Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering how fast you've pushed your mx's? I had mine on the eway one day doin 140 stock. I wasfloatin next to some dude in a z28. It was pretty crazy how he would get in the slow lane and we'd come up on semi's fast as **** and he would get over at the last second about smashing into the back of them. I went 8 miles before i realized i had to drive back to my exit i had passed as i said "**** it" the first time i drove past. I got off and i swear my legs were shakin. at nighttime in michigan, you never know what the **** could run out in front of ya doin a buck 40. anywyas let me know how fast you've gone with mods, im curious how fast these bitches will go.
peace

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
well first off they are suppose to top out at 135, so your car must be special. Mine isn't, but i've never tried to make it special. Also, I read somewhere they can do 160, but I forgot where I read that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
let's not forget i had it buried for a few minutes without lettin up. it climbs slowlyafter about 130 and i never thought it would hit 140. It was actually about 138, i lied i couldn't get that bitch to go any faster.haha, but anyhow, im curious how fast they will go whn they're all done up.

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
Try a search on this. It has been asked quite a few times before.
Heres a few links to some of the earlier ones.
Top Speeds

Somthing different

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i don't see how they top out at 134??? I had it doin 138??? maybe the later model years don't cut out??? my maz got the same car as me only her's is a 96 witha 5 speed and that's what i went crazy in. oh well anyone doin over 130 if phuckin crazy and would get a wreckless charge if they ever got busted. maybe when i get some mods on mine ill try it out again.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, one thing you have got to remember is that the stock speedometer is off. Car companies do this on purpose so that you cannot get pulled over for going faster than it says you are going. After 100MPH every speedometer on normal vehicles is OFF by several miles per hour. My speedometer in my Prelude has said 155, but I think I was probably doing about 148ish because that is my top speed.....Later..........

P.S. Get an aftermarket speedometer for more accurate readings. Later man

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TOP SPEED.

I can tell you this car will do more then 140 easily. I have a stock 97 MX6 LS. And I did between 135 to 140 in less then a half a mile. I was driving down to San Francisco and some Civic pulled up next to me. He gave me that look, you guys know that look, the look that tells me "its on". I slammed the gas and it was on a 5% downhill grade hill. Man... It didn't take much to reach that speed. I could have done close to 160, but there was too much traffic and it was getting pretty scary. Whats worse is I have 18 inch rims on my ride, which is heavier then the stock rims. What this is ofcourse downhill speeds.

later

·
Registered
806 Posts
I think if I dropped my car out of an airplane it would hit 160 on its way to maximum velocity speed, whatever it is. Otherwise it ain't happenin. 138 is believable since our speedos aren't exactly dead on always. That's still pretty fast and would make a real mess if you were to lose it.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
In the 2GPGT (I think the MX-6 is similar despite slightly different final drive ratios), 60MPH equates to 3000RPM in 5th gear, almost dead-nuts on. Because the speed/RPM ratio is linear in any gear, you can extrapolate to see that at 7000RPM in 5th gear, the car will theoretically be going 7000/3000 * 60 or 140MPH. Think you'll hit 160MPH? You'd have to be revving at 8000RPM and have some serious HP (not to mention balls) to do it...

I think even hitting redline is a stretch since there's little chance the engine has enough oomph to spin up to 7000RPM in 5th. Magazine tests of the 2GPGT show a top-speed of around 133MPH which equates to about 6650 engine RPM. Given the KL03s power curve (i.e. power peak at 5500RPM), I'm suprised it pulled even this fast.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts