Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drained the oil in my mx6 today and when I was pouring it into a new container I noticed that there are very small metal shavings in it.

This is a KLDE that I had rebuilt approximately 7 thousand miles ago so this is only the third oil change. Would something like this be a part of break in or do I have a more serious problem on my hands?

I have the oil set aside and I will strain it through a coffee filter when I have time. All of the pieces are smaller than 1mm.

I don't drive the car much but I really hope it's not something bad because I shelled out a lot of cash for my built motor. :(

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
take them to your engine guy and see what he says . ive had pieces like that before and never though much of them. if your really curiouse cut the filter open and see what thats holding.

·
Registered
250 Posts
some metal is normal for any engine but that's a bit bigger than tiny, though actual size is hard to tell from the pic. I agree take them to the guy the that rebuilt the engine in the first place, and maybe to someone else too to make sure he isn't shining you on.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Get some bada$$ magnets and put them on the bottom of the oil pan by the drain bolt--hard disk (flat) ones work good. Then an hr. before you remove drain bolt, remove magnets. This will demagnetize the pan area and allow particles to flow out.

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am just hoping that it's not due to engine damage. The car was running fine before I took it apart to change the alternator and radiator. No knocking or smoke or anything.

I did flush the coolant out when I replaced the radiator and it was a nasty dark gray color but it didn't look oily. I honestly don't think they flushed my coolant when they rebuilt my motor. :tdown::tdown:

Also, the picture I posted doesn't look like there is coolant in the oil so I think my head gaskets are okay. ::Crosses fingers::

Right now I plan on filling everything up, getting it running again, and keeping a close eye on it. Maybe once I get it running I'll stop by a performance shop and ask them to check it out for me.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
just turn up the boost and give it hell.

oh wait!

i wouldnt really worry about it for now.. although that first pic makes the pieces look pretty drastic. I would cut open the filter and see whats in that bad boy.

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You're a douchebag Colin. Turbo is pretty low on the list for a while.

My camera made things look much worse than they actually were. The biggest piece in the first picture is not magnetic and appears to be a small rock. Probably from my driveway while I was shifting around under the car.

There are definitely copper pieces in there which would lead me to believe that there may be a problem with the head gasket.

The largest piece I found was less than 2mm in diameter and it is magnetic.

I'll fill it back up and see what happens. I don't put many miles on it anyway. If it acts funny I'll get it checked out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know I might be new to the forum, but If I may put my 2 cents in worth. In my experiance copper in the oil pan/oil is more likely crank bearings than head gasket. But if they are as small as you make them out to be I wouldnt worry too much. Keep a good ear out for piston slap or rod knock and Look out for pieces larger than a mm. Just my advice.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Im sorry I misread the post above. He was refering to the headgaskets for coolant in oil and vise versa not as the cause for the shavings. Please forgive me .

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input buddy. I will keep a close eye on it.

If it's a head gasket my nice fresh oil and new coolant will be mixed and should be a dead give away.

As far as the shavings go I guess a crank bearing is a possibility. Like I said, I'm watching it closely. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
thats why you do it yourself.

/im done being a douchebag now.

i had heard that magnet technique before.. forgot about it. i might try it next time i change my oil.

·
Registered
380 Posts
They do have magnetic oil plugs for our cars. Not sure how good they are.

The metal shavings are a little disturbing.

Perhaps you should drive for another 500kms and drop the oil - see what comes out. Hopefully nothing!

·
Registered
645 Posts
did you solve your prob? last time i had metal shavings in my oil i had to replace my Engine because i blew the main bearings keep a good watch of your motor!!!! METAL SHAVINGS=BAD NEWS!!!

·
Registered
533 Posts
i cant remember where, but you can send your oil off to a shop to have it inspected and they can inform you what types of metals are in your oil, leading to what engine components they'd be from.

i'd ask your machine shop if they know anyone like this, if not go call around to some heavy duty construction areas, they send their oils out weekly to prevent breakdowns.

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I saved the oil. I know for a fact that I can get my oil analyzed.

I'm not driving the car right now so it's not a big deal at the moment. Once I get the motor firing correctly (bad plug wire) and I get my brakes fixed I'll put a few miles on it and drain the oil again.

·
Registered
533 Posts
dude, just send the oil out, metal shavings isn't normal...why just wait around for another week or so when you could get the results back by then?

you're just postponing(sp) things, get that out of the way so you can sleep easy, i know i'd be a little more worried than you about my fully built motor lol.

JACK.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts