Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys its been a Sad day for my MX6
And it made me cry as my Transmission died
About 2 blocks from my house its starting to rev and nope not a gear would go in no reverse or 1,2,or drive.

I was really upset and dissapointed but... i took it to AAMCO Transmissions and they just treid to rip me off with the outrages prices. So i took it to MR Transmission and they tried to rip my off too but i fought for like 2 hours on the phone and Im getting refurbished parts in there total price is 1225.00 + tax (15%) Its still lots of money on my budget. I tired other options but they would not put a tranny from the reckers in. My car has 236000 K on it.
I was woundering if any of you had similar transmission problems. THis guy was saying all the stuff about how bad these transmissions are etc I dont know if he was trying to make a extra buck or not Just want to hear your opinions. THanks

·
Registered
666 Posts
He wasn't lying, the tranny's do suck. I've already replaced mine. I got a junkyard piece in good condition for $400 bucks. If he wouldn't put one in from a junkyard, then take it somewhere else.
never, and I mean NEVER EVER take anything to Aamco, ever.
They are rapers.
If you have any mechanical skill at all, the tranny isn't horrible to replace. Me and a friend have done it 6 times now <long story> It's fairly time consuming though, and you need a really good set of tools. It's not feasible for everyone, but, my friend's dad is a Snap On dealer.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Aside from the weak 2nd gear synchromesh (just like the 323 GTX), I don't think the manual trannies are bad at all. The Autos are definitely not so good though - hopefully that was Fords fault.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well i got the tranny fixed I payed 1503$ with TAX
Like i said earlier i argued like crazy on the phone to get a lower price. I got everything rebuilt Hopefully it will last me a long time. And it better not die after my 90day warranty is up. Thses are the part were broken that they said Clutches, RoterConverter, Pump, Manual leaver switch, plus another but i dont remeber.
But its hard to believe all these parts broke at once.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I'm pretty happy with the mx6's A/T, though i wish i had found a 5 speed, im pretty satisfied overall, though it does shift a little hard, and that quick 'power' downshift is pretty cool, but gets to me after ahwile.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts