Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright gents i am having a problem with my new trailing arms. k i just bought these badass new custom arms from King6 (much appreciated man. amazing difference) and my problem is well when i hit a bump hard the trailing arms hit the frame... my car is lowered and im sure if i raise the thing high as the sky it would not hit but thats not an option i really want to do.

any help or ideas id appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
The lower your car is the stiffer the springs and dampers need to be so that you dont hit the bumps stops with less travel.

I'd say by the sounds of it that the rear suspension is way too soft.

Get some custom rear springs done, and maybe go 1-1.5mm bigger in wire dia (doesnt sound like much but it is) then see if you can get some koni adjustables, as you'll need to wind them up to damp the stiffer spring.....

or get some coil overs.

Just out of general interest, how low is it over stock ? and what springs and shocks have you got in there now ?

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
well its not hitting the bump stops it either hitting the frame/body or the rear lower control arm (i think)... cant really tell which but i would guess lateral links after looking at it.

that GIANT black beam is the trailing arm :D

well its got a custom chosen suspension bought from Mazda_MX6_Turbo... tokico illuminas in the front and blues in the rear with ground control coilovers custom ordered Ground Control coilovers, 8" front springs 375lb's rate, and 7" rear springs 250lb's rate, also added rear tender springs, which act as helper springs and help keep the rear wheels to the ground in hard cornering applications..

as far as height its 24" from ground to fender 1 finger fits comfortably between fender and tire

no pissing about rims i had 3 fucking tires with separated belts so new tires are going to be a christmas present to myself lol

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
Hmm,

Its got me, from your description it doesnt sound like your rear suspension is too soft....

Just a question tho, why did you replace the trailing arms ? what's the performance benefit over the stock ones ? I did find the GE trailing arms to be lighter than GD ones (only a fraction) but there also easier to bend than GD ones.

I was just having a close look at some photos I took under my GC when I fitted the GD rear suspension, and I cant see what part of the body the trailing arm can hit. About the only thing it can hit would be the chassis rail if the Knuckle end of the trailing arm even became higher than horizontal. Normally you would hit the bump stop on the shock before it got to that point.

My car is only lowered a bit, we have rules here in Oz where your car must be able to drive over a 4 inch cube....so no lower than 4 inches off the deck.
My rule of thumb is that the lower arms of the front suspension should be parallel to the ground, if the wheel end is higher than the chassis end the suspension will not perform at all like it should.

I drive over fairly bad roads, so the car needs be able to deal with that.

Are you able to get some better photos from under the car ? like this kind of angle :

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah ill try to get pics tomorrow.

as far as why upgrade the trailing arms... no real reason but when i did i could flex the stock arm pretty good and this thing is a freaking steel beam this shit dont flex:) it has actually made the rear stay planted better in turns and the like. basically the rear end feels MUCH more tight and controllable.

·
Banned
4,087 Posts
It's almost physically impossible for the trailing arm to hit the lateral link. The lateral link and trailing arm both bolt to the rear hub, and travel in synch with each other.

Why are you so sure its not the bump stops?

I can say that Ive had my cars dropped and slammed quite a bit, and never had a problem.

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my bad not lateral link i think its called rear lower control arm

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

sorry my bad i got distracted because of my new toy install :) RSTB and Lower Tie Bar just purchased from Keeloh

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
nvm gavin cleared it up for me:)

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
sweet i fixed the smacking problem i just raised it a hair and now not hitting :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts