Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start with, I sold my MX6 to my parents so that my brother could buy it from them when he was old enough to drive. He turned 16 back at the end of February and got the car then. Now to the story.
My brother texted me the other day (I go to school in ND and he lives w/ my parents in MN) that he crashed the car. It was the 2nd so I was like "haha, April fools right? Please?" He answered that he wished and so I of course asked for how much damage and pics. He said he didn't know the damage and he couldn't get pics because it got towed :eek: He sent me pics yesterday and later I heard from my dad it is for sure totaled.
Pics of car as it was when I had it

And after less than 2 months of my brother driving it. (His crappy cell phone pics)

Suspension completely f'ed, bumper tore up on the bottom and front you can kind of see, wheel cracked and shredded, fender pushed in so far the door won't open, somehow the passenger side fender is messed up almost identical, and god knows what else. Also the hood may be cracked I was just told. Somewhere around the mounting points and/or latch.

I now wish I would have just sold it to some random kid never to see it again, which I had originally wanted to do because of something like this.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
sorry dude, hearing about it is one thing, seeing it is worse but knowing it was your bro driving makes it unbearable. I'm loaning my best mate my 6 atm so he can get around and i dread it every time he rings me!

Hope its fixable, looks a sweet looking 6 mate.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
1)From that pic, it looks fixable. I've got a driver side fender for you if you're interested.
2) I'd kill your brother and use the life insurance you'll collect to "buy" the car back from your parents.

It's a shame to see yet another young driver ruin a car that's been worked on so very hard.

Hope you'll find it in you to fix it, as long as there's not too much frame damage. Good Luck!:tup:

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
WOW i'd be piiiiisssed beyond belief...really sorry to hear about the loss, that's ridiculous...

I know this doesn't matter know, but it actually looked better with the aspecs (flowed better)

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Definatly looks fixable if someone is willing to do it. Its just why would you fix up a 13ish year old car? you know theres gonna be more mechanical issues in the future.

New suspension and wheels, fenders, is maybe 2K depending on what parts you choose.

·
Registered
249 Posts
i`d pay it back ,an fix it . if i was you .

who cares if its 13 yrs old . gezz.. why fix up a 1970`s car then hmmm? same difference .

·
Registered
730 Posts
^I second that notion. I'm trying to figure out what he did...

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
looks like how my first mx6 died. I bet he took a turn too fast and bit a curb :p I hit a wheel on the hwy going 50 and even my wheel didn't push back that far. my fender wasn't even bent that badly. had frame and suspension damage. i know how you feel man, sucks

i bet your lower control arm is bent to shit, strut is bent, strut tower seams are cracked, subframe is bent, inside the fender has been bent up from the wheel going back and hitting it. potential wheel bearing damage, possible endlink carnage, etc.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2) I'd kill your brother and use the life insurance you'll collect to "buy" the car back from your parents.
It's a shame to see yet another young driver ruin a car that's been worked on so very hard.
Thought about it, but I figure then I'm in trouble and can't have fun with the car anyway lol. Didn't like the idea of him having it because he is so young and because he is my brother and I would know if something happened to it I would want to hurt him. But I figured I got the car when I was 16 so it would survive.:sigh:

Definatly looks fixable if someone is willing to do it. Its just why would you fix up a 13ish year old car? you know theres gonna be more mechanical issues in the future.
Thats what I was thinking. But I'm not around there to see the car and I don't know what is wrong under the car. I just named things that I could guess at. The guy a couple quotes down has the right idea though. And it is the frame I'm worried about. Plus the insurance is giving him a decent check considering what the car is 'actually' worth(KBB).

How the hell did he manage to do that?

Edit: If you scrap the car I'll take that hood for the price of shipping. ;)

That really does suck though. That was a very clean mx6 with tasteful mods.
bmx got it right. His story: "He was trying to take a turn at about 25 in the dark and suddenly his girlfriend(in the car with him) yelled "CURB!!" and he slammed on the brakes and slid into the curb." After I talked to my parents I learned that he was taking a shortcut through a parking lot road type area in the dark and there was sand all over it being in MN after a winter. My guess is showing off for his gf and then wham, owned.
Also we are stripping it of the good stuff and most likely trying to find another decent 6 to replace it with. Most likely he won't see it though for a while(I hope). And that is assuming that most of the mods aren't messed too bad. I had it down on blues and sprints and i feel those won't be so easy to replace just one, if any. Thanks for the compliment on the car too, I loved 'er.

looks like how my first mx6 died. I bet he took a turn too fast and bit a curb :p I hit a wheel on the hwy going 50 and even my wheel didn't push back that far. my fender wasn't even bent that badly. had frame and suspension damage. i know how you feel man, sucks

i bet your lower control arm is bent to [shizzle], strut is bent, strut tower seams are cracked, subframe is bent, inside the fender has been bent up from the wheel going back and hitting it. potential wheel bearing damage, possible endlink carnage, etc.
Correct, and you are quite good at the parts naming game. I'm also wondering the validity of his story if your car wasn't that messed up at 50. Oh well, what are you going to do

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
So now the real question is, how much do you really love your brother? Hahaha. If I had a sibling and he did that to my car...there would be some serious consequences and repercussions.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
definitely didnt happen at 20-25 mph. i hit a curb going 35 on a slide and all i got was a bent lower control arm, a crazy bent rim, tie rod and strut. had to have definitely been going way faster for that lip to get the way it did...

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
that car was looking sexy when u had it

sorry to hear and see what happened to it

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I hit a curb dead on at 70 and all it gave was this:

and a Bent strut. He's obviously lying about something. Make his girlfriend spill, she won't be able to lie.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
i hit the wheel on the hwy going 50 and it barely cracked the lip on my FD NON reinforced rim. you can't even tell it's cracked until you get maybe 3 ft away. i'm stilling using the wheel by the way. tire guys said it was still safe to use, held air just fine, and it balanced with no problems. your bro must have been going around 80 and he decided to take a turn and the curb jumped out of nowhere.

oh yeah, i apparently hit the wheel on the hwy with both the front and rear tires. found out the rear strut was bent. rear tire didn't even show any sign of hitting anything

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hit a curb dead on at 70 and all it gave was this:
and a Bent strut. He's obviously lying about something. Make his girlfriend spill, she won't be able to lie.
definitely didnt happen at 20-25 mph. i hit a curb going 35 on a slide and all i got was a bent lower control arm, a crazy bent rim, tie rod and strut. had to have definitely been going way faster for that lip to get the way it did...
i hit the wheel on the hwy going 50 and it barely cracked the lip on my FD NON reinforced rim. you can't even tell it's cracked until you get maybe 3 ft away. i'm stilling using the wheel by the way. tire guys said it was still safe to use, held air just fine, and it balanced with no problems. your bro must have been going around 80 and he decided to take a turn and the curb jumped out of nowhere.

oh yeah, i apparently hit the wheel on the hwy with both the front and rear tires. found out the rear strut was bent. rear tire didn't even show any sign of hitting anything
Wow, that is all very interesting news. I'll have to sit him down for a 'talk' next time i see him.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I'm guessing my brother is done driving for a long while. This morning, not 2 weeks after totaling the 6, he backs my dad's Titan into some little car he didn't see in the school parking lot! The truck is fine as is usually the case, but he said the little car is messed up pretty bad. Everyone is ok as well. I just can't figure out why my parents let him drive the big truck when he can't even handle a little car?! Not sure if I'm more angry with him or my parents for being so lenient.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
although too many cars got messed up on the way, but it's good to get such a driver off the roads.

your brother needs a good ass kicking.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts