Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have or know the Tranny gear ratios for the the V6 MX6 transmission? I need all 5 gears and the final drive.

·
Registered
113 Posts
a quick search came up with this:
1st:3.307:1
2nd:1.833:1
3rd:1.310:1
4th:1.030:1
5th:0.795:1
Rev:3.166:1
final:4.105:1

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now my next question.
Can the MX-3 V6 Transmission ratios/gears fit into the MX-6 V6 transmission?

·
Registered
113 Posts
G2 Racer said:
Now my next question.
Can the MX-3 V6 Transmission ratios/gears fit into the MX-6 V6 transmission?
the MX-3 gear ratios are exactly the same except for final drive which is 4.388:1 for quicker acceleration at the cost of lower top speed and maybe less mpg. here's the MX-3 gear ratios:
1st:3.307:1
2nd:1.833:1
3rd:1.310:1
4th:1.030:1
5th:0.795:1
Rev:3.166:1
final:4.388:1

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was told the MX-3 has a high 1st (3.31), 5th (0.8) and a higher final drive (4.39).

Could I benefit from the MX-3 final drive?

·
Registered
113 Posts
1st 3.307 is rounded to 3.31, 5th .79 is rounded to .8, 4.388 is rounded to 4.39...they are the same exact trannys with the exception of the final drive...would you benefit from the MX-3 final drive? it depends on what you want. It will have faster acceleration and a lower top speed...as you increase power you may have more wheelspin from the lower gearing, and you will probably have lower mpg.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess if I could get my hands on a spare MX-6 tranny it be something to tryout.

Thanks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
if you want the MX3 gear ratio, why not just buy an MX3 tranny rather than trying to tear it apart to swap parts?

edit: I just found one in Ontario for you...$200 canadian, tested ok http://www.abeautousedparts.com/ found it at http://www.car-part.com/index.htm search for whatever you want, the page numbers are listed at the bottom, click on the page # that has a * above it and it will take you to the page with the lowest price...as some of them don't have prices listed.
I bought my distributor off car-part.com and it was $73 shipped with a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
G2 Racer said:
Thanks,
I might just swap an mx3 tranny in.
no u wont. its not going to be a direct swap. the probe tranny however would be a direct replacement and has the same gears as the mx3 tranny.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Aussomea said:
no u wont. its not going to be a direct swap. the probe tranny however would be a direct replacement and has the same gears as the mx3 tranny.
why wouldn't it be a direct swap? one thing I'm not real sure on...the probe has taller tires on it, wouldn't the speedo gear be set for that taller tire?

·
Registered
113 Posts
not all the time...when I had a MX3 I was going to keep my tranny, but I wrecked the car and never got to swap in the ZE...but now that I've got the MX6 I love the taller gearing...

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
from what ive heard and read the mx3 and probe trannies are different parts and are not direct replacements. do u have any proof that im wrong??

the gear ratios arent that big a difference from the probe to the mx6. i did the calculations and when the speedos registering 159 on the mx6 with the probe tranny it will only be going 150. that is, if u could actually get the car to go that fast. and those numbers are like a ratio so....
159:150
106:100
53:50

1 - 14 of 14 Posts