Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup, you heard it right. Today I took my car with a blown motor to the dyno. I did a compression test first. I got 55, 110, 115, 120. Piston #1 cracked about 500 miles ago, for the 2nd time this year.Thats why compression is so low on that cylinder and am smoking so bad.
So took it to the dyno.... I did 3 runs and packed their shop full of rank blue smoke. lol

I ran a 5th injector coming on at 12 psi and I have a zombie ecu chip. My other mods (for those of you that dont know) are a 1 3/4" test pipe, 2.5" catback, .48/.42 saab T3 turbo boosting 13 psi, honda CAI pipe, cone filter, DSM bypass valve, and 190lph fuel pump.

Sorry for the poor pic quality, I dont have a scanner. I made 180 whp and 247 ft/lbs tq. As you can see, I'm running damn lean down low. That is the obvious reason for the cracked piston. You can see where the 5th injector opens at 12 psi by the dip in the a/f ratio. It's running really rich up top though. I dont know what to do at this point to get my car tuned right but a 3rd engine rebuild is going to have to be done to fix that piston. Hopefully the block is okay. I've already had to bore it once when I cracked pistons the last time.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah true, that cylinder is basically running on oil. I can't stress to you how much it smokes. You would just have to see it. I'm also 5300 ft above sea level.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sleepermx6 said:
i never really understood how or why sea level effects teh performance so much, i mean i know it does but why, is the whole higher alttitude pressure thing.
Theres less air pressure, therefore less air. Sea level is 14.7 psi. up here is around 10 psi. You lose about 3% power per 1000 ft you go up in altitude. of course this is less with a turbo, but you still lose power.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow, 97 views and only 1 person replies. Don't you guys have anything to say?

Anyways I turned my 5th injector on at 3 psi and I think that richened it up some in the lower RPMs. When comparing my fuel curve to other dynos, looks like a stock or adam turbo chip fuel curve would suit my turbo better. Then I could just use my FMU to provide fuel in high boost.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Wow, really lean from what I see. Is it all a matter of the chip and the condition of your injectors and full system at that point right?

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1200 degrees at around 3.5k rpms, 1300 at higher rpms.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Manifest said:
Wow, really lean from what I see. Is it all a matter of the chip and the condition of your injectors and full system at that point right?
I have a brand new fuel filter and pump and 110k mile Gt injectors. The chip doesnt have enough fuel at lower rpms. Zombie, if you're reading this can you help me out? I know you say you won't reprogram a chip on your site, but in a different thread you said you would tune my car realtime if I was nearby. :confused:

·
Registered
387 Posts
Get your car fixed and we can meet up for some real tuning. I got all the stuff, including the wideband. Only thing that sux is it's a 800 mile roadtrip.

I know we can get your a/f nailed down and i'm willing to bet we can get your car to 220 whp.

If your making 180 on a bad motor on 13 psi, thats around 200 on a good working motor. You should be able to run 16-17 psi on 91 pump if you have a good intercooler.

P.S. when i had my probe with the upgraded turbo I was tuning for 1550 at WOT in my EGT.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Good runs man. You just need to tune the a/f a lil better. But that is awesome considering the conditions.

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Thats some good power for a blown engine. You should be happy.

Does the car run bad?? It seems like its doin fine, unless you dont drive it offten.

Good numbers though

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Yeah 180whp is pretty impressive for having a cylinder at 55 psi, not to mention how much the oil is probably hurting combustion. I know from how the car used to run that with a good motor I'd easily hit 210 whp or more at 13 psi. What I like is how smooth the power curve is, not much like any other F2t's I've seen.

I have a head that I ported the hell out of on the exhaust side. I'm debating on whether or not to put it in when I fix the piston.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts