Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. Just became a member.

Well, I am thinking about buying '93 MX6(V6, manual, loaded. 65k mi)
I drove this one today and become to love it except

1. Oil-leak in the plug well
2. Oxidized surface(like many other people already mentioned.. some sorta web-formed. but seems not that severe ecause i could get rid of those layers with simple finger rubbing.. :eek: )
3. Worn-out tire

Previous owner replaced timing belt about a month ago and I guess tuneup would be needed(will it solve oil leak at the same time..?) and he asks $5,000 for this baby and I am thinking about negotiating a couple of hundred bucks.

Dear experts in this forum.
I'd like to ask you guys,
1. Is it worth $5,000?:rolleyes: (Actually seller is one of my friend.. so..)
2. And I've seen some threads about bad distributor of '93 models... how can I tell the disty had been (or should be)replaced?
3. How much will it cost for the tune-up usually and is it DIY-able?
4. Especially for gc95mx6, I become to know you're in Raleigh from the previous thread.. could you plz guide me how can I deal with tune-up business in this area?(Well, I'm a grad. student in NCSU living in Raleigh...)

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
the caliper on the right rear brake side also tends to seize on the 93 and 94 models. Ask if he had to replace that as well. If not then just look out for it when you purchase. Also, if it does go out, then replace it with a 95 and up caliper b/c the problem was fixed that year and up.

Tires run about a $100 a piece if memory serves right. They are low profile tires so they are a little bit more. It might actually be cheaper b/c it's been a long time since I've bought a tire for my car, so i don't remember very well.

On www.kbb.com the listed value for the car is 6,545. The only option added I added was a sunroof. So I'd say that 5000 is real good, but I haven't seen the car either.

The car will misfire if the distributor is bad. Listen to the exhaust and watch the rpm gauge. If the rpm gauge dips a lot and the exhaust sound quiets or changes in an irregular manner then that means a bad distributor most likely (or timing belt but he just changed that). Also, upon acceleration the car will not accerlerate smoothly. Those two have been my experiences with bad distributors caps.

As for the tune-up, go to a Mazda dealership and ask how much a tune-up is. They are usually pretty cheap. also, get a well-trusted mechanic to look the car over before the purchase. Tell him the same things too look for you told us. Spending $100 dollars to potentially save thousands is worth it.

Lastly, look for any weld marks on the frame. This means the car has been in an accident. Sorry it's long, but I hope it helped.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well,
if there is oil in the plug holes on the front bank you could do it yourself cheaply and it will only take about a half an hour. If it is the back bank, it will be a little more time consuming because the intake manifold will have to be removed:( but overall this shouldn't effect your decision to buy. Good Luck!

·
Registered
806 Posts
aidee said:
Hello. Just became a member.

Well, I am thinking about buying '93 MX6(V6, manual, loaded. 65k mi)
I drove this one today and become to love it except

1. Oil-leak in the plug well
2. Oxidized surface(like many other people already mentioned.. some sorta web-formed. but seems not that severe ecause i could get rid of those layers with simple finger rubbing.. :eek: )
3. Worn-out tire

Previous owner replaced timing belt about a month ago and I guess tuneup would be needed(will it solve oil leak at the same time..?) and he asks $5,000 for this baby and I am thinking about negotiating a couple of hundred bucks.

Dear experts in this forum.
I'd like to ask you guys,
1. Is it worth $5,000?:rolleyes: (Actually seller is one of my friend.. so..)
2. And I've seen some threads about bad distributor of '93 models... how can I tell the disty had been (or should be)replaced?
3. How much will it cost for the tune-up usually and is it DIY-able?
4. Especially for gc95mx6, I become to know you're in Raleigh from the previous thread.. could you plz guide me how can I deal with tune-up business in this area?(Well, I'm a grad. student in NCSU living in Raleigh...)
Need to replace the valve cover gasket, concerning the oil leak
You might be able to do a thorough detail job and get rid of some of the swirling I think you are describing. That would consist of a wash, polish, glaze and wax treatment.
One thing I learned when buying a car was to look at the condition of tires. One worn out tire means that they have not been rotated properly, very bad alignment or they just simply put a tire on here and there. Generally this is a turn off when buying a car for me.
$5000, you can probably get the price down, but it sound about right. The number given above is probably the retail price which is what a dealer might sell it for, not a private seller.
Tune up is a DIY job and doesn't cost much. You can get the parts pretty cheap at carparts.com usually as they have cheap prices and coupon at www.importhookup.com , just don't expect wonderful customer service or fast delivery on everything, but for the price its a good trade. Actually, they don't always ship slow, but just want to forwarn you.
Last tip, search this forum for "buying mx6" or something like that as we have covered a lot of things to look out for when buying a new mx-6.

·
Registered
169 Posts
In L.A., most '93s have high mileage. When I was shopping around, I found '93's ranging from 116000-164000 miles.

I got a SWEET deal on mine. I bought it from an owner for $4400 with 106000 miles on it. The car is excellent condition, and has all the maintainence paperwork.

`jjj

·
Registered
444 Posts
i luv my car!

i just bought my mx6 a week ago. it had a small tear in the leather, the passenger side mirror was cracked, and was oxidized pretty badly. they fixed the leather, ordered me a new mirror (free of charge, of course) and buffed the s**t out of the roof for $4600 with 85000 mi. my suggestion is to get them to do the work for you (cuz then you know it CAN be done!) and pay the asking price

1 - 6 of 6 Posts