Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to start a thread here to document anything that we (me and jasons96pgtze) discover and figure out.

The trans we are using is from a 93-99 Toyota MR2 and has a viscous LSD stock. these things are bulletproof. This current trans is a NON-LSD with a locked up differential. i'll be using this for everything except the axles.

without further ado, here's what 1 day of work has brought us so far

1. the stock MR2 clutch disc will NOT fit inside a KL flywheel. We've found a solution (courtesy of therieldeal) with a clutch disc from a 2wd toyota pickup truck. However this does not leave an alternative for an aftermarket disc such as a 6 puck or equivalent.

2. if we end up using the stock KL flywheel, the KL starter does not fit into the starter hole on the MR2 transmission. There will need to be an alternative found for this.

3. I made an engine stand that will hold the engine from the sides. this way i can work with the back of the engine and everything. We're officially underway on the conversion

4. The stock speedometer on an MR2 is mechanical. Need to source a vehicle that uses this same transmission and has an electronic speedometer.

If you've followed my other thread (the build log for my MX6) then you'll know i have a habit of finishing things that i start :)

Don't mind the tornado that came through my shed. i'm still working on cleaning everything up and i literally have ZERO storage space for anything.

Things that are still needed for now:

• Clutch disc from a 2wd Toyota Pickup. - FOUND
  • MR-2 starter, or information on how many teeth are on the starter.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
after some searching and comparing. i've found a 6 puck disc for the toyota pickup :)lol:)

it is ACT part # 6224207. that is the solid hub, i'm not sure if the spring hub uses the same part # or not.

8 7/8" diameter (just like our stock one) and 21 spline (just like the MR2 transmission)

Clutch disc found :tup:

UnorthodoxCreations (PT member) posted the idea to go to a friendly auto parts store (autozone in my case) and ask to count the teeth on a starter

going to pick up the clutch disc and alignment tool in a few minutes, as well as count the teeth on a starter.

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
Interesting.....

I am in the process of doing a similar conversion, E58>FE3.....and I needed the mechanical speedo assembly to match in my case the GC's mechanical speedo cable. (which it does nicely)

Getting an electronic sender should be pretty easy.

As most toyotas that had the E series box use electronic (I had some trouble finding a mechanical one, and ended up getting it out of an AE95 corolla AWD)

try the Rav4, Camry v6 and late model supercharged corollas (post 1990) The hardest thin might be finding one with a good match for the speedo gear ratio, depends on how accurate you want it to be.

I have an electronic one I could post you if you get really desperate (I am in Australia tho) plus mine has a damaged plug, I am sure you'll be able to source one locally

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm gonna look at some later model camerys if i can find one that is an MTX.

Clutch disc is ordered. will be here tomorrow along with an alignment tool.

1st hurdle so far, the MR2 starter has 13 teeth, the KL only has 12. Need to figure something out for that...

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I've completed this conversion on my FE3 626, except I used a supercharged Levin gearbox, which is 90% the same thing, it just has a different bell housing bolt up.

I also have an electric speedo gear lying around. The speedos should be pretty spot on, my speedo reads 100km/h when i'm actually goin 103km/h.

Word of advice, when you get your adaptor plate cut and drilled, make 5-10 of them, if you make them, you WILL sell them!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've completed this conversion on my FE3 626, except I used a supercharged Levin gearbox, which is 90% the same thing, it just has a different bell housing bolt up.

I also have an electric speedo gear lying around. The speedos should be pretty spot on, my speedo reads 100km/h when i'm actually goin 103km/h.

Word of advice, when you get your adaptor plate cut and drilled, make 5-10 of them, if you make them, you WILL sell them!
oh i know they'll sell bro. along with the axles thats a big part of why we are doing this :D

if you're willing to part with that speed sensor for free. you would be awesome :cool:

ah i just realized you are in AUS as well. damn ocean!

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
See if you can locate one over your side of the pond first, if not we'll sort something out.

Put me down for 1 plate anyway :p

I just realised you actually have an MR2 tranny, you'll need to find all the shifter setup from a FWD box to convert it. You may as well go and buy a complete camry box, that way you'll have the shifter setup and the speedo drive you need.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
im glad your posting this over here too.

i could be down for one too. pending mine doesn't hold together this year :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
See if you can locate one over your side of the pond first, if not we'll sort something out.

Put me down for 1 plate anyway :p

I just realised you actually have an MR2 tranny, you'll need to find all the shifter setup from a FWD box to convert it. You may as well go and buy a complete camry box, that way you'll have the shifter setup and the speedo drive you need.
the cable assembly will be easy to make, i used to make bicycle brake cables all the time. the sole reason for using the MR2 transmission is the LSD.

Colin, i'm in the same boat as you. i've never blown a trans since i've been boosted. This will be a nice change in gear ratios though :D

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Yes cables are easy to make! But flipping the shifter over onto the rear of the box is also easy to do, its just a matter of undoin the plate on the rear, slotting the assembly in and blocking off the hole in the front! Then you dont need to make cables, you can just grab them from any FWD toyota, as they all use cables, just mix and match until you find some a nice length, I used ST204 celica cables with an ST184 celica shifter base in mine. Worked perfect :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh really you can just pull them out and swap them like that? on this trans the part that comes up is actually part of the case.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Some of the V6 Solara transmissions had an LSD on them from factory, and it's a far superior revision of the E153 transmission. Just food for thought.

Other food for thought, since the E153 is very heavy, and very expensive:

The Toyota S54 transmission should easily hold 350whp or so, is way cheaper to source, and weighs less.

You could also call South Bend clutches and tell them what you're doing, and they'll put together a disc/PP kit for you at a reasonable price. :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
yea i just went and checked. no way to "flip" the shift linkage on this one

the clutch situation is taken care of :) i've sourced a 6 puck ACT disc for an 88 toyota pickup (why they make 6 puck discs for them, i have no clue) which will allow us to use our KL flywheels and pressure plates (fidanza user here)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the cylindrical part that the shifter linkage comes out of, and has the cap with 4 bolts on it is part of the transmission case. the only thing that unbolts is the cap with the 4 bolts.

you can see it on the pic of the 2 transmissions side by side

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OH NO SHIT BRO!!!!

fucking right on! you just saved a shitload of work for us. major props!!

i really hope this works, i did notice your trans has the starter on the back side rather than the front like this one does, but i dont know if thatll make any difference or not.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yea i was just out there looking and messing with mine, my shifter fork thing is alot different from yours.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts