Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -

First of all thanks to everyone for all the help and tips. Today I changed the rear oxygen sensor on my 94 v6 and the check engine light has not come back on - so thanks again for the help with that.

I have a question about tire pressure. My mx6 has Pirelli p4000 205/55's on it (came that way when I bought it.

They are labeled as having 44 psi max -- when I checked the pressure, they were all around 32 psi. The manual states that around 30 is correct for the stock tires, but I don't know much about tires and I don't know if I should add more pressure or not.

Also - 2 of the tires are about worn out. I'm contemplating on if I should get a whole new set of different tires, or 2 more of the same kind, or some combination thereof. I'm most interested in good handleing and cornering, but I know nothing about tires.

Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
??

Now I know that SOMEONE must have some knowledge to share about tire pressure. Anyone? Bueler? Bueler?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
There should be a sticker on your passenger door or in the door jamb. Pressure is 32 front/26 rear (psi). 205/55 is the stock size I think. It would be ideal of course to get two of the same size. It's not recommended to replace them in axles atleast (like do both fronts or both rears).

http://www.tirerack.com usually is a good help for tire selection.

Tyson
95 LS

·
Registered
483 Posts
well, if you want to go for a nice pair of pirelli go for the p6000 sport veloce's v-rated. They are the same price as the P4000's of the same size but the p6000's do better on cornering and the slalom. By the way..are those p4000's dry rotted?

G

·
0 Posts
I run my tires at 35 psi front / 30 psi rear. This has a very noticable (good!) effect on the handling. I have Dunlop SP-8000 tires I believe the size is 225/50/ZR16. I'll 2nd the motion on Tire Rack too, they are really nice folks and their prices are good.

·
Registered
806 Posts
The max PSI rating has very little to do with what you should have your tire pressure at. That only comes in handy in my experience for hauling heavy loads in a truck or something, when you need more pressure in the tires. For our cars and regular driving just stay with the recommended. Most cars have the recommended tire pressure rating on a sticker inside the glove box or other area. Go with the recommended pressure and go ahead and replace the two tires, but if you have the cash flow go for a full set.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts