Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced my disty. The issue. When I try to adjust the timming, no matter how much i move the disty ,the timming mark dosnt move.its stuck at like 13 to 15 btdc .i have ground and ten together,idle speed is 650 . i followed what the manual said.
Any ideas wy this might happen???

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what you are saying is, I'm a tooth off ? Not that you are wrong but wouldn't that nock the timming way off? I'll try it and see what happens. Another thing is, When i cross ten & ground w/ the motor running the cooling fans come on. I dont remember this happening in the past. Are they suppose to come on.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Not necessarily. You could be a tooth (or a few teeth) off, and it'll run, it's just that it'll run like [shizzle]. Try removing the disty (remove the cap and mark the rotor position first) turn it about 1/4 turn clockwise, that should advance the ignition timing if I remember correctly. when you bolt it back in leave the bolts that attach the disty just loose enough that you can turn it still. then move it clockwise/counterclockwise until it sounds better. When you put the disty in it should be 'clocked' so that the mounting bolts are around the middle of the bolt slot. that will give you maximum adjustment.

Edit: Not sure why the fans came on, probably just heat. try it a few times, if the fans go on and off from you using the OBD setup than there's something going.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So i took the disty back off ,and realized that it isnt toothed .its like a double sided key way . it can only go in two ways. correct or 180 out. so thanks for the help and ideas anyway. If anyone else nows the awnser, or why the fans come on please let me know. the fans come on no-mater if the motor is cold or hot .i might have a bigger issue and not know it. my afr has been weird latly if it sparks any ideas. thanks, everyone

1 - 5 of 5 Posts