Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there anyone else out there useing a tkt turbo kit on there 2nd gen mx-6 . i have one and amhaveing trouble getting it on.

·
Registered
193 Posts
tkt kit cost

sorry, I don't have one, but am interested in hearing how much it cost if you don't mind. You installing it yourself? turbo I take it, not s/c

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm

It came with instructions right? If not (or even if it did, and they're hard to understand) I would call Thomas Knight and just ask them about it. What part are you having troubles with?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: tkt kit cost

DedlineNJ said:
sorry, I don't have one, but am interested in hearing how much it cost if you don't mind. You installing it yourself? turbo I take it, not s/c
the tkt turbo kits are about 2,700 complete with everything.I already had the turbo so i just bought the pipe kit which was

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Hmmm

Aetherfury said:
It came with instructions right? If not (or even if it did, and they're hard to understand) I would call Thomas Knight and just ask them about it. What part are you having troubles with?
yes it came with instructions, the problem i am haveing is clearence for the turbo it mounts rite behind the radiator the stock one was to big so i got one from a 81 audi 5000 and it fits perfect .but now i dont know if there is
room for the intercooler pipes, there is only about 2" of room between the turbo and radiator so i will probley have to mount some fans on the front side.i hoe i will get everything rite soon.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: twin turbos!

NBENZZZ said:
i want the Twin turbo kit! :D
the twinturbo setup would be sweet,i prefer the single have you talked to Geoff Knight about the tt setup.i have seen it on his website but i dont know how much hp it gives you.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TT

on the site it says it has the same hp as the single turbo setup but im not sure exactly how many hp it will give. for 6 large i hope it has at least 300hp ;)

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
i just recieved my thomas knight twin turbo package in the mail, and you think your havin trouble puttin it in!
i'm thinkin about just sellin it off and just doing an engine swap.......i'm also not sure about the hp but at one atmospere of pressure or Bar, approx 14.7 to 15 psi an engine doubles it displacement output. and 400 + hp was reliably realized by the mazda production touring team overseas on there MX6's using a twin turbo setup.

·
Boostaholic
2,029 Posts
Twin turbo

Hey twinturbo6, get the kit on and let us know what happens. 400 bhp! Wow! Just get it on! Sounds like a lot of fun after installing...

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
got cash?

well as of yet two things are happering my 400 horsepower quest. money, and money. To get that kind of power also reqiures building the bottom end up, something i have no cash for. and of course their are the ignition, fuel, and transmission mods that have to accompany it. hell i'm thinking of just selling the whole kit, and saving my self some cash .

·
Boostaholic
2,029 Posts
No I don't have too much money. :( Actually I'm thinking of supercharger and having the engine nearly stock. It won't have that 400 bhp but it would be something like 235-250 bhp, right? That twinturbo kit sounds exotic... I'm selling my Honda (CBR600, not a bloody civic) but I think I'll spent that money to paying my house.

Don´t give up!
Mici

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
twinturbo6.....

yo twinturbo6 you say you have the TwinTurbo kit......well how do you know it'll be putting out 400HP?(!!!).

I'm asking because i'm not sure to with a KL-ZE conversion and go all motor and get near 240HP, or buy a turbo kit, but i haven't found any info on the Knights twinturbo kit, and how much it costs and how much HP it adds :(

help me....

thanks, later.
2.5MX-6

·
Registered
118 Posts
Re: Re: Hmmm

mx-man said:
the problem i am haveing is clearence for the turbo it mounts rite behind the radiator the stock one was to big so i got one from a 81 audi 5000 and it fits perfect .but now i dont know if there is
room for the intercooler pipes, there is only about 2" of room between the turbo and radiator so i will probley have to mount some fans on the front side.i hoe i will get everything rite soon.
This kit must have been designed/prototyped on a Probe GT. Why do I say this? The PGT has a few more inches of clearance than the MX6 does between the engine and radiator. I know this from first (grimmy) hand experience.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: twinturbo6.....

2.5MX-6 said:

i'm not sure to with a KL-ZE conversion and go all motor and get near 240HP, or buy a turbo kit, but i haven't found any info on the Knights twinturbo kit, and how much it costs and how much HP it adds :(
help me....
thanks, later.
2.5MX-6
I too have been kicking around this Thomas Knight turbo or supercharging idea (for several weeks). I'm also finding it difficult to justify the high cost ($3,995 for the complete single turbo kit) for a total HP figure of 220-240HP. Yeah, the torque will be increased to over 200ft/lbs, and flywheel HP is supposedly around 260, but I keep thinking along the same lines as "2.5MX-6" -- why not go with a KL-ZE for $1400 then have some nice machining and other internal mods done, and probably plop down about the same amount of cash as the turbo or s/c option? It seems that HP and torque would surely be equal to the turbo route, but would be all contained within the motor itself. As for the twin-turbo, I read somewhere on Thomas Knight's site that it was approximately $6200+ (depending on specific application) and he encouraged you to call. If even thinking of this route, then remember what Jorge said about modifying the engine and components to accommodate this drastic increase in HP. Man, this stuff is PRICEY!!! What ever happened to balancing and blueprinting a 327 or 350 for a few grand (even in today's dollars!)??? As for mx-6man and twinturbo6, are you guys still fighting with installation???? This is yet another discouraging thought. Any additional thoughts or comments greatly appreciated-- especially regarding "building" a nice KL-ZE NON-turbo, with approximate cost.....

[Edited by tlk on 10-24-2000 at 10:57 PM]

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Re: twinturbo6.....

tlk said:
2.5MX-6 said:

i'm not sure to with a KL-ZE conversion and go all motor and get near 240HP, or buy a turbo kit, but i haven't found any info on the Knights twinturbo kit, and how much it costs and how much HP it adds :(
help me....
thanks, later.
2.5MX-6
I too have been kicking around this Thomas Knight turbo or supercharging idea (for several weeks). I'm also finding it difficult to justify the high cost ($3,995 for the complete single turbo kit) for a total HP figure of 220-240HP. Yeah, the torque will be increased to over 200ft/lbs, and flywheel HP is supposedly around 260, but I keep thinking along the same lines as "2.5MX-6" -- why not go with a KL-ZE for $1400 then have some nice machining and other internal mods done, and probably plop down about the same amount of cash as the turbo or s/c option? It seems that HP and torque would surely be equal to the turbo route, but would be all contained within the motor itself. As for the twin-turbo, I read somewhere on Thomas Knight's site that it was approximately $6200+ (depending on specific application) and he encouraged you to call. If even thinking of this route, then remember what Jorge said about modifying the engine and components to accommodate this drastic increase in HP. Man, this stuff is PRICEY!!! What ever happened to balancing and blueprinting a 327 or 350 for a few grand (even in today's dollars!)??? As for mx-6man and twinturbo6, are you guys still fighting with installation???? This is yet another discouraging thought. Any additional thoughts or comments greatly appreciated-- especially regarding "building" a nice KL-ZE NON-turbo, with approximate cost.....

[Edited by tlk on 10-24-2000 at 10:57 PM]
well i did figure out that one fan will still fit in the stock location,so that means that i will have t mount one on the front.i also think i have figured out how to run the intercooler pipes,and i should be geeting the rest of my stuff in a week or two,fmu,fuelpump,bov,air filter,boost controler, guages and muffler.right now i only have 1,450 in my turbo kit that includes the price of the radiator i will probly end up spending 2,300 in all.as for the kl-ze, go for if thats what you want to do i prefer turbos myself.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
the turbo kit can be seen at http://www.geocities.com/knightturbos/promaz.html . And obviously alot of work has to be done. I 'm looking into stand alone engine management, and lower compression pistons, rings, seals, balenced and lightened rods long skirt low compression pistons, and on and on.......If i had it all to do again i would go klze with a venon pc progressive nitro, and intake and exhaust, and eram. ( look up eram.com i think ) and superchips ecu to bump up the fuel maps and redline, i would then have it all balanced and ported and blueprinted.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
power to the road

you've still got to get all that power to the road, and unfortunately with our front wheel drives it just inst going to happen.

I have been thinking about a replacement for my mx6 for the last year and think I have settled on a Nissan Skyline but F%$# they are ugly on the outside compared to my 5 year old MX6.

Dean

1 - 20 of 27 Posts