Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas,
I just purchased my turbo, and I'm ready for the manifold. But do I need to intercool right away. I want to run high psi, but with the superchips upgrade or even a custom ecu I could use electronic boost control, so it wouldn't have to be at 15 psi all the time. What should I do????

·
Boostaholic
2,029 Posts
To play it right and to play it safe, intercool it. I don't even think about puttin a turbo in my six without intercooler. I have the IC ready, just short of other stuff for now. Not for long though. ;)
Mici

·
Registered
921 Posts
Why boost so much and not have an intercooler. WOuld you rather have a Cold air intake or a regular one?

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
If you plan to boost no higher than about 8PSI, ever, then the no-intercooler option is viable. But since you plan to use more than this, up to 15PSI (even just once in a while), you're pretty much going to have to use an intercooler.

If for no other reason than the fact that the heating of the intake air by even the most efficient compressor in the world would still make the engine susceptible to detonation. You'd be down on peak power too due to the superheated air...

An intercooler isn't that hard to install...I say do it :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Engine internals can handle 16 psi, because you not always running full boost at that boost level. Excessive Autosports in my town sayed I should be good runnig 13-15 psi on stock internals. He has a dragger CRX that he is runninng at 15 psi that is stock internals and has 90000 miles on it and he made 90 trips down the strip last year and has not had torebuild yet.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Just to be on the safe side, I would consult with people tht have turboed their KL-03 engines like the Probers in www.probetalk.com. Remember, we don't have Honda engines in our MX6's. You can't expect that something that works well on one type of engine will be the same on all engines.

I've heard that at most, 7psi is the limit boost level to run on a stock (internally) KL-03 engine.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
I agree with JP: 13PSI is too much for a stock-internal motor, 4- or 6-cyl. These engines are equipped with cast aluminum pistons and skinny little connecting rods & bolts etc which I guarantee are not up to the task of handling 15PSI. If there's even a whiff of detonation, things will break. Also, how will you be fueling this? Larger injectors? Additional injectors?

Phat, try shooting for, say, 8PSI and see how it is there, performance-wise. If you need more, save your money for a while. Then, crank the boost to 15PSI and when the motor breaks, you'll have money on hand to build a new one, with forged internals and the works, no delay.

G

·
phat 6 are where are u from cause where i live there is an excessive auto and the dude i think his name is joey has a CRX S200 and a NSX

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no i was planning on smaller injectors. of course im upgrading my fueling system, i don't want to run lean. Also how com you can run a supercharger at 14 psi with an intercooler on stock internals, and last time i checked, honda engines aren't made to run high psi, so i will comprimse with you guys, ill run 10 psi for a while, if its not hurting anything, ill boost to 12psi, if it doesn't work, ill eat a big shit burger for you guys.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
No phat, you're so damned sure the engine will take 15 based on what some guys at a Honda shop say, I say you should just go ahead and run it up. Let us know how it turns out.

BTW, go over to PT and see if you can get a hold of Bryan Pendleton...ask him how his turbo adventures are coming with his second engine.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
not a honda shop, he just owns hondas.
not to mention nice ones, S2k, NSX, these are nice cars.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts