Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i hate those cars, so i got immense pleasure out of beating the pants off of one today. it had the v8 and the ugly t-tops, and it was automatic, but the dude wanted to impress his girlfriend (i guess)... we pull up to a light. he's on the right side and his lane is obstructed ahead. so he pulls up really far so he can try to get ahead and scoot into my lane after the intersection. i hate it when people do this... i launch it and blow by him :)

now it begins...

this guy was getting a verbal beating from his girlfriend, but he was determined to be a prick and sit on my bumper until the next light. he pulls up, again on the right, and starts gunning the engine. red, ..., green... it was close through 1st and 2nd, but i left him in 3rd. hit about 100Km/h and shut it down. he goes barreling past me, and that's the last i saw of him...

all this while listening to the new Crystal Method disc on my new Clarion deck. :p

btw: it was 35* in Toronto today (i guess that's around 90 something for you Americans) and the 6 did surprisingly well given the heat.

cheers!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
aggiedj02 said:
isn't it yellow, red, green... j/k. Good kill!
oops... well, you got the picture. :)

cheers,

G

·
I alway like hearing about GM products not living up to everyones expectation. Those Firebird Formulas and Camaro RSs are something like 5 liters and they only put out about 180 bhp. That itself shows that GM products are just a bunch of crunchy turds. Good kill; maybe now the jerk will buy a real car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Danny said:
I alway like hearing about GM products not living up to everyones expectation. Those Firebird Formulas and Camaro RSs are something like 5 liters and they only put out about 180 bhp. That itself shows that GM products are just a bunch of crunchy turds. Good kill; maybe now the jerk will buy a real car.
The fact of the matter is that those cars came with a lower, mid and higher engine just like most cars and he probably beat the lower one.

The LO3 170hp 305
The LB9 225hp 305
and the L98 245hp 350

The other two would have handed him his ass on a platter. So stop trashing other car manufacturers when a lot of their family sedans can also hand you your ass. For about 5 grand less than the MX6.

Truth to be told the mx6 is probably one of the slowest sport coupes I have ever driven. Sure it is a nice looking car but at least Mazda could have dropped an engine with some power into it.

And I'm sure that there are more than me in here that expected the MX6 to be faster than it was when they saw it. Hows that for living up to expectations.

Was a good kill anyway but it doesn't mean that the whole car company should be trashed because of one guys car.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Good kill...

vdubbin86 said:
Truth to be told the mx6 is probably one of the slowest sport coupes I have ever driven. Sure it is a nice looking car but at least Mazda could have dropped an engine with some power into it.
If I remember right, the 0-60 times on both the 1st gen and 2nd gen MX6 is what, 7.1 seconds? 1/4 mile time is right at 15.2 seconds? +/- a couple of tenths of a second.

I wouldn't call that slow....and if you do call it slow, then you've got high standards, very high, like TransAm standards.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
vdubbin... i've read i think all 6 of your posts and I'm trying to gather why you bother posting anything at all! The mx6 quit being produced in 97, and frankly it's old technology. But you compare the car to other cars of it's gen and it's fast. An old prelude gets handed it's butt when raced stock vs stock against a 6!

·
Registered
52 Posts
vdubbin86...I toasted one of the previous generation Camaro RS with the 305 (305 V8 not the 305 V6) in my 1.6 liter MR2 whith the distributor turned to full advance (getting detonation above 6000 rpm). And lets not forget that the MKI MR2 and Fiero were designed to compete against each other. Which car won the IMSA Firehawk Showroom Stock Series? A) Fiero. B) MR2.
The correct answer is B, the MR2. Sure the new TransAm is fast. But not as fast as the last RX-7 or Supra sold in North America. I'd like to see GM make a 2.5 liter that is as good as the MX-6 engine or a 1.6 that is as good as my MR2's engine. Not that they could I'd just like to see it so I could laugh about it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
aggiedj02 said:
vdubbin... i've read i think all 6 of your posts and I'm trying to gather why you bother posting anything at all! The mx6 quit being produced in 97, and frankly it's old technology. But you compare the car to other cars of it's gen and it's fast. An old prelude gets handed it's butt when raced stock vs stock against a 6!
Which prelude would you be talking about?

1994 Honda Prelude VTEC 0-60 - 7.2, 1/4 - 15.1
1995 Honda Prelude VTEC 0-60 - 6.7, 1/4 - 15.1
1993 Acura Integra GS-R 0-60 - 6.5, 1/4 - 15.2

Must be racing your LS's vs. their base models.
And here's the firebirds:

1991 Pontiac Firebird Formula 0-60 - 6.5, 1/4 - 14.8
1993 Pontiac Firebird Formula 0-60 - 6.1, 1/4 - 14.7
1994 Pontiac Firebird Formula 0-60 - 5.8, 1/4 - 14.1

And for the 6's:

1988 Mazda MX-6 0-60 - 7.5, 1/4 - 15.7
1993 Mazda MX-6 LS 0-60 - 7.4, 1/4 - 15.7
1994 Mazda MX-6 LS 0-60 - 7.6, 1/4 - 15.8

And all the numbers that I have found on the MX6 range between 15.7 to 16.1. So I think you are being a bit optimistic on your 15.2.

All I said was to stop bashing whole car companies if you can't back it up. Statements like "GM sucks!" or "Honda Sucks" just don't cut it. Back up what you say if you don't want someone proving you wrong.

That is all I am trying to say. You could talk shit about any car company if you want to cause every company has it's problems. Even your beloved 6's.

Sure I may have jumped the gun on my slow 6 but I have never driven a MTX one and I am speaking from my OWN experince on my OWN car. Hence me stating that it is one of the slowest "I" have ever driven and not that there was ever made.

·
Registered
10 Posts
EmmArTooGuy said:
vdubbin86...I toasted one of the previous generation Camaro RS with the 305 (305 V8 not the 305 V6) in my 1.6 liter MR2 whith the distributor turned to full advance (getting detonation above 6000 rpm). And lets not forget that the MKI MR2 and Fiero were designed to compete against each other. Which car won the IMSA Firehawk Showroom Stock Series? A) Fiero. B) MR2.
The correct answer is B, the MR2. Sure the new TransAm is fast. But not as fast as the last RX-7 or Supra sold in North America. I'd like to see GM make a 2.5 liter that is as good as the MX-6 engine or a 1.6 that is as good as my MR2's engine. Not that they could I'd just like to see it so I could laugh about it.
And what year would that mr2 be?

Was it NA?

Was it modded?

And did I say anything about a MR2? ummmm. NO!
They nice, fast cars that actually are as fast as they look. But you still can't compare them to a Camaro. You beat the 305v8 RS. Try a Z28 if you want to brag. (and by the way, there is no such thing as a 305v6)And How Much did the mr2's cost new??? Probably overpriced considering how much the used ones are still going for. A 91 with 140k or so seem to be running in the 16 grand range here. Hmmmm. I can get a 94 Z28 here with 128k for $13,500. That will run the 1/4 in 14.2 when a 1995 MR2 turbo will in 14.8. Do some mods to make up the difference in price and NO MR2 can keep up to it for the same price.

And once again I don't believe I mentioned a new RX7 or Supra. But since you brought them up. Put them up next to a new Corvette Z06 or a Rousch Mustang and suddenly they don't look so good anymore. And what would be the price on a new rx7 or a new supra??? Probably a lot more than the new T/A.Considering you can get a brand new 310hp Firebird Formula for about 28 grand.

But this is all off topic. Why is it that when people start talking and defending their rides they start spouting off names of the manufactuers top models?????? Contrary to what some people may think an RX7, Supra or a MR2 being fast cars doesn't make an MX6 one.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My MR2 is a 1985 with about 149,000 original miles on the engine which has never been rebuilt, sees 7800 rpm about 8-9 times a week, and I shift against the rev-limiter (not letting off the gas). The engine is naturally aspirated and at the time of the race it was pro'ly about 120-125 bhp.

BTW: The last MR2 made (1999 GT-S) was sold only in Europe and Asia but it was a 2 liter engine and ran 13.2 in the 1/4 mile stock. Tell me again about the TransAm and Z28...Or better yet, how fast is a 1999 Corvette? And lets not forget the 320 bhp TRD 2000GT (wide body MR2). Imagine how fast it is!

But lets get back to the issue. One of my friends bought a 1995 Firebird, 3400, automatic for about $8000 and another friend bought his 1993 MX-6 LS for roughly the same price. The Firebird had custom dual exhaust w/ Flowmasters and a 20 bhp chip on the ECU and the MX-6 was stock accept for new ignition wires. To make a long story short, the Firebird could pull ahead by about 1.5 lenths off the line but by the end of the 1/4 mile the Firebird was down by about 4 lenths. Sure the top-of-the-line TransAm is faster but you'll pay a lot more for it too. For the dollar MX-6's are very fast.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Also the 1998 TRD 3000GT (wide body Supra) is faster than the latest VIPER! Thats right, I said 12.5 second Viper! My point was that GM (and Dodge) are crude. They get their power from displacement not engineering. They use old technology. They're engineers wear leopard skins and club women over the head and drag them into their cave rather than ask them out. When GM can build a racecar that holds a record over a Toyota racecar they'll have my respect.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I almost forgot...A guy I work with has a 95 Camaro RS. I think he said its a 260 or something...I toasted him too.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
vdubbin... really? The 2001 z06 vette is 45,000 new and runs the quarter in 12.6 and 0-60 in 4.6. i guess you don't realize they no longer make the Supra... but I could have bought one (if I had the cash) for 50,000 that runs 10sec quarters and has 742 hp at 22psi and no nitrous... well actually go to:

http://www.suprastore.com/19suptur10se.html

and while you are there go to

http://www.suprastore.com/suprasforsale.html

to see the others while you are there.

The rx7 ended production in the states in 95 I believe. The rx7 TT ran a quarter in 13.5 and 0-60 in 4.9! It costed 31,000. For the 15,000 I would save on the vette, I could make my 7 much much faster! Now they cost 20,000 so you do the math, half as much and only a second slower in the quater stock with great responses to mods. Please realize the comments you make about cars before you make them. Frankly, the American car industry has a rep in the car world for being behind the times. I just wanted to inform you about the imports you talked about.

http://www.supercars.net/SDBQ?y=1995&m=Mazda&o=RX-7

I do know the mx6 is not the fastest thing, and I am sorry you have been dissappointed in it's performane thus far. The atx is slow frankly. But the car is fun to drive, and just like the miata always got praise. A dropped 6 with biggeer tires runs great in autocross too!

·
Registered
10 Posts
A new 164hp v6 mx6 would have run you 25 grand when new and even now you can get a 2002 200hp v6 firebird for less than 20 grand. And as I said before a NEW Z28 will only run you 28 grand. Wheres the bang for the buck here?

And as I said before (I don't know why I have to keep repeating it)I don't believe that I brought the MR2 into this. YOU DID! And you keep bringing in others to add to the list. We could keep listing cars that beat each other in here all night but to what point? A Lamborghini Diablo VT 6.0 can run the quarter in under 12 seconds but what does that have to do with anything? NOTHING!

And lets see. 8 grand for a 95 v6. I think your friend paid a bit too much for that one. It's probably worth about 6 providing it had about 60k on it. And the guy got a decent deal on his 6 from what I see how much they are going for here.

hahahaha! The old technology topic. I was wondering when this was going to get into that. Who cares how much technology is used at the finish line??? And please don't start coming up with this hp per liter crap. It gets redundant after a while.

And for those links, those are some bad ass cars. But they are also 7 years old. There is a twin turbo callway corvette on ebay with the bid sitting at $37,500. BUT WHO CARES! Like I said For about 28 grand you could have gotten a Z28 that will run the Quarter in 13.8. Grab a supercharger for the difference and bye bye RX7. And it would be no trouble making a 95 Corvette run 10 second quarters at the price of 50 GRAND! Considering you would have about 30 grand left over after buying the car. And the 95 runs 13.1 quarters stock!

BTW the stock 97 supra turbo ran the 1/4 in 13.6 and the stock 97 base Corvette ran it in 13.4 while the 95 ZR1 ran in 13.1.

And also if you read your own links you would have noticed that that Supra had a 75HP Shot Single Fogger Nitrous Kit (dual nitrous solenoids, bottle heater)(cut and pasted)He may not have used it for the dyno run but probably did to get into the 10 second mark!

You guys are acting like you own these cars. When a GM racecar can hold a record over a toyota racecar they will get your respect. hahahaaha!!! Now there's a comment.

A little reality check here. YOU DON'T HAVE A RECORD HOLDING TOYOTA RACECAR!!!! So stop listing times and stats on cars that you do not and probably never will own.

Any comments that have been made by me are only in retaliation to comments made by you guys. So why not just give up cause it looks like your on the losing end of this debate from here.

So I am realizing the comments I make before I make them. Maybe you should do a bit more research before making your comments.

And that still doesn't make the mx6 any faster!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Its true that the Vette can run 10 seconds for $50K but it won't handle and have the top end of the Supra that runs the same time for the same money. Those Supra's aren't dragcars like all the 10 second Chevys I've seen; no, they are street legal supercars.

but the bottom line is this: Will the Corvette C5-R or FIA Viper GTS-R out perform the GT-One in anything? No! It won't out perform the SARD Supras in anything either. And lets not forget that the C5-R is 7 liter while the GT-One and SARD Supras are something on the order of 3.5 to 4 liter and they make more power.

Chevy can't build a GTP car because the lack the technology. Even the C5-R that won GTS class in the Rolex 24 at Daytona wasn'y really a Chevy. It was a Pratt & Miller with some GM mechanicals and the GM 426 wedge.

GM thought they were bad with their big block Corvette at Le Mans back in the 60s...The GT40 about ripped them a new a-- hole. The Vette didn't even finish. GM has never built a good race or street car and they never will unless they go through with selling out to Toyota (yes they have discussed it). Dodge is even worse but at least they learned to use Mitsubishi parts in most of their cars.

GM only does good in roundie-round racing and thats because their engineers are so use to chasing their tails. And don't say that bigger is better in engines because the record holder at Pikes Peak is a 2.1 liter Toyota and somebody with a blown big block dune buggy always thinks they're going to win and doesn't. Last time Toyota raced at Baha didn't they win? Wasn't the Toyota truck running a smaller engine than the Chevy's? I can't wait for Toyota to be approved for NASCAR so I can watch them beat the trash out of Chevy. Actually if you beat the trash out of Chevy there wouldn't be a lot left.

I don't have a problem with Ford because they draw technology from the likes of Aston Martin, Jaguar, Mazda, and Yamaha. Thats why they win more than GM or Dodge.

If you want a car for nothing more than drag racing and you don't mind carrying it on a trailer to the track; buy a Chevy or Dodge. But for those of us who want a reliable car that is fast in a straight line and in curves AND looks good AND most of all can do all this and still be street legal (I want to see 10 second Chevy do all that), we'll stick to our imports.

I like all motorsports and you, vdubbin86, haven't told me anything that I didn't already know or haven't already considered. I'm sure you can find a Chevy club where your opinion will be much more appriciated.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just two words.

Suzuki Hayabusa
£8299. NEW!

Dont know how many dollars that is, but its a lot less than half the stuff ive seen in this thread.
1/4 mile in 10.137 stock....

Point of this? nothing. no point at all. Just thought Id add my own crap to this...

Oh, and I do own one by the way.

·
Registered
52 Posts
"The fact of the matter is that those cars came with a lower, mid and higher engine just like most cars and he probably beat the lower one.

The LO3 170hp 305
The LB9 225hp 305
and the L98 245hp 350

The other two would have handed him his ass on a platter. So stop trashing other car manufacturers when a lot of their family sedans can also hand you your ass. For about 5 grand less than the MX6 " - vdubbin86

A while later...

"You guys are acting like you own these cars. When a GM racecar can hold a record over a toyota racecar they will get your respect. hahahaaha!!! Now there's a comment.

A little reality check here. YOU DON'T HAVE A RECORD HOLDING TOYOTA RACECAR!!!! So stop listing times and stats on cars that you do not and probably never will own." - also vdubbin86

So is your car a LO3 170hp 305, LB9 225hp 305, or L98 245hp 350 powered Firebird Formula?

Previously...

"YOU DON'T HAVE A RECORD HOLDING TOYOTA RACECAR!!!!" - also, also vdubbin86

Need I remind you that the IMSA Firehawk Showroom Stock Series (a race series) was dominated all season by a 1985 MR2 identical to mine before I started modifying it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
vdubbin86 said:
A new 164hp v6 mx6 would have run you 25 grand when new and even now you can get a 2002 200hp v6 firebird for less than 20 grand. And as I said before a NEW Z28 will only run you 28 grand. Wheres the bang for the buck here?
The problem with that is that the firebird is uncomfortable as hell and looks like shit. I rather pay more for a car that looks good and is comfortable, then and ugly car with seats that feel like you are sitting on a wooden bench! And in my opinion the 6 handles better too!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
wow! all this over a silly little camaro kill? :zzz:

just kidding, it's kinda funny though!

cheers,

1 - 20 of 29 Posts