Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I need a little help here, I am new to the import scene and need some assistance in my Auto tranny, I have a MX with 6 cyl. It seems like it has a skip or a miss in it, when I get on it it sh!ts and gets, but if I'm putting along (which I rarely do) it seems like it drags a little. I have been told to have the tranny flushed, I know the stock one was replaced right before I bought it, but as far as the mechanics who did it...well lets just say when they changed the brakes, they forgot to fill the brake fluid and my first test drive resulted in a very scary slow down for the Po-Po who pulled me over. Any ideas or things to check would be greatly appreciated.:confused: :confused: :( :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
automatic gearbox

The fluid level in these gearboxes has to be maintained within the limits on the dipstick for the box to work properly.

The dipstick is just behind the air filter and has an orange top.

If there is any doubt about the quality of the oil in the box I would drain it off (undo the plug in the bottom of the torque converter), drop the fluid pan (get a big tray - oil will go absolutely everywhere!) and wash out the oil filter in the pan. Remove the oil cooler (just behind the front air dam and empty and wash that out too and place the oil cooler lines in a bucket to drain.

Reassemble, and when refilling, remember the gearbox takes 8.8 litres of oil. The oil level will probably start to register on the dipstick before you've added this much. Let some oil out through the torque converter plug and continue adding new oil until >8.8 litres of oil have gone it. This will dilute the abrasive particles and old oil in the gearbox. The more oil you add, and the more times you let oil out of the bottom of the torque converter, the greater the dilution.

Mazda recommend a gearbox oil change every 24000 miles but the oil will be degrading significantly by then. If you live in one of the southern states or if you drive the car hard (i.e. track days) it's not only worth halving the change interval but also getting hold of a better oil cooler as the Mazda one is a little undersized

You will only need to flush the trans if the old oil looks black, or smells of burning. Unfortunately, if the box has been that badly neglected, you may be in need of a replacement anyway.

Check the fluid level on a weekly basis.

regards,

Ian Chequer

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
a few more points

Warm the transmission up before changing the oil and refer to the owner's manual for details on checking the fluid level.

regards,

Ian Chequer

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks alot

I can't thank you enough, all the mechanics around here are gear heads and they all had the same reply "I don't work on cars that don't run on american muscle" stereotypical @$$holes.

Thanks again,
Craig

1 - 4 of 4 Posts