Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

What would be the best way to bring the trim and mudflaps back to black? Paint? If so, what would be recommended? Especially my front mudflaps are very light gray - almost white. I know other 6's have this problem too - I can see them around. Thanks.

L

·
0 Posts
I have this same problem in fact that is the only thing keeping my car from excellence. I have already decided to get it and the whole car painted again some time in the summer, but u may just want to get it painted and some reason u really don't want to do that get some armall shine protector, it may bring some color back if not all

·
Registered
666 Posts
Well, I used black trim paint on mine, and it looked great.
For about 6 months, now the paint is peeling. I cleaned it well with alcohol, but, apparently something more needed to be done to it. Primer maybe? I don't know, but, you might want to find out before you paint it.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I have to gloat a little bit here and tell you guys I bought the second to last set of front mud gaurds left in the Western Hemisphere. They were only $15.00 !!!! Maybe there is still ONE SET LEFT???? Hurry!

·
Registered
379 Posts
GAH!! I hope so. the right side guard on Old Faithful was broken by a bump. :mad:

·
Registered
246 Posts
May sound weird...

But try atf fluid to bring back the black color. No joke, I use it on all exterior black trim and it really brings back the color and lasts pretty long.

Try painting the sidemolding, maybe a few coats of flexible preimer first then the color.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
When i painted my car...i used SEM black trim paint. Best stuff out! Looks great, even though i am about to paint it white...

·
Registered
246 Posts
SEM?

Is this a brand name or type of paint?
You did paint your sidemoldings and are painting them again? How did they last with chipping peeling etc?
Post some pics if you can !

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
SEM is a brand. It never chipped or faded, I want to paint the trim to be body color thats all. It looks really good still, its been a year.

·
Registered
246 Posts
MX-NICK

What kind of paint is that? Did youi prime it first? I want to do that to my car.
Do you have any pics??
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
No pics yet..scanner isnt working. You dont need prime since its already black. I recomend you buy Precleaner and use that as directed before you apply the SEM trim paint. You wont beable to find this stuff in the dollar store, you have to go to an automotive paint store. Dont paint it too thick, it will chip and crack...this stuff is proffesional..so use it like a proffesional, dont get all crazy with it. i did my grill too..looks really good..

·
Registered
246 Posts
What is that Precleaner stuff, something that you just clean the moldings with or is it more like a pint that you leave on?
What kind of paint is SEM? Is that just color matched paint for you application?
Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
I use tire-wet on my trim and it looks awesome. As for the mud flaps, the tire wet trick really dosent work on them, but if you use flat black paint it should work well. The only thing is that you may have to re-spray them every so often. Painting the trim I would use as a last resort, as the paint tends to flake and sometimes just dosent look right. Trust me, after using the tire wet often enough, it'll stay that way for longer.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Does anyone have a clue about what is up with those front flaps? What's the deal with that white crap? Looking at my NEW set I bought and haven't installed yet, they look like they are moulded in black. Why do they turn white after 10 years then? It almost looks like the white part was underneath the surface and the black got scraped off to show it, but I don't think that is the case.
All I know is that the fron flaps are in Mazda'a normal parts book. But the back flaps are in the "accessories book (with stuff like floormats). So maybe that suggests that the front and back flaps are made in different ways.

Sorry about long post on mundane topic.

·
Registered
405 Posts
i remember when you bought your last set of mud flaps Anti-Suv. i went to the dealer and check on them and they quoted me an outrageous price, was like $115 per flap. they also said they were in stock. who knows, these guys have yet to steer me in the wrong direction though, maybe they were wrong.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
That's wierd, I got mine for $15 like I said. And that was a clearance type of price I think, because there weren't hardly any left. Maybe they made some more or some got shipped over from Japan. I know they had to send my set down from Canada.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Precleaner is a chemical that you wipe on and wipe off....pre-cleaner, it cleans before you paint..hehe

SEM is a brand. Its in a spray can like spray paint but its thicker. Just ask for then at an auto paints store, they will help you out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts