Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
This is funny, I never thought I would see this but neat idea.

Some information that may help:
1) after 1992 they used Electronic not Manual Speedo's just grab one not a big thing maybe 20-40 on the MR2OC.

2) While those 93+ LSD's are ok they require a specific axle and they are not the best LSD. I went with an Aftermarket for a few reasons;
a) I can use non-lsd axles which are cheaper and may other options among other Toyota's for making custom axles. They also have quite a few axle rebuilds for over 300WHP as it is for the MR2's and Celica's.
b) Unlike the Toyota LSD, these LSD's are aggressive and act like a normal LSD (aka both wheels spin the same way easy to spot. I also remember a difference in the tranny fluid you use but I have to go back and remind myself.

3) The Non-LSD is cheaper obviously and easy to find. Putting in the LSD will obviously bring the cost up but frankly compared to a used LSD from a 93+ you can buy a Non-LSD, replace the synchro's and anything else minor and put in the LSD to have a solid transmission you know its condition compared to a used unknown that takes specific axles.

There were other factors but thats just some food for thought.

This is a good idea, I wish you luck.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
^This.

Also worth mentioning that the later Camry/Solara V6 E153 transmissions are better, anyways. They'll have lower miles, and have much improved synchros over the MR2 units.

I have a late Solara E153 with a TRD Japan LSD.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
our concern with the non-LSD trans is the strength of the rest of the internals aside from the LSD.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
our concern with the non-LSD trans is the strength of the rest of the internals aside from the LSD.
Shouldn't be a concern at all. Other than the LSD, the transmissions are identical. Any E153, whether it be LSD or not, MR2, or Camry, or Solara, is going to be able to take far more abuse than you'll be able to dish out to it with pretty much any Mazda 4 or 6 cylinder.

Fun fact: The strongest E153 isn't even usually LSD from factory. That would be the later Camry/Solara units.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hey...how difficult is it for you to find All-Trac axles? I am going up to duluth (MN) this weekend, and I found one axle up there...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
to be honest i haven't even searched for any yet. i know there are none at my local junkyards though.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Hey...how difficult is it for you to find All-Trac axles? I am going up to duluth (MN) this weekend, and I found one axle up there...
Hard. When was the last time you saw an AllTrac in the junkyard?

You can order them from most parts chains, though.

But if you're going with the MR2 LSD transmission, the part that you should be worried about is finding the MR2 LSD inner axles. Those are hard to find unless you want to get raped at the Toyota dealer. I sourced mine off of MR2oc.com, but then again, i don't have an LSD trans. I've got a non-LSD with aftermarket LSD.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
There are not strength differences, just a viscous LSD vs an open dif.

Other than that all the information you need is present and finding axles becomes 100 times easier.

However if you need LSD Axles sometimes you can get those eBay engine importers to sell them to you for around 150-200 a pop.

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
The problem with viscous LSDs is that they loose their effect over time.

It'd be bad news to fork out extra $ for a viscous LSD trans only to find that the viscous LSD is worn out...when you could have bought an open diff trans and bought an aftermarket clutch type or torsen type LSD for it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Nope. I'm about to pick this project up and do everything by myself, I need to get my car running and driveable first though.

I haven't heard anything from the guy who was funding the project. But it looks like i'll be the one who is taking on the project as a whole.

·
Registered
110 Posts
yeah good to hear someone may get it done .... i made up the fe3 to toyota box plates over here and i am considering making up a plate for kl to e sreies box.

i have pulled alot of these boxs apart and know them inside out .
late modle mr2 turbo boxs are the same as solara and camry i have both apart atm it is just the shifter issue that can be fixed with a small welsh plug and the shifter parts from a camry/solara/gt4 box

your issue with the lsd drive shafts ... the lsd ones are about 5mm shorter on the spline ... nothing to worry about . u can buy brand new drive shafts off ebay and they work in both lsd and non lsd

a 12mm adaptor works well and there is still enough adjustment in the clutch fork to make up for the 12mm ...

if u dnt wanna trim the plate on the box that gose were the transfer gos make the adaptor plate cover all those holes and put the drive shaft seal in it so it makes it part of the box ...

i have been giving my box hell and it has taken it fine... 3 gear limmiter burnouts just drop it and let it smoke hahhah

the only thing is make sure u get as many dowel pins in there and they are tight as. just bolts by them selves arnt enough and dnt keep it centerd .
to run twin plate clutches i need to be with in 10 thou of center . and if u are out on a single it will work for a bit then kill the spline on yu clutch or the bearings in the box .

..... ohhhh and make sure u remove the old spigot bearing as the new one dosent need it and it needs the room to fit in there

if u need a had on how to get it spot on center or makeing the plate at all msg me or add me to yu msn [email protected]

hope something i have said helps ....

41 - 54 of 54 Posts