Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever the temp drops below 20 F, the starter will crank, but the motor will not start. Once the temp rises, the motor starts and idles horribly for a minute, then runs fine. Put a new battery in and problem persists. Could this be disty, VAF, or possibly crank sensor? Any help is greatly appreciated.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. The starter will crank for as long I keep trying to start the motor, but the motor will not start until the ambient tempature increases to greater than 20 degrees Fahrenheit.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
mmmm... a mechanical engineer can't figure this out... mmmmm ;) (this is a joke by the way).

If you have bad spark at low temps... check your plugs and wires... low temps will impede flow of electrons. Also, if the disty is going out (typical on 93 and 94 models) at low temps the contact point could be bad enough to not allow it to trun over.

If you have bad fuel at low temps... check the replace fuel filter and clean out fuel injectors. Make sure there is no water in your gas tank as well if this just started to happen.

If you have bad air at low temps... I have no clue!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
aggiedj02 said:
mmmm... a mechanical engineer can't figure this out... mmmmm ;) (this is a joke by the way).

Jack of all trades and master of none.:)
I think it might be spark plugs/wires, since I have not changed them in the 2 years I have had the car, and have no idea the last time they were changed. I replaced the fuel filter and pressure regulator a year ago, so do not think fuel is the culprit. Thanks for the help, though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts