Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay since i got my car, hold has never worked. but now.......

Gear lights
Power/Economy lights

are all incosistant.

and also the car doesnt go into D very often. the D light isnt on and its like 1/2 engaged or something (revs but minimal movement). When the D light is on it drives like a dream.

Ive had enough of it and I so want to sell the car ATM.

if you have ANY ideas, please post even if you arent sure :)

PS i have replaced the HOLD switch and the EC-AT controller.

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I might also add the tranny was partially rebuilt 5months ago,

and also quite often when i start the car it just clicks once, and to get it working i need to jerk the selector thing around.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I had a cream/goldish colour 1st gen a couple of years ago and it was like that I mean not exactly but similar...it did go in drive but drove really slow and extremely poor acceleration....I didnt really figure out what was wrong but I reckon the D gear was gone and basically needed a new gearbox....I ended up selling it...

well I bought it like that with the hope to get it fixed cheap but then noticed it wont be cheap so sold it with $250 profit (bought for $2500 of this asian dude)...

I'de say you need another transmission....ofcourse if you can take it out yourself and put it back it would be cheaper...

There was this auto tranny repairer down in lonsdale that told me it would cost me just $250 for taking the box out and put it back, over all about $1200 to get it fixed...

You might be able to buy a box cheap in the paper...the funny thing was that as soon as I sold the car another guy interested in the car called up and he said he's got a box for it he paid $400 and now he wants the car and I said mate you are a bit late its sold...he goes ahh well do you know the guy who bought it so he might be interested in the box and i go like no I dont have their contact number or anything...that was a couple of years ago..

you can buy the whole car for wrecking reall cheap and take the stuff you need and sell the rest (parting out)..thats what I might do actually for the manual box and few bits and pieces maybe keep the engine or something...

I am actually thinking of sellingh mine as well......who ever owned it they trashed it.....

good luck!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
well a rebuilt tranny 5 months ago......thats highly unusual but this is what happened now....

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
91 is your car blue? cause if it is the last owner did thrash the [fizzle] outta it.

edit: i dont really want to be rude, (if it came across that way)

but I sorta knew a guy with a blue 1st gen that had the auto cluster etc. tinted taillights, exhaust, bov etc. if its that one he used to do full turbo spool clutch dumps and genrally thrash it out. but you could get a wreck and fix the mechanical side of things. (or rebuild and have a sure quality setup)

goodluck for you too!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
tx5turbo said:
91 is your car blue? cause if it is the last owner did thrash the [fizzle] outta it.

edit: i dont really want to be rude, (if it came across that way)

but I sorta knew a guy with a blue 1st gen that had the auto cluster etc. tinted taillights, exhaust, bov etc. if its that one he used to do full turbo spool clutch dumps and genrally thrash it out. but you could get a wreck and fix the mechanical side of things. (or rebuild and have a sure quality setup)

goodluck for you too!
hehe you are damn right. well what happened was, we went to see it and I did a test drive and I told him as well that the turbo has issues and the car should drive better and i mean much better, also he told me the gearbox the 5th gear is gone....so with knowing all that I did like to buy the car and fix it but never thought it will be si complicated....

I had to change the turbo and water pump which well is normal, but the way it drive is the issue now...idling on 1500 and power loss similar to zorbs...

I wanted to buy the car as is and fix it and do it up, and if I dont sell it well I probably do....I kinda knew that the car is trashed befre I buy it by the look and drive of the car....obviously whoever do a tint tail lights and BOV and lower and 5th gear is gone, did trash the car...but the thing I dont understand that why people dont look after their cars and treat them like animals....(well even animals aint treated that way)...i am not pointing it to the person I bought it he was a nice fellow anyways...but I mean generally...

soon I'd be looking for some custom manifold and IC's and a T3 perhaps....hopefully the head is fine and apart from that there shuldnt be anything else that could cause mechanically problems in the engine.....

I can sell the car the same price I bought it with no problem, I'll take the exhaust and springs off and can sell it for the price I bought no drama as all the cars I had so far I sold them with profit easily....so havent lost any money yet on the cars...

·
Registered
246 Posts
I just did a gearbox swap on a manual car, could prolly be done in a day or two if you had the patience, a helping hand and know enough about cars mechanically. But yeah get someone to check the electrics first, could just be a bad connection somewhere. Try checking all the plugs and connections, sometimes the earth connection on the gearbox goes bad. I really don't know much about auto boxs though.

I was also one of those people to buy a thrashed car, I'm not sure if the previous owner thrashed it or it just got thrashed when the car yard had it, but what do you expect when buying a second hand turbo car???

91gd626turbo you are doing very well not loosing any money on your cars, perhaps you should right a book about it... :lol:

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
TX5F2T said:
I just did a gearbox swap on a manual car, could prolly be done in a day or two if you had the patience, a helping hand and know enough about cars mechanically. But yeah get someone to check the electrics first, could just be a bad connection somewhere. Try checking all the plugs and connections, sometimes the earth connection on the gearbox goes bad. I really don't know much about auto boxs though.

I was also one of those people to buy a thrashed car, I'm not sure if the previous owner thrashed it or it just got thrashed when the car yard had it, but what do you expect when buying a second hand turbo car???

91gd626turbo you are doing very well not loosing any money on your cars, perhaps you should right a book about it... :lol:
HEHE...yeah thanks....a book...I guess not ready for that yet...

that is true, you can not buy a 15 year old turbo car that is not trashed, but perhaps it would be a good idea to look after them better but some people just cant do that...

anyways I can not and will not complain about it because I was aware of the condition of the car before I bought it as the previous owner told me a bit and I also found out a fit myself when doing a test drive....

but exactly when I was short of cash it put me down, with turbo and water pump etc etc....its just my bad luck but soon or later ima convert to aftermarket manifold and turbo setup....

also would you know if the 5th gear slip would be a simple issue or a big one? I am sure it would not eb electrical anyways.....but sometimes these cars surprise us...

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i know the person that had my car last (sorry Mark if you read this) trashed it, he even blew the box. But my other tx5 turbo definately hadnt been trashed, just mis treated, the guy bought it in 1989 with 30k on the clock, had it until 2 years ago (still pristine till that date) and them him and his wife divorced and she didnt take car of it at all.

TXSTYL: Ill check the earth

fav_flav: ill do that after checking the earth.

I thought id traced it to the computer but it wasnt, I guess atleast that is eliminated now.

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
can anyone tell me where abouts the earth wire is on this thing?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
every suggestion is good but

It's very possible the cable and it's position with the selector is out.

these box's ain't that Electronic. the actual ignition cut out or inhibitor is in on the selector ontop of the box it also sends a signal to the ATX ecu and dash for it's displays.

you can see it ontop of your ATX box in the engine by below where the BOV sits.

possible a bit more tension or reposition of the unit might cure your problem

·
Registered
762 Posts
well said rodhog....thats what i am thinking.....the inhibitor switched tend to play up on most auto's so that is the first thing i would check...like i said if you gear position etc doesnt even light up sometimes....its definetly somethin to do with the electrics....my black turbo has a starting problem sometimes as the engine doesnt even crank....so what i do is play with the gear selector up and down and then after i place it in neutral it starts....a common problem of the inhibitor switch....

also just to add....turbo cars are built to be thrashed - thats why you get a turbo car...you just have to service them etc .... so dont think you can go out there and buy a turbo car that hasnt had a bit of thrashing - all cars get it from everyone...thats what they are built for!

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the only reason I am not checking out the inhibitor switch is the fact that its been pulled out twice in 5 months, if they could have made more money by saying its broken.

also what about hold not working?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
lool....true...but there are different types of trashing....trashing and not looking after the car is not good.....these cars for what they give us sure deserve a bit of respect....originally turbos aint made to be trashed but nowdays people trash them....and add some accessories for fun...like bov's cause they like the sound of em and thats why they rev it up to show off and finally trash em...lool

but from a 15 year old car you cant expect better....hehe my car when i bought it the sunroff cover was so dirty as if there was some coke sprayed to it...that is just disgusting....how culd some people drive in them.....i guess it was the leak from the sunroof but it was dirty.....they could have at least washed it hehehehe.....

I always sell my cars clean serviced and dont trash them so bad, maybe drag a few times but dont really kick it hard cause these cars aint brand new 2000+ models so I look after them...but yeah some just buy it and destroy it and sell it....

ima hopefully recond my engine and make it as good as new and keep it or if I can get a better one I sell it and get that or save up for a 180sx or something.....;p

·
Registered
665 Posts
hey, how hard was it to to teh changeover?
where did you get all your information from?

TX5F2T said:

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
tomee said:
hey, how hard was it to to teh changeover?
where did you get all your information from?
it was a manual to manual car swap, not a manual conversion. :)

Also does anyone have any clues as to why my hold function isnt working?

(the switch is fine)

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well guess what!

my tranny didnt die, but my mums 89 tx5 gearbox did............

it will be rebuilt, anyone who has seen this car will see that it is worth it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts