Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
Alright, one of the most annoying things (besides clicking engines) is when you're working in your trunk and the darn thing won't stay up. The tree branch i'm using to hold it up just isn't impressing anyone anymore. Is there anything like a latch or a clip that you can get to hold it up? I don't know if i want to replace the hydrolic lift things (heard those get shot pretty quick) what do you guys think?

·
Registered
341 Posts
the same here......i got the umbrella to hold my trunk for now:D

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Replaced mine for $33 each side (should always replace both at once, otherwise it cocks the trunk as it lifts/holds).

Not "expensive" but not cheap either. Granted, mine were from Autozone, and you could probably find them cheaper elsewhere.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Yeah I use a golf club, It worked before I put the 80 foot spoiler on....

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have the same problem, it just started doing that recently and I didn't expected it and it almost cut me in half, damnit i was so embarresed, chicks walking by, laughing, ohh man that sucked, anywayz where can i get those, there is no Autozone near me, can i just get them anywhere? or dealer stealer part? I don't use any sticks or golf clubs, don't want people to make fun of me.
thanks

·
Registered
454 Posts
Freakin trunk mounts. Almost bought them for $45 each. :mad: Havent seem em cheaper. So I just use a big empty brake fluid bottle. Pretty sad man. Talk about embarassing.
:idea:I think i found the solution to all the trunk problems. I found some new device at Strauss Auto. Its almost the same setup as a trunk strut. Basically, it works by placing a stopper on the strut when its up. I havent used it yet, but from its looks, I would say it affixes to the vehicle. All you have to do to "turn it off", is to push some release spring , and the trunk comes down. Price=$7.99 each. I believe it will be a worthwile investement. I'll purchase it this weekend, and let u guys know how it holds up.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Trunk Lift

I've had that "gadget' from Strauss stores for years. i'm on my 2nd one after someone was 'helping' me close the trunk without releasing the 'gadget'. Basically its just a plastic stick that supports the trunk strut when it's open. It works great and i have a wing on the trunk also!:)

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
zdama said:
I have the same problem, it just started doing that recently and I didn't expected it and it almost cut me in half, damnit i was so embarresed, chicks walking by, laughing, ohh man that sucked, anywayz where can i get those, there is no Autozone near me, can i just get them anywhere? or dealer stealer part? I don't use any sticks or golf clubs, don't want people to make fun of me.
thanks
Any auto parts store should have them. Not a dealer part... get it wherever you can find it. There's nothing fancy or unique about them, it's just an air cylinder.

NAPA appears to have them as well, for $30 each...

After getting hit in the head and legs so often, I figured it was worth the $65 I paid....

·
Registered
159 Posts
I use an old 9 iron...works great. The grip don't scratch up the underside of the trunk. I'll get around to new lifts next year......
maybe.

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
I'm assuming you all have spoilers, because I used to have the same problem. Simple solution:

TAKE OFF THE SPOILER

Not only does the trunk stay open on its own now, but it looks soooo much better.

·
Registered
787 Posts
JC Whitney has em for about $30 each. You must specify with spoiler or without. The wing adds weight and needs beefier supports.
I was surprised how stiff those struts are. I was trying to compress one by hand before installing them.:eek:
Couldn't do it.
Now I just turn the key, give the wing a nudge, and BAM! Up she goes!:jump:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Mavric03 said:
I'm assuming you all have spoilers, because I used to have the same problem. Simple solution:

TAKE OFF THE SPOILER

Not only does the trunk stay open on its own now, but it looks soooo much better.
Take off the spoiler, yeah thats a real simple solution @- .. lol, then you gotta fill the holes and then paint the trunk to blend it nicely, otherwise itll look crappier, and plus the mx6 looks like its missing something without that sleek spoiler, which mind you is very light since its not a big ricer spoiler its only fiberglass.. the simplest thing is to buy pumps from pep boys or discount auto i baught em from there 35 for a pair, they snap right in to the studs bolted to the sides of the frame around the trunk, and they work great.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Mavric03 said:

TAKE OFF THE SPOILER

Yes i have stock Ls spoiler:rolleyes: , i know i need to replace the lifters:E , auch.......my head........................

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Nivram said:
You can get the struts re gassed for very little.
You can? I never heard of that. Besides which, chances are that the seals are blown on the cylinders, which is why they don't work anymore anyway... so re-gassing may just make you visit again after a short time...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just replaced my trunk supports. The new ones work great. Think they were about 30 bucks each at a Canadian Tire. Yup, only in Canada. A buddy offered me this suggestion before. Keep a set of vice grips in the trunk and clamp the shock where the crome male piece enters the black female piece. That'll keep it open and its a little more low profile than a stick, umbrella, or golf club.

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
/\/\X6Ster said:
Take off the spoiler, yeah thats a real simple solution @- .. lol, then you gotta fill the holes and then paint the trunk to blend it nicely, otherwise itll look crappier, and plus the mx6 looks like its missing something without that sleek spoiler, which mind you is very light since its not a big ricer spoiler its only fiberglass..
The spoiler probably comes close to doubling the weight of the trunk...mine stays up no problem now. I still haven't got around to filling the holes though, just covered them with some silver vinyl tape, and you don't notice unless up close looking at it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts