Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any body here checked their own timing belt before? is it hard to do... my mecaninc said once you have the top of the engine off to see it , you might as well replace it, since he sais its hard to do?
anyone checked their timing belts before? please help

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
On an MX-6 (V-6 that is) it's not too difficult to see just a tiny portion of the belt. You can do so by removing the top two timing cover bolts that go into either valve cover. (The bolts that go through the black plastic into the aluminum). That will let you peel back just a little bit of the cover to see the belt.

To replace it, the front wheel has to come off; the splash panel (inner fender plastic), engine mount, and accessory belts must all be removed. What joy.

Too bad Mazdas aren't like Subarus....the cover is 3 pieces, and you can remove the ends to see most of the belt to inspect its condition.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If it's due to be changed do it.

Once the mechanic has the engine all apart you might as well have him change the timing belt while he's in there cause there's 5-7 hours of labour involved. Have him check the water pump and other belts at the same time and replace that too if needed, they can be done all at same time and save you some labour charges down the road.

I just got my timing belt, waterpump (was leaking) and a couple of belts (alternator,power steering belt and belt tensioner) changed at 109,000 km and it cost me about 7.5 hrs of labour (labour=$450 cdn. @ $59/hr) Job cost me around $1100 cdn parts and labour at my local trustworthy mechanic.

It's a big job but will last about 5 years give or take. (60,000 miles or 100,000 km).

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Man your mechanic must be ripping you! The local Mazda dealer did my timing belt for me and charged 4 hrs of labor (they use the job rate, not actual time) although they actually did it in less than 4 hours. Total labor cost was around $200.

Tyson

·
Registered
100 Posts
No just a lot of stuff to do.

I trust this guy and my dad's used him a lot. The guy i bought it from took real shitty care of it and let all of this maintenance add up. Like I said he had to change alot of belts, the water pump and pulley, alternator belt, belt tensioner, powers steering belt plus the timing belt. Nothing was under warranty anymore too.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
5-7 hours????

jeez... i pulled an engine, put the tranny on a new engine, dropped both of those in and bolted everything up in 7 hrs...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts