Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I need to find something out. On the top strut mount, the metal piece that has the 4 bolts coming up and gets fastened to the body of the car.... On that plate, there is a round notch on one of the sides.... I need to find out what direction that notch is supposed to face on a stock suspension?

If you can, just stick you hand in there and see if you can feel what direction it's facing.

(Reason I'm asking is because since I'm using GC's, I have to rotate that plate 180 degrees in order to try and fix the camber. the thing is, I removed my entire strut assembly so many times, that I forgot what direction it is supposed to face on the stock suspension.)

Can anyone help?

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
JPMX6GT said:
Guys, I need to find something out. On the top strut mount, the metal piece that has the 4 bolts coming up and gets fastened to the body of the car.... On that plate, there is a round notch on one of the sides.... I need to find out what direction that notch is supposed to face on a stock suspension?

If you can, just stick you hand in there and see if you can feel what direction it's facing.

(Reason I'm asking is because since I'm using GC's, I have to rotate that plate 180 degrees in order to try and fix the camber. the thing is, I removed my entire strut assembly so many times, that I forgot what direction it is supposed to face on the stock suspension.)

Can anyone help?
JP,

There are two parts here. The first is the top spring seat, on which the coil spring rests. The direction indicator on this is supposed to point toward the outside of the car, away from the steering knuckle bracket.

The second piece, the part it seems you are talking about, is the "mounting rubber". My 94MX6 shop manual isn't really clear on this (they only show the left side) but it looks like this "slot" is pointing at "2:00". (Imagine looking down on the left strut, from above, with the "12:00" position toward the front of the car. The slot points toward 2:00...toward the front right corner of the car.) If this is correct, I'd assume the right side mount points toward the left-front corner for symmetry.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually Mike, I don't think were talking about the same part... Or maybe we are but I'm just not getting it....

If you look at this pic, http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Shop/5212/TokicGC.jpg, the part on the top of the strut, with the 4 bolts sticking up. Its a aquare plate with the 4 bolts on each corner. On one side of the plate, there is a round notch. I need to find out if that notch is supposed to face the inside of the car, or the outside, or the back of the car or the front.

Anyways, thanks for your help Mike....

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
JPMX6GT said:
Actually Mike, I don't think were talking about the same part... Or maybe we are but I'm just not getting it....

If you look at this pic, http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Shop/5212/TokicGC.jpg, the part on the top of the strut, with the 4 bolts sticking up. Its a aquare plate with the 4 bolts on each corner. On one side of the plate, there is a round notch. I need to find out if that notch is supposed to face the inside of the car, or the outside, or the back of the car or the front.

Anyways, thanks for your help Mike....
Yeah, that's the "mounting rubber" part - that's what they call it in the shop manual. Your GCs got rid of the top spring seat.

The location of the notch isn't really clear in that pic. My manual doesn't show a notch in a side of the mount. Unfortunately, I don't have a scanner so I can't scan this in. Can you take a digital pic of the top of that mount against a good contrast background? The manual is showing this "direction indicator" as viewed from the top of the mount...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts