HOLES A GOAL" :p

Sorry!!!

Seriously I get alot of attention by females in the West of Melbourne, its funny my cars stock...but clean and looked after.!!!!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
No doubt about it, us MX6 owners are lucky to own a very cool car. Especially the 1st gen. MX6 it's the coolest (I'm biased). Honestly, a suprising number of people have commented on how much they like my car and it's 11 years old. But still in great shape...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts