Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 90 mx6 gt has a new tick in it that does not seem to be effecting the performance or shifting capabilities of the tranny YET!

I took it in to my local AAMCO shop and had it confirmed as a tranny problem and he wants 450 to swap my spare tranny in replacement of the one that is in it now ticking away. That seems like allot of money for something that is not certain to last so came my next thought...

Is there anyone out there making replacement trannys sold as new?
If so I would rather buy that and swap it in myself.

I was wondering what people are doing to swap trannys in these cars the quickest?
I was thinking of dropping the drivers subframe and brake suspension components while suspending the motor from a roof beam.
Any other ideas are appreciated.

Probably selling this rocket after the tranny swap!
Tooooo much money into her...

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I just had a transmission built for my GT. I looked but there were no replacements available. You could take a gamble on your spare or just get the spare rebuilt and swap it in when you get it back from the shop. It isn't all that difficult to do a trans swap. I doubt you would recoup the money on the trans rebuild if you are going to sell the car right after so you might as well just swap in the spare and pray its good.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just had a transmission built for my GT. I looked but there were no replacements available. You could take a gamble on your spare or just get the spare rebuilt and swap it in when you get it back from the shop. It isn't all that difficult to do a trans swap. I doubt you would recoup the money on the trans rebuild if you are going to sell the car right after so you might as well just swap in the spare and pray its good.
Great thanks for your input.

If you don't mind me asking how much did the rebuild cost for your tranny and who did it??

I checked out your car domain leads and like the car man, i've seen it before.
It looks well taken care of, clean and real good with the stock 3way yet dropped suspension setup.

keep it up and thanks again for your reply.

Drew.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh and I say I will sell it every time that its broken.
LOL!!!
until it's fixed again then I just can't let her go shes tooo fun!
I say Best sleeper you can get for the price, U just better not mind fixing them.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Great thanks for your input.

If you don't mind me asking how much did the rebuild cost for your tranny and who did it??

I checked out your car domain leads and like the car man, i've seen it before.
It looks well taken care of, clean and real good with the stock 3way yet dropped suspension setup.

keep it up and thanks again for your reply.

Drew.
Thanks.

A shop in Henderson, NV called Stick Shift City did my transmission. I paid $400 for the parts (Bearings, synchros, seals, a new 3rd gear) and $500 on the labor. He was the cheapest I could find but he has a good reputation out here. Most of the shops wanted $1100 plus parts. :eek:

BTW, my lowered car with 166,000 miles is still on the original transmission. My other car started out with an automatic and I swapped in a 5 speed from a parts car, which turned out to be bad. I swapped in another transmission and it leaked everywhere. :rolleyes: At that point $900 for a rebuild didn't seem so bad being it most likely won't need work again. I have probably sunk more money into both cars than they are worth but I plan to keep both cars for a long time. They haul ass, look good, and are dirt cheap to register and insure. I'm happy and having to work on them occasionally doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
My 90 mx6 gt has a new tick in it that does not seem to be effecting the performance or shifting capabilities of the tranny YET!

I took it in to my local AAMCO shop and had it confirmed as a tranny problem and he wants 450 to swap my spare tranny in replacement of the one that is in it now ticking away. That seems like allot of money for something that is not certain to last so came my next thought...

Is there anyone out there making replacement trannys sold as new?
If so I would rather buy that and swap it in myself.

I was wondering what people are doing to swap trannys in these cars the quickest?
I was thinking of dropping the drivers subframe and brake suspension components while suspending the motor from a roof beam.
Any other ideas are appreciated.

Probably selling this rocket after the tranny swap!
Tooooo much money into her...
as far as a stronger tranny, not gonna happen!
some are great, and some fall apart. (most do eventually)
as far as 450 for labour, thats really not too bad. There not one of the easiest to do.
There not really hard, but compared to most fwds, there not the easiest or fastest is what I meant.

now you say your tranny is ticking???
HUH???

I think you may be about to spend alot of time, or money, doing a swap that sin't gonna help......

you sure the tick isn't comming from the engine or, CV joint?
That would make alot more sence then a tranny ticking.....

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
as far as a stronger tranny, not gonna happen!
some are great, and some fall apart. (most do eventually)
as far as 450 for labor, thats really not too bad. There not one of the easiest to do.
There not really hard, but compared to most fwds, there not the easiest or fastest is what I meant.

now you say your tranny is ticking???
HUH???

I think you may be about to spend alot of time, or money, doing a swap that sin't gonna help......

you sure the tick isn't coming from the engine or, CV joint?
That would make alot more sence then a tranny ticking.....
Both cv joints are new and deff is tranny u can hear the tick change tones as you mess with the shifter handle moving it from side to side and what not.
Plus we had it on the hoist at aamco tranny shop and deff was coming from the tran.
The part that tricks me is it has no effect on performance at all, no hard shifts or gear grinding going on at all or lack of pick up, anything...?

I'm gonna continue driving her for the moment and hope she holds up. Good so far.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Sounds like something inside is coming apart.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
i have a trans out of a PGT from the junkyard for 37$ and it shifts perfectly

1 - 9 of 9 Posts