Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just hit 120,000. Mazda says I need a new timing belt. Anybody know how hard it is? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
99 Posts
hey whats up?

i changed both of my belts when i first got my car, its not hard -im not sure which belt is which-so ill try to explain them both... by the way i have a V-6 manual(i dont know if this makes a difference but thought i should mention it)
anyways....
there should be a bolt with the head facing up right over by the belt(right front if ur sitting in the car) turn this bolt untill it gets looser and looser, u should see one of the pulleys moving also, keep doing this untill the belt is loose enough to pull off(im not sure of ur age or hand size, i am 17 and had a little trouble getting my hand in there to pull off the belt) but once it is off then just put the new belt on and tighten it untill it feels pretty tight then start ur car and let it run for a sec, then go feel the belt again and if its loose tighten it some more...

for the other belt is very similar to the first belt, except the bolt is underneath the car, i took the right front wheel off for better access-the plastic gaurd kinda got in my way-u might need a extra set of hands to pull it away so u can unscrew the bolt... this works then same way as i first described-a pulley should start coming loose then pull the belt off, ect.

well i hope this helps-if u have any questions let me know...

IMPORTANT-remember the exact route of the belt over the pulleys(i drew a picture to help me remember)

peace

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
If you use the search feature of this board, you'll find it. The 4 cylinder is an interference engine (break the timing belt and you may bend valves). The V-6 is not. Set aside about $300 for the job from the dealer, and buy a new $100 water pump while you're at it. Or do both yourself (About $150 in parts, a day or two labor). The Haynes manual will tell you all about it.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I was just thinking about getting this doen too. Is it really that easy to do yourself? No adjustments that someone from a shop should do? Also is it necessary to do the water pump at the same time?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think that PimpTown is describing the acessories belt. You have to remove the timing belt covers if you are going to replace it. Probably not as easy as replacing the acessory belts.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The translation is "I am going to kill your cat" If anybody can prove me wrong, feel free, but I got the translation from someone straight out of Germany.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts