Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to look more seriously now at rims, and was curious about tire size. I was looking at 16's and 17's, so does anyone have a tire size recommendation?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
do want performance and looks or just looks? You get 17s and the car's accel will slow due to more friction with the ground and your speedo will be off too. Your handling will improve immensly (sp?) but at the cost of your already mentioned accel rate.

You get 16s and the car accel will slow but almost unnoticealbe amounts. They won't look as tight as a 17 rim, but it will look nice none the less.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
damn

so basically rims slow you down? That's wack. Obviously I'm interested in rims for the looks, but for new tires, looks and performance would be key. I'm trying to keep my options open.

·
Registered
763 Posts
my 17s look great on my car, however it is true that with bigger wheel you will lose hp... however unless you're seriously racing your car I dont think it would make that much of a difference maybe a couple points of a second.

·
Registered
763 Posts
oh yeah, and I have bridgestone potenzas, 215/45/17

if you want a lower profile tire, you ccouuld go 205/40/17 or somethinga round there.

if you're going forthe 16s, 225/50/16 is the "factory" Probe wheel size and you could take it from there

·
Registered
73 Posts
think, when you have a bigger sized rim the car has to do more work to turn it, once the momentum builds though, i.e. on the highway, you'll see a big difference. they also slow the car down due to their weight, think, it's bigger, so to make it stable and being able to support the weight of the car you need more material. the rims i'm going crazy looking for are 3rd gen rx7 rims. they're 16's and only weigh 13 lbs. so it depends what you want, if you're just cruising around i wouldn't see a problem with 17's. if you're serious into performance then i'd save the money and keep modding, only getting rims when you find a good set of rx7's!! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts