Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aiming to get lots of opinions. Would my 1981 corona tow 750kg worth of trailer sailer yacht if I was to do a 2.4L 22r engine swap? Still carbie and with the 5speed box(currently have 4 speed). The Corona that came with the 2.4L is rated to 850kg towing or something. Also, will the 2.0L tow that as well as they are easier to find. Tried registering on toymods.net, but man are they slow at activating accounts.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Don't you already have a project car? :p This is why i don't want a 2nd car for DD

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
Shhhhh :). This wont be a project, just an engine swap, driveline swap :).
Thats what they all say :D

Truth of the matter, I really dont think an extra 20% engine size would be worth it....Depends how often you two stuff mind you...

You'll notice 750Kg, I towed a 750kg skid steer (not including the trailer weight) with a toyota camry 2.2 Auto (93 model) and it was slow.....but It did the job

depends how tolerant you are of slow shit. The corona as it stands is low enough geared....you'd want to convert it to an electric fan at least, and maybe go for a larger radiator.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Ohnestly - I've got s simpel answer for you

you know them old -Rich but like TIGHTARSE OLD wog type people
who own old toyotas the 2.4L RESPONSIVE CORONA comes to mind and holens they are like that they tow this crappy allumium boat out each weekend with 20 year old fishing rods and lines - with hooks so rust the fish just fall off.
When they drive up the road - they never take freeway. They sit at 50-60km/h on 80-90km/h road in the middle lane they never take the left. always middle and move into the right about 7 kms from when they turn right.

Well that will be you. because once you flog it because you can't help but want to go at least speed limit the rings just go AH - My ring hole it's dead. and hello oil - over some guys mx-6 or tx-5 or 626 behind you

Don't both man other wise I'll have to start to call you a westy FARK.

Look it can do it but you have to drive like dill. Slow and easy on it. and yeah a electric fan on the front with low thermostatic switch over. about 15-20 below idel running temp.
they are tough but it's age will catch up with it.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Cheif the difference is the 20% engine size increase is also 20% more of a Toyota engine and not the holden starfire crap. As long as it can physically do it, then I am happy. I know it will be slow :). Yer the 1.9L can barely take its own weight up a hill, it definately wont tow.

I plan on towing almost every second weekend. I was thinking if I get a donor car, either the 1985 toyota Corona with the 2.4 or the Toyota hilux same year same motor, and swap radiator etc all over it should do the job, not to mention spare parts I will strip before scrapping the shell.

I just got a message from a Corona owner with the 2.4L who said that he has towed one tonne no problem with a 200kg dual axle trailer with only a bit of clutch slip issues. To the tip etc filled with concrete. Looks like this will happen :).

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
Fair enough....I was more just pointing out to beware of the DD becoming another project....

Sure if you can get the 22R cheap enough then by all means swap it over, I always thought the starfire 4 would make a good boat anchor.

Dont forget tho that hilux's came out with a 16R, and I've driven arounf in one of those loaded to the eyeballs with brick pavers....

But as you say if you going to be towing nearly once a week, it'd piss me off to have something that slow.

I'd buy a falcon or something like that, something big enough to take a car trailer if needed.

I used to borrow my mate's 84 LTD to do this, and with the 626 on a car trailer on the back, you'd hardly know it was there.....fuel economy...dont even mention it!

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It would be a shame to buy a falcon but the thought did cross my mind. Thing is this Corona is immaculate all over and just with a decent engine would make a great car for daily driving and commuting.

Hmm 16R you say... If it has the low end power to drag a boat, might look at that. The 2.4L is being hard to find for some reason. I dont want to go to wreckers as they will charge way too much for the whole driveline. Easier to buy whole car. I dont care if it is slow.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was getting a little dissapointed because a 22r donor car is very very hard to find. Then I realised that my parents have a Subaru Imprezza automatic that is rated to tow 900kg's. I will just use that and leave the Corona as is :D.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
well there is your answer.

·
Registered
892 Posts
A guy on streetcommodores tried towing a trailer that was more then the car was rated at.

yeah he flipped afew times and lost his legs.

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
There is towing and there is towing....

I always believe that the tow vehicle should weigh more than the trailer and whatever is on it combined...and even then you have to have trailer brakes.

I know some states have regulations that allow otherwise, but in general, if you apply that rule and drive carefully there should not be an issue.

I remember sitting at an intersection waiting, and seeing a guy behind me in an XD ute towing a horse float, with it all locked up coming towards me....I was thinking about making a run for it...but thankfully the lights went green, and we drove off, and he got it back under control.....

and there was an instance where the towed weight was borderline for the towing vehicle...could have been messy..

There is a good reason that they only allow vehicles with trailers to do 80km/h max.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
There is a good reason that they only allow vehicles with trailers to do 80km/h max.
HA HA HA HA LOL

all I can say is M5 - M4 - Tow car was twin turbo V8 - GEn3 VU ute - on back was car trailer with a Torana strapped down hard.

It was inthe right lane passing most other cars.

No was not at the wheel. I was following hoping it would fall off hit the TX-5 and I'd make $6K

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I remember sitting at an intersection waiting, and seeing a guy behind me in an XD ute towing a horse float, with it all locked up coming towards me....I was thinking about making a run for it...but thankfully the lights went green, and we drove off, and he got it back under control.....
That horse might of made a mess as well, trailers having a tendancy to go sideways upsidedownways etc in a crash.

The Subaru weighs 1350kg or so, rated to tow 900kg, the boat +trailer is 750kg maybe 800kg max. It is auto. Seeing as it is rated to 900, I should be fine and not have to install a auto trans cooler or something, shouldnt it have one stock anyway (being a new car)?

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
shouldnt it have one stock anyway (being a new car)?
Most Auto's would all have a trans cooler.....but whether its good enough for tow use is another thing.

Generally the recommendation is that if youre doing alot of towing then it'd be useful to invest in a bigger trans cooler....theyre usually available for falcons and commodores, off the shelf....dont know about subarus.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
it will have one in the bottom of the radiator

standard towing pack for all auto's

is to add a aditional oil cooler to the trans - air type.

Mazda had them standard for temps here in aus but were small.

the local cars ue them as part of towing pack.

Just cut into the line comign from the radiator going back to trans
run to your new oil coooler.

As for choice - the cheap way - is holen ford wreaker and use one of them. Perfect size.

Of you buy off the shelf small 4 cylinder size approx $70 upto $120 for something a ute might need.

personally bigger is better.

but 6 cylinder for a falcon is perfect.
it just aids to it longevity to the gearbox.
it's also best to drive it in power mode or disengage the overdrive.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
yeah I was going to post here a few days ago and say just get a falcon or something.

Even with a 900kg towing capacity I'd be hesitant at towing 800kg too often...

heh should go with what my parents have - Jeep commander. Tows their 2.5 tonne caravan with no worries at all. doesnt even slow for most hills =D

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yer but then I would own a shit falcon. After a year or two I will probably buy my own towing car + new daily and sell the Corona. Im thinking a 2.5L Subaru Liberty wagon auto would be sweet as good on fuel + 1200kg tow capacity. LPG falcon would be nice, but I don't think I will ever bring my self to buy a falcon or Commodore unless it was a big big big big bargain. The money spent fixing leaks on the falcon, and everything on the Commodore will cancel out the fuel saving pretty quick. Especially now that fuel is $1 a litre again I tend not to care as much for consumption:). Could never buy a 4wd like your parents though daevilone, except maybe a Honda CRV or something, not practical enough to drive everyday. It does suck how everything is a comprise, you cant have a roomy car that is good on fuel, reliable and can tow, and is Japanese.

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
you cant have a roomy car that is good on fuel, reliable and can tow, and is Japanese.
what about this : http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/dealer/NISSAN/MAXIMA/details.aspx?R=6429921&Model=MAXIMA&State=New%20South%20Wales&__Nne=20&Make=NISSAN&RegionID=785&Region=State%20Wide&silo=1000&seot=0&__sid=11D7C1934CA4&state_id=898&__N=4294963846%20898%20834%20258%20287%20285%201216%204294963505%20785&__Ns=pCar_StatusSort_Int32|1||pCar_Price_Decimal|0&distance=25&Cr=2&trecs=36&__Qpb=true (...cut and paste it...the stupid c**t of a thing wont hyperlink.)

not generally a fan of them, but for the price who can complain....does all the things you want.

or you could go a toyota camry v6 from the mid 90s, but I have heard the early v6 had a few reliability problems compared to the 5S-FE

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I guess a Maxima wouldnt be too bad, fuck driving a camry though :). That 3.0L couldnt be that great on fuel though. And arent Maximas front drivers? No dedicated tow car can be a front driver.

Im going over to a yacht club meet to have a sail (first time) in 2 weeks and Im thinking of asking if someone can hook their trailer with boat on my Corona :). See if it can get up a hill or something. Someone said they towed a similar displacement yacht (700kgish with trailer) with a 1.5L Nissan pulsar from Melbourne to Sydney and countless lake and beach trips. 79kw, that is only like 10kw more then the Corona.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts