Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The continuing saga of trying to fix the '99 626 that my daughter overheated...
I was preparing to take the front head off to check the gasket, so was getting cylinder #1 to TDC. The issue is that all the timing marks, camshaft gears, camshaft sprocket, and crankshaft, all showed they were dead on, but the #1 piston was closer to the bottom of the stroke? To be fair, it was on its way to the top of the compression stroke though.
I'm wondering if, when the car overheated, died, and she had to pull over if that messed up the timing? Because the car wouldn't start, we did check the compression on a couple of cylinders and saw it was at 50 and 80 PSI. We thought it was related to a blown head gasket but are now wondering if it's also timing? If the timing was truly off, to begin with, could that lead to overheating issues? I don't see how. but crazier things have happened.
Lots of questions, but really I'm just wondering if the piston should be at TDC when the marks are aligned?

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
242 Posts
This doesn't make sense if the timing marks on the camshaft are correctly lined up when the crankshaft is at its TDC mark. If they are, then the #1 piston has to be at the top of the stroke near the valves. How much overheating was there ? If you are hearing strange noises down near your feet that sound like they are coming from the bottom of the engine, that means the piston rod bearings have suffered damage.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
If you are pulling the front head off, you're looking at cyl 2, not 1. Unless you're pulling both heads off, but above you mentioned cyl 1, but that you're pulling off the front head, and sounded like the front only. Front head is 2,4,6.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts