Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight I took my new talon to highway 100, which is our local race scene on weekend nights. Here are my kills:

9 V-tec (well, supposedly) Civics, the almost-sedan looking coupes, not the hatchbacks or the sedans.

4 Civic hatchbacks, 2 with V-tec stickers.

3 Integra GSRs.

2 CRXs.

1 Maxima, new.

1 late-model Super Coupe Thunderbird. This guy raced me 5 times. Same results each time. I guess he's kind of slow, even outside of his car.

1 Accord full of girls. I didn't even know we were racing at first. Still beat 'em outta first.

1 late-80's 5.0L Mustang with some ugly-a$$ purple rims.

1 brand new Camaro RS. He still had dealership plates.

There was this guy in a red Civic Del Slo... It had a TenzoR muffler, a dropped suspension, and some really nice looking 17" rims with some low-profile tires that were basically slicks. Obviously, they weren't made for dragging, but hey, they did look cool. I pulled into a gas station to fill up, and the guy followed me. When I got out he rolled down his window and asked if I'd race him. I laughed (why else would I be at the strip?) and said sure. Then he asked me what would happen if he won!!! I just laughed again and said "yeah... right." He got kinda mad then, rolled up his window, and started revving his engine.

So, we lined up and I killed him, of course, while he wasted precious tenths of a second chirping his tires like mad, followed by some jerky shifting, bogging like mad (I was far enough away to watch him in my mirror).

That reminds me... Stage36, why do you launch at redline? I tried that a few times today, and it was alright, but nowhere near as good as 4200 rpm. It is fun though... When I do that in my 6 I go nowhere, except to Sears to get new tires.

G

·
nice...the new talon is a tsi turbo awd right? those kills are nice even though the honduhs are slow. the camaro is nice to...would or should waste a honduh. the tbird supercoupe shoulda kept up at least a little bit...but they do weigh a lot. keep kickin some riceass.

·
Registered
8,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd hoped no one would ask... What the heck is a GTX? There was this guy in a midnight blue 4-door sedan that looked pretty new. He didn't beat me bad enough to allow me to see the back end, but it said GTX on the side. He didn't launch that well, but he caught up and took me before we were out of first gear. That was the only time I got beat the whole night, and I was there for about three hours.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
why do i launch in redline?!?!?

it puts me right in the poewr band. is your car dragging ass dude? do the free mods and then try it. also you might wanna try replacing the clutch or the tires... redline just comes out of the hole with the turbo spooled up and right in the power band.

hows the 1-2 shift compared to your 2G?

·
Registered
200 Posts
GTX

I am pretty sure that the GTX is the supercharged Gran Prix. I'm not sure on the specifics, maybe you should ask IH8RICE.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
heres a thread on it... have fun...

·
Registered
379 Posts
If memory serves, GTX is a package that adds a Ram Air induction system and a few other upgrades to the Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (supercharged 3.8 OHV V6) that bump the max horsepower rating from 240 to 270.

·
Registered
734 Posts
RickBusarow said:
I'd hoped no one would ask... What the heck is a GTX? There was this guy in a midnight blue 4-door sedan that looked pretty new. He didn't beat me bad enough to allow me to see the back end, but it said GTX on the side. He didn't launch that well, but he caught up and took me before we were out of first gear. That was the only time I got beat the whole night, and I was there for about three hours.
A GTX is an option package for any make of a Grand Prix made by SLP. They are basically the same as a SE/GT/GTP except GTX badges and a functional ram-air hood (kinda crappy if ya ask me). They DON'T have to be supercharged to wear the badges. Sometimes They have more toys like rims, Borla exhaust, a dramatic spoiler, floor mats that say GTX... Basically the Si of Grand Prix's. They aren't that fast AT ALL for the price difference though... especially the 4 doors. Here is a place to find out what you are looking for on them. http://www.slpeng.com/2001gtx/index.html

REMEMBER: RACE A GTP/GTX WHEN THEY ARE HOT... IT MAKES THEM WAY SLOWER!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stage36 said:
why do i launch in redline?!?!?

it puts me right in the poewr band. is your car dragging ass dude? do the free mods and then try it. also you might wanna try replacing the clutch or the tires... redline just comes out of the hole with the turbo spooled up and right in the power band.

hows the 1-2 shift compared to your 2G?
Did I say that I'm going to the car graveyard to look for rims? I don't think so... Well, the rims I've got are REALLY nice looking and the tires are just about brand new, and they've got some nice treads to em. But, I want some Yokohama slicks. My solution: get some ugly 16 x 6 1/2 or 7's from a junkyard, as long as they're not bent at all. I've seen a whole bunch of ugly gold ones and painted ones for cheap, and I figure that'll save me the hassle of switching tires all the time.

I'm not getting the clutch right away, for the same reason as you. I want to be able to substantiate it. It's still got the original clutch though at 86k miles, so it'll be due pretty soon. I'm not going to go easy on it. However, I'll probably get impatient within the next few weeks. That's how I am...

By "dragging ass" I'll assume you mean my back end going down while my front end shoots up. Yes, it definitely does. I'm afraid to lower it and put too low of an exhaust on it in case the back end scrapes when I'm launching!!!

Speaking of which... I broke the news of my new purchase to local DSM super-hero Scott Westbrook today. I drove by his house and saw him working in his garage on his 1G (1992?) Tsi AWD. His back was to me, so I revved my engine a bit and took off. I was at the end of the block when I saw him running out to the street. He said he heard the turbo spooling, no tires squealing, and no exhaust to mention and figured it was our other local infamous DSMer, Dan Peronto, then he saw me in the driver's seat. :D He showed me firsthand a lot of mods I can do, and he preceeded to tell me about a guy who can make me a 3" exhaust system, downpipe and all, for free. I'm going it at 8:00 this morning to get my emissions done, then I'm heading over to his muffler shop. To think I spent all that time buying, building (just my 6), and installing my exhaust systems... Oh well.

Tomorrow I'm picking up a boost gauge and a little bleeder valve thingy to serve as a manual boost controller, then I'm going to order a couple turbos, but I still haven't decided what kinds. Urgh!!! :confused:

My 2G's got a lot more mods right now, so obviously the power's better. And the turbo spools faster, which is nice. The actual shift... I LOVE the shifters in all my cars, but my favorite is the Tsi AWD. I think those shifter knobs are pretty ugly, but they're SO COMFORTABLE! I love the feeling, and I don't hold the top of it, so the length isn't an issue.

My dad wants me to sell my GSX. He wants me to go to the Manhatten School of Music starting my sophomore year, as opposed to UW-Milwaukee (I agree), and that place is fricken' expensive. He says that if I sell it now and put the money away in a 12 month CD to be used only for tuition and housing, he'll pay the rest, which would be close to $60k. To me, that sounds like a REALLY good proposition. So, within the next few months, I'm probably going to be selling it.

And yeah, I guess your launching technique is sound. I'll try it out again tomorrow morning on the way to Emissions.

What mods do you have on your GSX?

·
Registered
8,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
IH8RICE said:

A GTX is an option package for any make of a Grand Prix made by SLP. They are basically the same as a SE/GT/GTP except GTX badges and a functional ram-air hood (kinda crappy if ya ask me). They DON'T have to be supercharged to wear the badges. Sometimes They have more toys like rims, Borla exhaust, a dramatic spoiler, floor mats that say GTX... Basically the Si of Grand Prix's. They aren't that fast AT ALL for the price difference though... especially the 4 doors. Here is a place to find out what you are looking for on them. http://www.slpeng.com/2001gtx/index.html

REMEMBER: RACE A GTP/GTX WHEN THEY ARE HOT... IT MAKES THEM WAY SLOWER!!!!!!!
Well, he took me... :( My guess would be he wasn't very hot yet... At least I'd hope not. The thing is (and I didn't say this before because I personally think it sounds like I'm making excuses), my launch kind of sucked, cause he counted to three for us to go, and I wasn't ready. I jammed on the gas to get to 4200 rpm and I didn't even get to 3k before I had to launch. Then, as we were racing, still in first, my frickin gas pedal slipped off. I hadn't tightened the little metal band around it enough. I think that because of this, I wasn't flooring it anymore. However, it sounds like he's got the hp (and I'm assuming torque) so I dunno... I hope he's up there again next weekend, after I'm running 15psi of boost with a MUCH improved airflow.

·
Registered
8,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey IH8RICE, there's a 1 in 3 chance your sn will be my next liscense plate "number", assuming it's not already taken, and the DMV people aren't afraid of it being a racial slur.

·
Registered
734 Posts
RickBusarow said:
Hey IH8RICE, there's a 1 in 3 chance your sn will be my next liscense plate "number", assuming it's not already taken, and the DMV people aren't afraid of it being a racial slur.
Oooooh baby, let the races begin!!!! You know all the rice boys will want to TRY and show you how fast they are after seeing that! With your car there is no way that you raced a converted SE or GT... Congratulations, you took on your first GTP and didn't even know it!!!!!

·
Registered
8,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The thing is, I'm going to have a three-inch exhaust from the turbo manifold back, because I'm putting a huge turbo on there, and I don't know how quiet I'm going to be able to make it, or how stock I'm going to be able to make the tip look. I don't want people to mistake a necessity for rice and then think I'm a hypocrite.

So yeah... I failed emissions this morning, and I got momentarily discouraged about the exhaust thing. But I talked to my friend Scott, who knows someone at the Emissions place. Apperantly, if I blow $500 or $600 on emissions-related stuff, like maybe a high-flow cat and fuel injectors, they'll wave my emissions deadline by a year. They don't expect people to spend a few grand to fix their cars. :D

If those GTXs aren't much better than the stock GTPs, then you've got a REALLY nice car, man. Of all the new non-coupe cars out there, I think I like the Grand Prix and the Grand Am the best, followed by the Bimmers, in descending order.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I replied to this thread but i's not showing. There is nothing like taking out a crustang in an automatic transmission family car. With that exhaust idea... do what I did... use the stock tips on aftermarket exhaust!!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Oh damn, it doesn't have to be a blown GP to get the GTX packange? Man, I overestimated GM's common sense yet again -_-

·
Registered
200 Posts
GTX

With all of the talk about them, I thought that I would put a picture here so that everyone knows what they look like. GTX

·
Registered
734 Posts
Apollo-Soyuz 1975 said:
Oh damn, it doesn't have to be a blown GP to get the GTX packange? Man, I overestimated GM's common sense yet again -_-
NOPE!!! I always thought the same thing!!! I wanted to see what made the GTX so much "better" than a GTP when I bought my car and found out that a slow ass SE can be "transformed" into a GTX just by adding a fancy hood and better airbox. Oh.. and shiny GTX badges!!!!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts