Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm about to finally get my shogun kit installed and i want to have it molded on, but my ? is how well is it going to hold up? isnt it going to crack and pull apart when the car flexes from driving. i just got off the phone with heath, the guy at aces paint & body works, that did dustin's car and he told me that dustins car was in the shop at that very moment and the rear and skirts were cracked up. how have all the other molded bodykit owners avoided this from happening or have you? is there a special strong adhesive i should request to be used rather than the ordinary body filler or puddy. thanks for all the help and advice, as i plan to have this done very soon, before fall semester starts..........

--thanks, mcbride

125 Posts
I've researched this topic a lot... I've gotten many opinions..but the most reliable info you'll get is from ppl who've had the kit for years(I have a friend like that)...you will crack your rear quarter skirts depending on if you lower your car, I have had mine for four months and haven't cracked anything..you'll hear tons of theories, go ahead and mold it the flex is NOT a problem...what you'll hear the most is not to mold the sideskirt into the front fender due to flex...I have a friend who has had it molded in for 3 years and is a daily driver, no problems other than rear quarters cracking and that's from hitting bumps not from flex...I had mine molded in first it was put on with 3M panel bond, then it was riveted and then he used "duraglass" a type of fiberglass...ne other questions let us know...

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
i have read up on body kits and talk to lots of people with them. you are going to crack it no matter what you do the kit is just that low. if you mold it in then yiouwill not be aable to to take it off and fix it like you could if you just bolt it on like i did. well if you have to tow the car then you will not be able to. even with GCs all the way it will not go anywhere. i know! if you have go to the mech. and put it on a lift then you will have problem unless they have some boards for you to drive up on then the front end will hit and side skirts will hit also. if you want to mold in the back bumper peices i think that is ok but the entire kit is not worth the extra money in my eyes. i have had mine off more than i have had it on taking it to the hsop and what not.

it will look better, yes i know but after a month or so you will want to fix the kit with some fiber glass because it al messed up and you will just have to live with it like that.

if you want to talk body kits hit me up on AOL!!! thanks

G

·
Mold on or bolt on?

So what is the final consensus, mold on or bolt on? I'm looking to get the (non erebuni) shogun kit as well and I was planning on having it molded on but now I'm questioning it. How much is it going to run me to have in molded on at a good, reasonable price body shop? I want to start shopping around in the seattle area (I need jspec's and supra tails done as well).

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
All in all I would say that if your car is a SHOW CAR, meaning rarage kept and you don't drive it that often, then definitely MOLD it on. It will definitely look a lot better and smoothe.

If your car is a daily driver and your streets are rough, then just bolt it on. If not you'll be going to a body shop at least 2 times a year fixing stress fractures and cracks.

Just my .02 cents

1 - 7 of 7 Posts