Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok. Well a little background. Ive been around cars my whole life. Tinkered with them. I know a bit more than the basics. Mx6.com has helped me a great deal on saving money guiding me through repairs. With that being said, do you think your average man (like myself) with moderate mechanic experience can rebuild a transmission with the right tools, haynes and chiltons manual, help from mx6.com, and a case of beer?

My transmission went out on me a month or two ago but luckily I found a replacement from a PGT for dirt cheap in good condition. Problem - wouldnt shift from reverse. The tranny I currently have in my car was from the PGT with about 80k on it. Its really strong. Im happy with it. I got it for a little more than $100 bucks on craigslist. The tranny I wanna rebuild is the original tranny that came with my 6.

I have the transmission just sitting in my storage room. Do you think, (with all that I stated above) its possible for me alone to rebuild my transmission by myself with the resources/experience at hand? Or am I over my head. :shrug:

·
Registered
380 Posts
No idea. What you gotta figure out is what parts cost and what a decent condition tranny costs. If the rebuild of the tranny is not too much more expensive, give it a shot. It's screwed anyways isn't it?

Bad thing about buying another tranny is that you don't really know what condition it's in. Mine looked real nice but it's about average in performance.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
anybody use aamco to rebuild their tranny before? they expensive? i always pass by and i've always been curious how expensive they were

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah the tranny I currently have in my car was from a PGT with about 80k on it. Its really strong. Im happy with it. I got it for a little more than $100 bucks on craigslist. The tranny I wanna rebuild is the original tranny that came with my 6. I figure since its just sitting there, I might as well throw some tax money at it, rebuild it, and have a very reliable tranny instead of one that will be at 100k in over a year. I dont think the tranny is fried. No grinding, or death noises coming from it. It simply wouldnt shift from reverse. Im thinking the synchros, pilot bearing...idk one of the two. Im just asking to see how hard it would be for the average jose (lol) with above average knowledge/ experience on cars to rebuild this tranny. Worse comes to worse, I fail, lose the money in parts, and just scrap it.

And aamco charges around 900 over here. Thats just to rebuild.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the rebuild of the tranny is not too much more expensive, give it a shot. It's screwed anyways isn't it?

Thats true. I just hate failing lol. I dont do it often. I know im gonna get a good 2 years out of the PGT tranny, but since I have my old tranny (which I think can be saved) Im just weighing out the difficulty in rebuilding it. Anyone with experience rebuilding our trannies?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
My brother used aamco to have a tranny custom installed into his crown vic, they did excellent work and did it in 3 days. Price wise they use to be good, but i called them 2 weeks ago to see what they would charge to replace my clutch, $800 bucks so expense wise they are up there.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Man that sucks. I shopped around for a WHILE to get good prices on a clutch replacement a few months ago. It sucks not having a garage anymore! (I live in apartments)

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
rebuilding manual tranny's aren't too hard provided you know how to do it... I built one in high school with the help of the common knowledge of how they work and the guy is still running it in his 5.0l mustang with no problems... front wheel drives aren't quite as easy but just get a diagram of which gear is which etc. etc. and it should be a pretty easy task :tup: i've rebuilt a total of 4 trannys in the last few years all still work fine and I did it with no manuals or anything like that... I think you can do it... just dont try ripping into any automatics I did last spring... talk about epic fail! haha

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haha Auto is FTL anyway :tdown:

Thanks dude. Thats pretty much what I needed to hear. Im gonna do alot of research beforehand either way. After about a month or so when my cars done looking pretty on the outside, ill start gathering rebuild parts for the tranny :tup: Im gonna drop at least a stage 2 clutch in it along with an mx3 flywheel ;) So it'll be ready to go!

Curious, about how long do the builds take? :shrug:

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Trannies just have a lot of little parts is what i was told, thats why they are hard. Rebuilding one would be cheap, making sure everything goes in right is the hard part lol

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haha yeah thats what ive been reading too. The hardest part is keeping the work area clean, and keeping track of all the parts. Shouldnt be too hard, Im very organized ;)

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I always tend to lose 1 bolt lol. I say go for it, wont learn unless ya try! You can make a write up afterwords. Take lots of pictures while its together so you can go off them if you get lost.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
the one I did in high school took me a week of 75 minute classes so about 6.25 hrs all the other ones took me 2-3 days, when I did one as a project in college for my 1st yr apprenticeship I had a buddy labeling all the parts as I took them off and I got it done in a day though.

maybe I should have put my tranny in myself lol when I got it replaced it took the retards at the shop 6 8 hr days to do it... they quoted 8 hours... there was a total of 1 seized bolt which took them 10 minutes to get out and they added an extra hour just for that fuckin retards... they quoted me $350-$400 to do it and when I got the final bill with all the little things they added on, an hour for a 10 minute thing here and there plus a new CV shaft that it didn't need and they didn't ask me if I wanted the total price for JUST a replacement came to $1175 fuckin crooks

sorry rant

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I always tend to lose 1 bolt lol. I say go for it, wont learn unless ya try! You can make a write up afterwords. Take lots of pictures while its together so you can go off them if you get lost.
Ill def take lots of pics. And If I dont fail I make a write up of it lol

the one I did in high school took me a week of 75 minute classes so about 6.25 hrs all the other ones took me 2-3 days

2-3 days? Im gonna need a keg, not a case lol. Sounds good though. And do-able. Now im itching to get started. :E

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
lol well good luck... it may take you a little longer being your first time and all but just take ur time to make sure its done right

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah man I hate taking my car to a shop. I hate getting mad at people when something isnt right. Just like my car at the body shop as of late. Id rather do the work myself and kick my own ass later for mistakes I made, instead of pointing at someone else.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
lol well good luck... it may take you a little longer being your first time and all but just take ur time to make sure its done right
Definitely :tup:

·
Premium Member
5,189 Posts

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^Id have to make an account on the 2nd one because I dont haves teh permission to view the page! Nonetheless, thank you! This stuff really helps! Karma to you!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts