Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Seems my car detailing abilities are making its way around the town I live in. My buddy Justin pitched his buddy, who owns the MR2, that we could detail it.

I don't go out of my way to offer detailing, its more of a hobby/interest that I like to do on my car. So below is what you will see for my first commercial job.

This car had it BAD. The paint was brutally oxidized and major UV damage. Some panels were so bad that they were more orange than red. When I say this thing, I almost slapped Justin :p I wasn't expecting to be doing massive paint correction.

So here are some of the ugglies of the car

So you get the idea, she is in rough shape

How do I tackle this?

Well, this is a single stage paint and a random orbital buffer sucked on this thing. So I decided to tackle it by hand.

Justin L clay bared the car, then I took Meguires Ultimate compound, by hand - kid you not, way easier than the machine.

Did half the hood, then did Auto Glym Polish, then Auto Glym HiDef Wax, and below are the results.

This area of the hood took about 40 minutes to do.

So after that - being very satisfied. Justin and I went to town on the rest of the car with the same process, after 5 hours - below are the results!!

So that is it - we made a couple hundred and I don't want to do this again :) I will stick to my Mx6/probe brethren - but nice to know what I can do for other cars.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
Very nice, did you do that by hand or with a polisher?

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
ha! you're nuts to do that by hand man! nice job. (you have learned well grasshopper! lol)

For red single stage paint, you might want to have the owner looking into getting Zymol Rouge, it's a color correcting wax that enhances and protects the richness of the red. I have a regular client of mine for whom I bought this wax for his red Corrado and it's amazing. He comes to see me twice a year to have the car refreshed and the wax topped off.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Yes, the wax is made specifically for red single stage paints. They called it Rouge so it would be easy to understand which type of car it goes with.

http://www.zymol.com/zymolrougewax8oz.aspx

Zymol has many French names for their waxes to create an easy understanding of what it was made for, such as:

Rouge
Ebony (same in both languages)
Atlantique
Japon
Carbon (same as english)
Creme
Royale

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
yeah, boutique waxes are rarely OTC or available locally. If you want a sample of REALLY high end wax, I have a 1oz sample of Zymol Vintage I am looking to get rid of (I have a full jar, so I don't need a 1oz sample jar as well)

ZYMOL VINTAGE GLAZE 22 oz

Let me know if you're interested. :) I'll make you a better deal than my current asking price.

PS: I just spent 3 days on a Porsche 911, should I post this one up as a complete write-up?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts