Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any idea if this should be disconnected from the inlet ? I disconnected some of my intercooler pipes and found thin layers of engine oil in there. The crankcase oil is not over filled, the engine does not use oil (abnormally) or blow smoke.
Dom

·
Registered
287 Posts
I disconnected my breather from the intake pipe, and the next day the crankcase started letting out excessive oil from the valve cover gasket. I put the original setup back together and it stopped. I don't know what else people have experienced with the GT, but something tells me that crankcase air needs to be sucked out by means of the intake.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Yeah, a friend was telling me that pressure builds up, and the crankcase ventilation allows this pressure to escape. If you remove the means to vent off the pressure, it blows through the valve cover gasket. I thought he was full of shite, so, I tried it. And sure enough, bye bye valve cover gasket.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The crankcase ventilation thingy is to let fumes escape from the crankcase, normally they get fed back into the intake to get burned up in the engine. It's basically a pollution control thing.
The problem is that oil residue gets into the intake, and the fumes aren't exactly rocket fuel, so it doesn't help performance.

You need to get a crankcase breather filter if you want to disconnect it.
The breather lets the fumes escape into the atmosphere, bad for the environment, but it helps performance, as you don't get oily residue in the intake, and you get more air in.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I DID put a breather filter on the crankcase hose spout. The valve cover gasket leaked with it on which is why I think the crankcase air needs to be sucked out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much oil was leaking from the gasket ?

I've seen pictures of MX6 with the top crankcase breather vented to atmosphere via filter, or oil catch can. I don't know if the owners had leaking cam cover gaskets

I can see why it may need the vacum from the intake to assist in keeping the pressue down, but don't know why it would force oil out unless the engine had exess wear.

I don't like the thought of oil reside going through the intercooler it might be fouling the injectors and sapping performance.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hmm well, you know on the right side of the engine as you're looking at it, there's a little cup carved into the base of the distributor...about an inch wide and a centimeter deep...that was filled with oil in two days. And oil managed to spray on the first intake pipe across from it just after the MAF.

·
Registered
449 Posts
rmtaylor --

Out of topic but what happened to the 90 Legacy?

·
Registered
287 Posts
hurddawg said:
rmtaylor --

Out of topic but what happened to the 90 Legacy?
I managed to blow the o-ring in cylinder #1 while simutaneously damaging two fuel injectors. I had done a few things to the engine before that probably caused it...stripped a spark plug hole and drove home 50 miles on three cylinders. Lasted 10k after that.

·
Registered
405 Posts
anyone have a breather on a N/A? with the higher compresion do you think there would be a problem? also there is a lot of people on probetalk running them, i am assuming with no problems.

·
Registered
449 Posts
how did you damage the fuel injectors?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I don't even know. It may have been the bastard who I sent them to be cleaned. But after I put them back in two of the just started leaking like a civ.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have an N/a and I'm thinking about putting a breather on it. Yeah your rihgt about the N/a's having higher comprssion but don't for get you guys that are lucky enough to have the turbos are running your cars under A LOT of preasure so that might be part of the problem. I had a buddy with an 89 CRX with a J-Spec engine and he had one with no problems. Personally I just think it's all the presure that's building up from the turbo and it doesn't really get much relife through s little hose. Atleast when it's hooked up to the intake, the intake is sucking the air through the hose and not just relying on the preasure to push it through.

Here's a question, did you hook the filter to the hose coming out of the valve cover? That's what you said right? I've never see anyone do that they always just took the hose off and stuck the filter in it's place. But I'll go look at my car and see.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yeah well I used a different shorter hose about half the length of the old one. The filter I bought had a hard plastic fitting on the end so it couldn't fit over the metal crankcase breather pipe.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a N/A mx6 w/ a oil breather on my valve cover...

and I don't have a leaky valve cover. The breather I'm using is a K&N one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts