Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled my distributor out of my 4 cil and when i put it back it wont start what do i do it made the worst noise in the world too help

·
Registered
172 Posts
you probably fucked up your firing timing, I personally have no idea how to fix that. your best bet is probably to go somewhere, unless someone on here can walk you through it

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well ik that lol i need to know how to fix it. I cant bring it anywhere. Its in my garage it wpupd be hard as hell to get out

·
Registered
250 Posts
First you need to find TDC (Top Dead Center).
Remove both plugs from the distributor and the spark plug for the number one cylinder.
Either put the spark plug wire back in the number one hole or a rag (rag does _not_ go all the way in the cylinder, just packed fairly tight into the top of the spark plug hole.
Get in and turn the key to the 'start' position over and over (in short bursts, don't just hold the key in the start position). You'll know you're on the compression stroke when the rag or wire (I recommend the rag) pop out of the spark plug hole.
After that get out of the car, and put a long rod or screwdriver in the number one cylinder (the rod should be resting on the top of the piston).
Now turn the engine over with a wrench. You'll need a 1/2" drive socket wrench (that's the largest one, the medium 3/8" will probably work also). A 5" extension and the correct socket (I believe it's a 21mm but may be 20 or 22).
Put the socket on the crank pulley (there's a hole in the splash guard about halfway up on the passenger side).
Turn the engine (may be difficult but should be fairly easy). until the screwdriver is as tall as possible, if it starts getting shorter then you passed TDC, just turn backwards until your in the right spot. Also remember it's better to be just before TDC than after.
Now remove your distributor and the distributor cap.
Matching the positions on the cap rotate the rotor until it's positioned for the number one cylinder (marked on the cap which one).
when it's in the right spot put the distributor in and put it all back together.
When you put the distributor in you'll not that there's a bolt slot instead of a bolt hole when you put the disty in the bolt should end up in the middle of the slot. Bolt it back on but leave it just a little loose sot hat it will turn clock or counter clockwise.
Have someone else start the car, if it doesn't start or it's running rough then turn the distributor either up or down until it's running properly. If that doesn't work you made a mistake with the rotor position and you'll have to do it over again.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Donthave one or know how to use it but thats bacilly how the manual told me to do it couldnt i just yurn the wheel to move the pistons

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Are your spark plugs wires in the correct order on the distributor cap?

Did you put the distributor in with the rotor 180 degrees off?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a bunch angry dave it worked. I did the ignition thing and its runnin now better then befor i think lol

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What happend was i pulled the disty out to get a better angle on the header bolys and the splines on the end got moved i just had to put it tdc and puy the marking on it for tdc and its fixed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts