Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 3 weeks ago, we finished up working on replacing the rear main seal between the engine and tranny. That worked out great, no leaks or anything. But sadly, starting a week ago, going through 2nd gear (it may eventually start happening in other gears, but for now it's just this one) I have this major problem.

Sometimes (it is getting more frequent) I am starting to feel a buck in the car, it feels like it's originating from the engine or tranny. The car is accelerating past 2k rpm fine, but when it gets to around 2k-3k atleast once it bucks. The whole car stops accelerating (or slows acceleration, but my body of course jumps forward becuase of good ole inertia), and then the car continues accelerating as if normal.

This is quickly becoming a bigger problem as time progesses, and I'd like to know what the heck is going on. I'm 90% sure it's not a flywheel issue, becuase from what I know, the RPMs would jump up if the flywheel was slipping (correct?). The feeling of the buck is like... accelerating quickly through 1st, shifting the second, and not get on the gas, letting the car jump back, before it jumps to the appropriate RPM, then getting back on the gas to continue acceleration (aka releasing the clutch too fast and not enough gas). I appologize if this sounds weird, its hard to describe it in words.

Thanks for help in advanced!

·
Registered
185 Posts
are your engine mounts in good condition?

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Is your distributor igniter module in good nick? Have you ever had it replaced?
Could be it is failing and the spark is actually cut for a sec…

·
Registered
67 Posts
Could be oil on the clutch plate/flywheel, this would cause the car to chatter when engaged and allow the clutch to slip

edit: Try putting your car in fourth with low rpm (2000ish), and floor it. see if the clutch slips

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not mounts, they were replaced less than 1k miles ago. Thats out.

It COULD be oil on my clutch/flywheel, but we made sure it was in correct shape before putting it back in. There was no oil on it. Maybe an oily fingerprint, if that.

I'm going to try out that 4th gear test soon, see if thats the problem.

Thanks for help! Hopefully this isn't a big deal :)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, tested it. Heres what happened:

first test, going in aroudn 1.5k and didn't give it full throttle; no problems.

second test, going in around 1.2k and gave it full throttle; numerous bucks. It could then be my distributor igniter module right?

·
Registered
67 Posts
define "bucks"

does the car stutter, like its not getting any gas? sorta sounds like it could be a fuel problem now, maybe a fuel filter, or dirty injectors? My car would "buck" or hesitate, at lower RPMS which was caused by a combination of old spark plug wires, old fuel filter, old spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor. (well at least the problem was fixed when i changed them all)

Is the car vibrating heavily when the symptoms occur? like chattering the dash at all? Thats what happend when i had tranny oil on my clutch/flywheel. The car acted as if it had a bad mount.

Im no mechanic, but hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Doobidooo1 said:
define "bucks"

does the car stutter, like its not getting any gas? sorta sounds like it could be a fuel problem now, maybe a fuel filter, or dirty injectors? My car would "buck" or hesitate, at lower RPMS which was caused by a combination of old spark plug wires, old fuel filter, old spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor. (well at least the problem was fixed when i changed them all)

Is the car vibrating heavily when the symptoms occur? like chattering the dash at all? Thats what happend when i had tranny oil on my clutch/flywheel. The car acted as if it had a bad mount.

Im no mechanic, but hope this helps.
Definition of Buck: The car is accelerating, but then stops, with a noise simliar to that of changing gears without gas, like something slips and the car "bucks" while it tries to adjust the throttle.

The car seems like it slips. It happens now whenever I accelerate hard at a low RPMs, sometimes even high. My car doesn't vibrate before or after it bucks.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
It really sounds like your ignition to me dude.. Sorry…

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Well like I was saying b4 if your spark cuts out it would give you that sort of sensation..
If it is not the dizzy I would be having a close look at the spark wires and the plugs… .
Under load spark leads can fail .. but under normal driving be totally normal..

G

·
cut off

it sounds strange, but i have run into this problem before. i urge you to check your alternator. your rectifier might be going out causing the current to switch back and forth from ac to dc. it sounds strange, but it works. switch out the alternator and see what happens. it should fix it.

:E dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts