Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had to replace the timing belt a few times due to not using a Mazda OEM belt, and they had a tendency to losen and jump teeth effectivly killing the engine until a new one was put on.

Anyway, I have been feeling a loss of power between 5000 and about 6500 rpms, which is where the most power should be. Odd part is that after 6500 rpms it seems to pick power back up. I know my VRIS is working, so I went to check my timing to make sure the mechanic timed it properly. Well, I couldn't find the timing marks. I called the mechanic up, and he said that when they installed the belt, my timing marks on the engine were not there, and for me to just adjust the distributor until it "felt right".

Does anybody know a correct way to set my timing if there are no timing marks on the engine?

Karma for all good help.

·
Registered
316 Posts
start with the disty about in the middle and keep advancing it until you hear it knock (it'll soundle like bolt rattleing in a coffee can) once you hear that you've gone too far so turn it back a bit. this will take a while cuz you'll have to keep jumping the ground and ten terminals on the diagnostic port, and taking it off to test it.

Reactions: tchnprgrmr
1 - 3 of 3 Posts