Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
ya, it more common with them, some say the intake is in the way other just put up with it... mine does it also.. i just put up with it, it doesn't grind or nothing so i just learned how to drive with it, its been about 2 years and it doesn't bug me anymore, i just worked it so i know when the best times to shift is, also it gets better as the car warms up i also found

·
Registered
283 Posts
Definatly : Change transmission oil! no doubt on that, I'm planning on changing mine soon... A friend of mine had that problem and did it ; works like a charm now...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Metman said:
Definatly : Change transmission oil! no doubt on that, I'm planning on changing mine soon... A friend of mine had that problem and did it ; works like a charm now...
Okay, I'm having that problem too.....but I get a grinding into 1st......every other gear is nice and smooth.....would changing the tranny fluid help make this go away? or could it be something more serious?

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Verify the clutch doesn't need bleeding.

Also, I swear by GM Syncromesh like some others here. My trans has started whining some through the shifter (noisy as hell in 4th...) and I thought perhaps the Syncromesh I had in there was a problem. I had a trans shop put in the recommended 75W90 and dammit it all I could barely move the shifter the next day. 1-2 was a joke, my fillings were coming loose the syncros were so chattery. I bought three litres of GM Syncromesh again and had them installed at a Jiffy Lube that evening. The next day the car was back to normal; even cold, it shifts fine.

Syncromesh all the way.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
xxtavixx said:
Wow, I cannot believe no one has suggested adjusting the pedal, that's usually the best answer.

-Andrew
That strikes me as being like another famous "repair": my idle is low...crank it up by turning the idle screw! This isn't the answer; for years the car idled just fine with the factory settings...now that something has gone wrong somewhere else, the answer isn't necessarily to mask it by monkeying around with the idle screw to make up for a deficiency elsewhere.

Like the idle speed screw, the pedal should never really need adjusting unless, of course, the clutch master cylinder is replaced (and even then it's doubtful...) If the clutch is suddenly not fully releasing, and nothing else has changed, something other than the linkage is probably at fault.

Having bloviated all that, checking the pedal freeplay is certainly worthwhile in case someone has been messing around under the dash and not mentioned it... :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts