Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried this thing I saw on Tv called the Tornado Air Vortex? It inserts between the filter box and the throttle body and spins the air into the engine.They claim it increases hp. The physics is also kind of wild. Any feedback?

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
SPORTMX6 said:
Has anyone tried this thing I saw on Tv called the Tornado Air Vortex? It inserts between the filter box and the throttle body and spins the air into the engine.They claim it increases hp. The physics is also kind of wild. Any feedback?
Save your money. The SpiralMax/Tornado twisted pop-can has been dyno tested (on the V6) at least to be worth nothing in terms of power and in fact may have produced a slight power drop.) Unfortunately, the tester's name escapes me at the moment but he was/is a pretty respected member of the Probe community.

Here's my take on it: The idea of instilling a vortex or twisting action into the airflow is a dubious one IMHO. Because the pop-can doesn't actually turn like, say, an axial compressor might, it doesn't impart any energy into the air stream. Indeed, by inducing the air to change direction (i.e. go from straight-in flow to circular/spiral), it's losing forward velocity, velocity that is very much needed to get air into the manifold. In other words, there's going to be a pressure drop across the pop-can and increased pumping losses for the engine, always a bad thing in an intake tract.

Second, even if the vortex-effect was a "good thing" and naturally long-lived, it will not survive the passage through the throttle body, the small passages and numerous direction changes that occur in the manifold.

"Swirl" is a good thing around intake valves because it helps ensure homogenous mixture distribution and complete atomization. But this is occuring by design down in the port, not by this pop-can device in the intake tract, more than a foot away.

·
Registered
236 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mike, your right! The air 'pockets & gaps' from the air having to redirect may cause for eneven air flow which will freak-out my sensors and computer intake settings and not create any more power. Its just hard not to believe a guy with a pocket protector.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Mike.

it was reviewed in the bay area probe club, here are those hp numbers

Run #1 w/Tornado: 145.1 HP, 147.3 lb-ft

Run #2 w/Tornado: 145.3 HP, 146.7 lb-ft

Run #3 noTornado: 148.0 HP, 149.8 lb-ft

Run #4 noTornado: 146.8 HP, 149.3 lb-ft

Run #5 w/Tornado: 145.6 HP, 148.8 lb-ft Run

#6 w/Tornado: 146.3 HP, 148.4 lb-ft

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Thanks John, those were the exact tests I was thinking of.

·
Registered
359 Posts
For sure!

I read something on the net saying that Tornado was a big waste of money. Its just junk. :sigh:

I think their main selling market is like 15,16 year old kids who think that it will give their Honda Civic 200 more HP.

All I say is scure that dumb Tornado thing and just buy an Cool air intake. @-

P

·
0 Posts
Now common even though we do hate all Civic ... people, we do not have to express a dislike of younguns.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts