Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

so in two weeks i am going to be do a transmission swap from atx to mtx.

i should have all the parts, the only ones i am concerned about are the discrepencies on the halfshalf. this is fine worst comes to worst i will order new ones at the time i have only part of the drivers side (not reall ysure which)

i did have one question tho.

i have the mtx intermediate shaft from a 93 (3bolt) but i have a 97, does can someone advise me whether or not you can switch the mounting bracket? or do i have to get an entire new intermediate shaft with carrier bearing and bracket.. (this is urgent)

but anyways..
i am a fairly descent with mechanic, but i have never done anything major.

now i am asking those who have done this before or even just replaced the tranny.

would you recomend pulling the motor, or leaving it in disconnecting the mounts and working with everything in the car.

there is a good write up about leaving it in the car,

does anyone have a good write up on how to pull a motor?

thx and karma for help and these links.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I answered yor other thread also, but it is way easier to do it in the car. Once you get everything out of the way, as far as suspension and all of the jazz it is relatively easy. With the engine in the car you wil loosen the mounts and tilt the engine that is it. But if you really want to pull the motor, you will need to drain antifreeze and othe fluids. I think it is well worth the extra little hassle of blocking the car up and working underneath it rather than pulling the whole motor, that is a bit excessive for this job.

My thoughts for say no to pulling the motor is the following: You stated that you have never done anything this major before. Pulling the motor to hook up a tranny (the your swapping from atx to mtx) and putting it back in may leave you with two many variables at the end if you dont hook everything up right. If you leave the motor in then if you have problems you will have a narrower scope of places to look for the error.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
A transmission install is, in general, easier with the engine/tranny out of the car. I always struggle with lining the MTX up to the engine with it in the car. But outside the car, I seem to get it on the first attempt.

I agree with jaegzie above though. For your first time, don't do it. Too many harnesses to disconnect that you might forget to reconnect. Also draining the coolant is simple but time consuming.

With the transmission off, you're one engine mount away from pulling the engine though.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thx guys..

i think i will leave it in due to that advice..

anyone know what wiring schematics i should have? And where i can get em.

im just trying to get prepared before the swap so i dont get too frustrated during.

·
Registered
223 Posts
You have a 97 correct. I will have to look, i had written down the wiring to get the CEL to turn off but I dont know where they are right now. Otherwise to get it running look in the write up by chunchoy. To get it running at first just make the jumps to the Park/N safety switch. After that works, then I would wire the others in. My 96 Cruise worked and everything just by doing the switch without changing the harness or any other wiring. I just had to get CEL off after that and revers lights. I never wired the safety switch in either. Make sure if you search when you look at the wiring schematics that you get the OBDII diagrams.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks again man.. if you find any helpful wiring diagrams lemme know... everything helps ..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts