Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
got the clutch disc, got the trans on (so to say)

New issues discovered

Adapter plate and flywheel spacer needs to be 1" thick. the reason for this is a bolt on the differential that would otherwise interfere with the block and the transmission being at its proper rotation on the crank.

There will need to be a spacer on the mounting plate of the intermediate shaft, as of right now it sits crooked when in the differential (the splines don't fit, but the shaft sits crooked inside the differentia.) which means when we have the proper intermediate shaft made, it will slide in straight and won't allow the mounting plate for the intermediate shaft to bolt onto the block. therefore a spacer will be needed.

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
why dont you change that bolt for a countersunk cap head ?
It means you wont be able to get the cover off once the trans is installed...but I dont see why you would need to.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
why dont you change that bolt for a countersunk cap head ?
It means you wont be able to get the cover off once the trans is installed...but I dont see why you would need to.
a countersunk screw won't work, as there is no bevel in the transmission for it to seat against.

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
a countersunk screw won't work, as there is no bevel in the transmission for it to seat against.
Machine one into the side plate.....

I dont know what your philosophy about how much modification to the trans of block your prepared to tolerate, but it might be case of the lesser of two evils.

at 1" thick spacer is going to be pretty heavy unless is alloy, then there is the relative postion of the trans laterally and whether you can use any factory driveshafts or whether they all have to be custom.

In Jesiotrots thread : http://www.mx6.com/forums/fe-dohc/228291-fe3-turbo-626-wagon-finally-runs-6.html
you'll notice that some of the cover plate needed to be "trimmed" for clearance.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Machine one into the side plate.....

I dont know what your philosophy about how much modification to the trans of block your prepared to tolerate, but it might be case of the lesser of two evils.

at 1" thick spacer is going to be pretty heavy unless is alloy, then there is the relative postion of the trans laterally and whether you can use any factory driveshafts or whether they all have to be custom.

In Jesiotrots thread : http://www.mx6.com/forums/fe-dohc/228291-fe3-turbo-626-wagon-finally-runs-6.html
you'll notice that some of the cover plate needed to be "trimmed" for clearance.
we are going with the no machine work needed to either route, we have plans to sell the hardware we develop and want to make it as straightforward as possible.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
1" thick adapter is too thick, you will have issues with the clutch engagement and the driveshaft lengths. With transmisson conversions one of the main things that needs to be kept in mind at all times is driveshaft positions and lengths. My plate is 12mm, if it was 24mm, I would have serious issues with shafts. Also unless the plate is alloy, its going to weigh a fucking tonne.

That plate on the back of the transmission does nothing. Its just a cover, when the box is used in 4WD the transfer bolts on there.
Trim the plate on the back of the box down, take it off and see what is under that bolt, I'm fairly sure you can just cut it off and silicone it back on again, that's what i did to mine.

I understand you're trying to make a bolt up kit for people, but if someone isn't capable of taking off a plate, trimming it and silicone it back on again, they really shouldn't be attempting a transmission conversion!

Also you need to find an intermediate shaft from an MR2. You also need the shafts from a Celica, speak to therielddeal about exactly what he used, because it will probably work the same for you. The only issue is you might need to swap over to 1st gen front hubs, as the Toyota uses 26 spline, they slot straight into 1st gen non turbo hubs. But your 2nd gen hubs will be 28 spline. Unless anyone knows if 2nd gen 4cyl hubs are 26 spline?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
4 cylinder 2nd gen hubs are 28 splines. but thats some awesome info man! my concern would be bolting the MR2 intermediate shaft onto the block, but we might be able to make an adapter for it and use countersunk screws on that.

one of the main things i'm concerned with is that we are going to be using the LSD trans and i don't know if the celica axles would work with that.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
4 cylinder 2nd gen hubs are 28 splines. but thats some awesome info man! my concern would be bolting the MR2 intermediate shaft onto the block, but we might be able to make an adapter for it and use countersunk screws on that.

one of the main things i'm concerned with is that we are going to be using the LSD trans and i don't know if the celica axles would work with that.
The Celica axles will work.

You'll need MR2 inners and Celica GT4/Alltrac outers.

There's also a possibility that 88-91 Camry V6 axles may work. They have the right spline and diameter on both sides.

·
Registered
271 Posts
ok so this thread is staring to get VERY VERY interesting...... shoping for a mr2 tranny right now!!!!! lol
good luck bro!!!! hope you succeed at this, we would ALL benefit from this, BIG TIME.... lol

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
ok so this thread is staring to get VERY VERY interesting...... shoping for a mr2 tranny right now!!!!! lol
good luck bro!!!! hope you succeed at this, we would ALL benefit from this, BIG TIME.... lol
LOL seriously bro, if you find an LSD one for a cheap price PLEASE let me know. i will make sure you get the hardware to install this kit for exactly the cost of having it made!

·
Registered
271 Posts
no prob, i was actually gonna hit up some of the yards in your area (pa) doubt ill find much, but il let you know...... lol
i just finished my engine..... so money is kinda tight but im gonna still look

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
well you won't find anything at harry's in hazleton. they didn't even have any 5 speed camrys there

·
Registered
4,493 Posts

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
well you won't find anything at harry's in hazleton. they didn't even have any 5 speed camrys there
That's not surprising. V6 M5 Camrys are made of unobtanium.

·
Registered
271 Posts
funding????
what are we talking about???
funding for what??? machining??
i have a guy who does all my one off's... let me know

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
mainly parts. the machine work i can have done extremely cheap with my hook ups.

Need an LSD trans, celica alltrac axles, MR2 LSD intermediate shaft and the MR2 drivers side inner axle snub

·
Registered
271 Posts
oh damn......
well isnt the most important part fitting it to the engine, that other stuff is minor ish....
let me know, im REALLY considering it..... but 1200 for the trans with lsd (average price ive found) is a little steep...... but not gonna make a move until the whole fitting engine to tranny thing is set..... hit me up let me know

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
oh damn......
well isnt the most important part fitting it to the engine, that other stuff is minor ish....
let me know, im REALLY considering it..... but 1200 for the trans with lsd (average price ive found) is a little steep...... but not gonna make a move until the whole fitting engine to tranny thing is set..... hit me up let me know
The MR2 Turbo LSD isn't anything to write home about, especially after being 15+ years old.

I'd look into grabbing a non-LSD tranny (early MR2 Turbo, V6 Camry/Solara), and a quaife/Mfactory LSD.

Don't rule out the S54 transmission, either. Bolts up the same as the E153, little tighter gearing, Quaife makes an LSD for it, and it should still hold 350-400whp without breaking a sweat. (94-99 Celica GT 5sfe, n/a SW20 MR2s.)

21 - 40 of 54 Posts